Hi all really glad to find this place

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
Cadahangel

Hi all really glad to find this place

Post by Cadahangel » Tue May 15, 2018 12:35 pm

Hi, I am a former EQP 2nd counselor who was a former worship leader in an evangelical church as well. I have always had a love/hate relationship with the church. This most recent episode was brought on by going to a Christian music concert. I realized I felt the spirit stronger there than I had in the past 3 years at my ward.

I went on the search for something I felt was missing and decided to attend a local evangelical congregation and go to both worship service and sacrament meeting to see if I could fix what was missing. Before the day I prayed to God asking him to let me know what I should do because I felt a distance between us. The worship service was great. I felt motivated I felt very close to God. I then went to my ward and weird enough my pew was the only one that was missed getting the water during the sacrament. I thought it odd but then I had a feeling telling me to think about it. It made me think well "Jesus" is the water of life. Then I had a feeling it was time to leave my ward. This scared me greatly because my Parents and IL are both very strong TBM and I worry that my kids will be affected if I do this.

Well then the 2nd week started and I decided to do both again. The Worship service again was amazing. I talk to the Pastor after the service and as I am leaving I get a prompting telling me I should become a pastor and help others find Christ. So no hiding the change from family not only should I leave the church but I should convert others. Most I have spoken to within the Church are telling me this is Satan working on me trust me when I say because I have dealt with that side its not from him

Looking forward to the support of this community. I will need it as I come out to My Family as an Exmo and help my wife who has had doubts as well come into a new religion and new life. Thank you all for being there

IT_Veteran

Re: Hi all really glad to find this place

Post by IT_Veteran » Tue May 15, 2018 12:43 pm

Welcome!

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue May 15, 2018 1:48 pm

We are glad you are here. But surely there must be a story behind being a worship leader in an evangelical church. This is both fascinating not a Sunday activity we normally expect to hear with someone who is also in an EQ presidency. What church were you raised in? Are you a convert?

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue May 15, 2018 2:21 pm

Welcome!

How do you know the promptings were from God and not chemical endorphins your brain has released from an emotional response to the sermon and your talk with the Pastor?

It sounds like you're on the verge of a very big life change based on these feelings. You'll probably want to know for sure before you make some significant life decisions.

Good luck!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Cadahangel

Post by Cadahangel » Tue May 15, 2018 2:39 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:48 pm
We are glad you are here. But surely there must be a story behind being a worship leader in an evangelical church. This is both fascinating not a Sunday activity we normally expect to hear with someone who is also in an EQ presidency. What church were you raised in? Are you a convert?
Hi Corsair, I was raised in the church became atheist at 15 came back at 16 after getting to know the other side. Knew that if the demonic was real than god must be. Went on a mission came home early due to health issues. Met my Wife got married in the temple. Have 3 kids about 6 years ago I went inactive then 4 years ago I discovered an evangelical church and fell in love and got saved. I really love Christian music and so I was asked to be the worship leader of that church and wrote about 12 songs that the church I wrote them for still use. I left there after a year to appease the wife who was TBM at the time and went back to church and Moved to Utah. EQP was my last calling that ended 2 months ago. Then all this happened.
Red Ryder wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:21 pm
Welcome!

How do you know the promptings were from God and not chemical endorphins your brain has released from an emotional response to the sermon and your talk with the Pastor?

It sounds like you're on the verge of a very big life change based on these feelings. You'll probably want to know for sure before you make some significant life decisions.

Good luck!
I have had my experiences with spiritual promptings in the past. Throughout my life, even during my atheist period if I really look at it I have had kind of a hotline with God. I work on the personal relationship with him daily. I know when I'm excited and when I hear something. Its hard to explain. The #1 reason I know it was a prompting and not some kind of confirmation bias type situation is that the whole event scared me it wasn't something I want. Also, since then any question I have had I have been directed to the right resource for answers.

Thank you all for your support looking forward to helping where I can

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue May 15, 2018 2:39 pm

Deleted due to question being answered in earlier response.

Cadahangel

Post by Cadahangel » Tue May 15, 2018 2:41 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:39 pm
I agree about needing more background info about your time as an evangelical leader and having TBM parents and in-laws. Were they also evangelical at one time and everybody converted LDS?
No, they have been LDS forever. My first foray out of the doctrine was seeing spiritual people who weren't LDS and wondering how that can be.

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Tue May 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Welcome! Your background and expected future is definitely interesting for the NOM board.

May I ask, what has kept you anchored in Jesus through your up's and down's? Have you ever questioned the divinity of Jesus? Or do you have a nuanced Christology?
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:29 pm

Welcome!

Definitely curious to hear more about your story, and welcome to the board. :)

Cadahangel

Post by Cadahangel » Wed May 16, 2018 8:05 am

Arcturus wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:08 pm
Welcome! Your background and expected future is definitely interesting for the NOM board.

May I ask, what has kept you anchored in Jesus through your up's and down's? Have you ever questioned the divinity of Jesus? Or do you have a nuanced Christology?
I did question divinity in My Teens but through some experiences that most of the time I find too sacred to just share without building a relationship with them first. Since those experiences, I knew I was Christian at that point no matter what. I always considered Mormonism as extra to that knowledge one of the things that got me to leave is the church wanted to be too much of a middleman in my relationship with God.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed May 16, 2018 8:08 am

Did you grow up in an area where LDS is a minority sect and evangelical christianity is popular? IE southern US or Midwest?

Cadahangel

Post by Cadahangel » Wed May 16, 2018 8:36 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:08 am
Did you grow up in an area where LDS is a minority sect and evangelical christianity is popular? IE southern US or Midwest?
No, I actually grew up in Idaho in the so-called "bubble" LDS was the majority around me. Being Evangelical is equivalent to social suicide around these parts lol.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed May 16, 2018 8:54 am

Welcome :D

Bremguy

Post by Bremguy » Sat May 19, 2018 6:06 pm

Welcome aboard. May your journey be a safe and joyous one.

I think the difference in services is partly due to the fact, most other churches, their pastors, priest, etc, get some sort of theological training along the way. Also training in how to organize and run a congregation. For me any more, going to Church is just an act. I am trying to keep off the radar for now. Most LDS Services are the same week in and week out, with only a few exceptions, like a Primary program , ward conference. The same format, rehashed GC talks from rehashed GC Talks. Very little in the way of inspiration.

Like many here, I do believe in the Divinity of God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost, however, the Church tends to worship GA instead.

Once again welcome.
Live Long and Prosper

Guy

Post by Guy » Mon May 21, 2018 10:10 am

Welcom to NOM...
Fascinating to hear your story! Not a story we often hear on this forum! Can't wait to learn more. :-)
Happy Dissenter :D

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon May 21, 2018 6:21 pm

Cadahangel wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:35 pm
Most I have spoken to within the Church are telling me this is Satan working on me...
Welcome to NOM, Cadahangel! Funny how when you change your feelings about a religion somebody is going to think you're listening to Satan, regardless of where you're coming from and where you're headed. Satan is always conspiring with the other team :twisted:
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue May 22, 2018 10:45 am

Cadahangel wrote:
Most I have spoken to within the Church are telling me this is Satan working on me trust me when I say because I have dealt with that side its not from him
It probably won't help your cause, but it might help your mood to read about the "Good Guy Lucifer" meme.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue May 22, 2018 10:59 am

Corsair wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:45 am
It probably won't help your cause, but it might help your mood to read about the "Good Guy Lucifer" meme.
Great, now I am googling good guy Lucifer memes... What is disturbing is how many of them make sense.

Cadahangel

Post by Cadahangel » Tue May 22, 2018 11:45 am

Corsair wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:45 am
Cadahangel wrote:
Most I have spoken to within the Church are telling me this is Satan working on me trust me when I say because I have dealt with that side its not from him

Lol pretty funny