Prophet accommodations

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
2bizE

Prophet accommodations

Post by 2bizE » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:05 pm

When the prophet and others are on tours of the world, where do they stay? Where do they eat?
Do they always sleep in the homes of members? or stay at a highly secure hotel?
~2bizE

Brent

Re: Prophet accommodations

Post by Brent » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:13 pm

Marriott. Presidential suite. Wink wink nudge nudge.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:52 am

I think it used to be common that they would lodge with wealthy members. Not sure what they do when the accommodations aren't up to their standards. As mentioned, the Marriotts are about everywhere.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:19 am

We had an apostle visit our area a few years back and he stayed with the stake president who I believe is well to do but not wealthy. There are far more wealthy people in our stake. I think it was Christofferson.

Anyway, the more interesting part is that a friend of mine who is friends with the stake presidents wife said that the stake President’s wife offered Christofferson a lunch that was not up to standard (it was something I ate a lot of in college) and her husband was terribly terribly embarrassed. My source says that Christofferson graciously accepted the meal, but in the end I think they may have eaten something else instead, if I remember correctly.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:18 pm

Apostles used to stay with my in-laws back in the day. I'm our area now they get hotels.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:05 pm

I made arrangements for Elder Oaks when I was in a leadership position in our mission office in Spain. This was in the early 90's. We had to scout out a hotel and make a recommendation, that recommendation was then taken by an area "Director of Temporal Affairs" who made all the arrangements for real. We were told to look for at "5 and 4 star hotels in the Madrid area" The only 5 star hotel at the time was the Ritz Madrid at about $800/night we tried that one, because in our young missionary minds nothing was too good for an "Apostle of the Lord" This was rejected as being too ostentatious and might send the wrong message, and so we were directed to select amongst the "best of the 4 star hotels" which we did settling on maybe a Hilton for about $500/night. Meeting him and observing his attitude was a huge item on my shelf... I did NOT enjoy his visit at all.

Fast forward about 25 years to my time as SEC, when preparing for a visit from authorities, (I was there for 3 general authorities and 2 apostle visits) We would receive a list of demands prior to their arrival. I hesitate to call them "demands" but that's what they were, or at least how they are perceived by eager beaver stake presidencies. Very specific but different, some will stay in a hotel, some would like to stay in the stake president's home. Some want dinner out, but usually they do some kind of luncheon and dinner and lunch again that the Stake Relief Society Presidency is put in charge of. I did attend the GA dinners and felt guilty, frankly to be waited on by the RSP who was in my ward.

The apostle visit was the worst, the leader worship really started grating on me, and inevitably was the thing that broke my shelf. The apostles sent their demands, and there was substantial effort to impress them and make sure everything was "perfect," like they were some kind of royalty. All the talks about how the nursery leader is just as important a calling as a general authority came ringing in my ears as complete and utter horses**t! Then they strutted around like they owned everything and everybody. Dinner was very exclusive and the main course was prime rib. The landscaping was redone about three times, the building cleaned about three times, everything was orchestrated from the first second to the last. Just the jockeying that was done so see who got to sit where was embarrassing to me. I understand several people were using their paid time off, scurrying around trying to make this all happen and it was super stressful.

Part of it for me was DW's involvement in it as well, I won't speak for her here, but there was considerable stress. I think that was the straw that broke the camels back (or shelf) for me. Later after all this preparation when they spoke, they were so dismissive of legitimate questions, and frankly rude to some of the questioners. The next day I started an internet search, I found and read the CES Letter.

When I talk about this experience to TBMs (only a couple of which know the depth of my disaffection) they are very, very defensive of the apostles. "It was just the people around them that think they need to be treated that way" "They need to be taken care of, because they travel a lot" and stuff like that. I suppose it shouldn't bother me all that much, and I did have a very heavily laden shelf before the apostles came, but that was the moment I realized how much these men did NOT prophesy, see or reveal anything. The way they comported themselves left me feeling betrayed by my religion in a way I can't fully describe.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:11 am

Slavereeno, your post really puts the situation in perspective.

The apostles have two options.

Stay with members and get adoration, attention, and hero worshipped.

Or

Stay at a hotel and eat at Chili's to earn loyalty points, go unnoticed, and a bad bout of diarrhea.

What would you choose?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:23 am

MerrieMiss wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:19 am
something I ate a lot of in college
Chicken flavored top ramen?
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:08 am

didyoumythme wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:23 am
MerrieMiss wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:19 am
something I ate a lot of in college
Chicken flavored top ramen?
My bet would be PBJ.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:44 am

I live in heartland SLC. Back in my TBM days, Boyd Packer and his wife came to our stake. We were prepared by the SP on how to act--told about the "unwritten" rules of such an engagement.

I was confused. REALLY confused.

You see, we were to go silent when he came in, and stand as he walked to the stand. We were to remain standing until he sat, and ONLY rise when he rose at the end.

Now here is the confusion: according to my earlier training, I was taught that a child who was handicapped was ALREADY exalted--they were here on this earth to gain a body, but didn't need to prove themselves because they were saved automatically. I've seen dozens of such handicapped children (and adults) in my life, and never have I seen someone stand for them. And here is Boyd Packer coming down the aisle and everyone stands, like he is something MORE special than an already qualified to be exalted child?

Nope. It doesn't resonate.

I remember watching him as he walked...all solemn and serious. It creeped me out. OOooooo....just thinking about it creeps me out. These guys don't promote humility, they aggrandize themselves.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:38 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:44 am
You see, we were to go silent when he came in, and stand as he walked to the stand. We were to remain standing until he sat, and ONLY rise when he rose at the end.
Oh yeah, this stuff too, I forgot how unsettling that was to me. This is also the case for every other meeting, (SP, luncheon etc.) with any GA or apostle in my experience.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:59 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:38 pm
Rob4Hope wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:44 am
Oh yeah, this stuff too, I forgot how unsettling that was to me. This is also the case for every other meeting, (SP, luncheon etc.) with any GA or apostle in my experience.
"Verily, verily I say unto thee, they have their reward...."
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:52 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:05 pm
The only 5 star hotel at the time was the Ritz Madrid at about $800/night we tried that one, because in our young missionary minds nothing was too good for an "Apostle of the Lord".
It was probably the name rather than the price that caused the Area guy to reject it as too ostentatious. Didn't want the apostle to be seen as "Puttin' on the Ritz".
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Phil Lurkerman

Post by Phil Lurkerman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:11 am
Slavereeno, your post really puts the situation in perspective.

The apostles have two options.

Stay with members and get adoration, attention, and hero worshipped.

Or

Stay at a hotel and eat at Chili's to earn loyalty points, go unnoticed, and a bad bout of diarrhea.

What would you choose?
I'll take the runs in the privacy of a hotel any day.
I was once a cafeteria Mormon on a hunger strike. Have since found a buffet elsewhere.