What would an uninspired calling look like?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
oliblish

What would an uninspired calling look like?

Post by oliblish » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:34 pm

A lot has been said about Joseph Bishop and what he did as mission president at the MTC. Why did he continue to receive leadership callings for years while he now admits that he had a problem with molesting women? Was his calling inspired? If so what is the advantage of having inspired callings?

And if his calling was inspired, what would an uninspired calling look like?
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Corsair

Re: What would an uninspired calling look like?

Post by Corsair » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:01 pm

oliblish wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:34 pm
Wouldn't all of the callings I have held in the last ten years qualify as somewhat "uninspired" based solely on the fact that I hold the administrator password for "newordermormon.net"?

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:05 pm

Corsair wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:01 pm
oliblish wrote:
Wouldn't all of the callings I have held in the last ten years qualify as somewhat "uninspired" based solely on the fact that I hold the administrator password for "newordermormon.net"?
I believe that makes them extra inspired. When groupthink makes the sheep harm the other sheep, who else can you call but a wolf? ;)
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:18 pm

Most callings are not made by inspiration, in fact they are made by desperation.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:53 pm

Let's see....there was that season of life when my husband was constantly deploying, and I had a 4 and 2yo, and I was pregnant. I got called to be the nursery leader when I was pregnant with the third one. I said no. They were surprised.

I can think of others, but that was the only time I was smart enough to say "no" and not take it back when they pushed.

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:20 pm

Pick a scoutmaster, any scoutmaster.

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:35 pm

oliblish wrote:
A lot has been said about Joseph Bishop and what he did as mission president at the MTC. Why did he continue to receive leadership callings for years while he now admits that he had a problem with molesting women? Was his calling inspired? If so what is the advantage of having inspired callings?

Over the years, by accident really, I've found myself in a lot of smallish GA meetings. I'm an organizer and a system builder, so clerk and exec sec have been perpetual callings since my mission days. I'm not in charge of anything, but I'm often a fly on the wall in meetings with people who are.

I mention this because this question of callings and inspiration seems to be a popular topic, especially when the leadership gathers to talk among themselves. There is a strong belief among the brethren in foreordination, the idea that anyone who holds any position within the priesthood was ordained to that calling before they were born. They will stress that this also includes deacon and teachers quorum presidents. A person will be held responsible for how they fulfill their callings, but the fact that they've received it is evidence that God gave it to them long before the earth was formed.

God lines all things up in such a way that each person will receive the calling they were meant to have. This is why GA's run in the same social and family circles even before they are called, because God placed the preordained in the same vicinity to one another. This is why no one should ever worry too much about nepotism. You can't give a calling to one who wasn't meant to have it. It's divinely inspired by definition. This certainly takes some pressure off the calling giver, because they are only a conduit and not the decider.

Therefore pedophile bishops and rapist MTC presidents ARE divinely called, it's they who screwed it up, not the person who called them and certainly not the church which enabled it. How do we know the call was divine? Because it was given.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP