Ex-Mormonism is just as crazy as Mormonism!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Mormorrisey

Re: Ex-Mormonism is just as crazy as Mormonism!

Post by Mormorrisey » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:28 am

Been thinking about this a lot recently. I don't know who came up with the NOM tagline, "A place for free-thinking Mormons who refuse to be told what to believe," but I can't think of a better mission statement for this digital safe haven. Thank you for whoever or what group discussion led to that particular statement, because that's exactly how I describe myself now. It's brilliant, actually.

In that light, I too find the strident exmormon as irritating as any strident mormon, and that includes reddit. I don't need to be told that going to church "supports the system," that calling for any possible change merely perpetuates the organization, and I have to drag my loved ones kicking and screaming out of the church because its toxicity will destroy them eventually. Listen, I'm anxious for the day that Sis. M. sees the light about the church too, but in the meantime, she's as free to believe exactly what she wants, without me hovering over her like a mother hen. All I want, all I ever want, is for my family, those around me and my ward members to leave me with my own thoughts and respect them, as I will do to them. The strident mormon doesn't want this, and neither does the strident exmormon - it IS two sides of the same coin. We live in a world that demands thought change, and I for one have had enough of both sides. As I'm now a grumpy old man, stay the hell off my lawn and out of my head, both of you!

Great rant, RR. I feel your pain.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:15 am

Mormorrisey wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:28 am
In that light, I too find the strident exmormon as irritating as any strident mormon, and that includes reddit. I don't need to be told that going to church "supports the system," that calling for any possible change merely perpetuates the organization, and I have to drag my loved ones kicking and screaming out of the church because its toxicity will destroy them eventually.
You said it perfectly! I too worry about the toxic things said at church, I don't want to give more money to the corporation, but ultimately I want my wife and kids to be happy. If they're happier inside the church, fine. If they're happier outside of it, great! It's not up to me to determine what makes them happy though, they have to decide that for themselves.

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:38 pm

The mormons started it.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:34 pm

I like to say that the mormons wish for Jesus to come back and burn all the wicked. The rabid exmormons simply replace that wish with the collapse of the church. Neither is going to happen.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:12 pm

Linked wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:38 pm
The mormons started it.
And... This is awesome!

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

TestimonyLost

Post by TestimonyLost » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:56 am

Mormorrisey wrote:

In that light, I too find the strident exmormon as irritating as any strident mormon, and that includes reddit. I don't need to be told that going to church "supports the system," that calling for any possible change merely perpetuates the organization, and I have to drag my loved ones kicking and screaming out of the church because its toxicity will destroy them eventually. Listen, I'm anxious for the day that Sis. M. sees the light about the church too, but in the meantime, she's as free to believe exactly what she wants, without me hovering over her like a mother hen. All I want, all I ever want, is for my family, those around me and my ward members to leave me with my own thoughts and respect them, as I will do to them. The strident mormon doesn't want this, and neither does the strident exmormon - it IS two sides of the same coin. We live in a world that demands thought change, and I for one have had enough of both sides. As I'm now a grumpy old man, stay the hell off my lawn and out of my head, both of you!
Love the whole thread and agree with a lot of it but this particular point really resonates with me. I lurk on the exmo subreddit regularly and there is an increasing number of threads that say something along the lines of, "If you know about X, you cannot morally stay in the church" or "How could TBMs be so dumb to believe?" A lot of folks who are able to move on from the church seem to completely forget they used to buy into it all and lose any sympathy for those still mired in it. They've traded one black and white worldview for another.

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:14 am

TestimonyLost wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:56 am
Love the whole thread and agree with a lot of it but this particular point really resonates with me. I lurk on the exmo subreddit regularly and there is an increasing number of threads that say something along the lines of, "If you know about X, you cannot morally stay in the church" or "How could TBMs be so dumb to believe?" A lot of folks who are able to move on from the church seem to completely forget they used to buy into it all and lose any sympathy for those still mired in it. They've traded one black and white worldview for another.
Same here. There is more nuance and gray area than some people are able to recognize.

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:30 am

TestimonyLost wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:56 am
Mormorrisey wrote:

I've also been told by my Stake President that Mormonism should be the most important, singular thing in my life, and that I should make it known that the activity of my wife and children are all that matter to me. If it's bullshit coming from the SP, then it's still bullshit coming from an ex-mormon. How about we all just chill out, let people make their own choices, and figure things out on their own.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP