What are your hobbies?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Evil_Bert

Re: What are your hobbies?

Post by Evil_Bert » Tue May 15, 2018 4:30 pm

GoodBoy wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:48 pm

Games like Agricola, Pandemic, Scythe, Power Grid, Terraforming Mars, etc. I haven't actually tried wargames. I should give it a try.
I have played some of those. Trying to get my family to play is like pulling teeth.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Tue May 15, 2018 4:34 pm

Evil_Bert wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:30 pm
I have played some of those. Trying to get my family to play is like pulling teeth.
Yep. Me too. I have found some groups on Meetup.com and have even attended a couple conventions.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed May 16, 2018 8:14 am

fetchface wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:35 pm
I design vacuum tube amplifiers.
I'm quite intrigued by this one!

We just purchased a 67 Zenith entertainment console from an estate sale; I believe it was one of the first commercial solid state units. Record player and everything still works and sounds great so DW and I have pulled out all the old vinyl and started purchasing new spinners as well. Even the kids are into vinyl now.

Outside of the day job I get outside as much as possible. I shoot a lot of digital landscape, wildlife, timelapse, drone, astro, long exposure, etc. Sometimes I capture decent images, but mostly it's just about being out there. I love climbing the mountains and exploring the deserts. Utah is a fantastic place for this.

I also try to explore all the local brewery and distilleries and sample their crafts. I don't drink a lot but I have a lot of fun buying and trying.

DW and I are also big rock hounds; our yard and house are covered with cool rocks from all our adventures. For mother's day she got her own rock polisher, so now there are four barrels and the cement mixer churning away at our house. I think when I retire we'll probably own a rock shop somewhere in S. Utah.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed May 16, 2018 8:59 am

slk wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:22 pm
Slavereeno, thanks! I really feel like a loser now!
:oops: I edited it a little to sound less self-aggrandizing.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed May 16, 2018 10:11 am

slavereeno wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:37 pm

- Minecraft

:geek: :geek: :geek:
Wow! I'm not the only adult that plays Minecraft! :geek: :D I also have a RoBlox account too. I play with my DD.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Thu May 17, 2018 3:14 am

I like:

Baking
Hiking
Going to museums and zoos
Video Games
Travel
Trying new foods

The only one of those I do with any sort of regularity is video games and trying new food, I used to bake a lot more but since it is just me and the wife at home and we're both trying to diet I've pretty much had to give it up. I miss making loaves of sourdough bread by hand.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Thu May 17, 2018 5:39 am

• Computer programming/web design -- looking for coding buddies/mentors/mentees if anyone's into it ;)
  • Live music (wife and I are going to every show we can this year -- so much fun!)
  • PS4 (just got platinums on Nioh and Horizon: Zero Dawn; long-time hardcore Dark Souls fan)
  • Mobile games (Clash of Clans and Clash Royale mostly for the last 18 months or so)
  • Board/card games -- before my autistic toddler made it impossible to sit down and play. I still like the idea of these, though. :D
  • Podcasts -- comedy/political/educational/computer programming/gaming/and exactly zero Mormon-related ones are on my subscription list at this point.
  • TV -- wife and I like to binge watch various comedies and dramas. Currently watching Veep. Favorite of all time is Parks and Rec.
  • Music -- got Spotify last year, loving discovering all the new bands. Used to love singer-songwriter stuff and classic rock mostly, but I'm really into indie pop these days.
  • Reddit -- I spend more time browsing than I should. I still follow r/exmormon, but I don't spend most of my Redditing time there anymore.

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Thu May 17, 2018 9:45 am

Enoch Witty wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:39 am
  • Computer programming/web design -- looking for coding buddies/mentors/mentees if anyone's into it ;)
  • Live music (wife and I are going to every show we can this year -- so much fun!)
  • PS4 (just got platinums on Nioh and Horizon: Zero Dawn; long-time hardcore Dark Souls fan)
  • Mobile games (Clash of Clans and Clash Royale mostly for the last 18 months or so)
  • Board/card games -- before my autistic toddler made it impossible to sit down and play. I still like the idea of these, though. :D
  • Podcasts -- comedy/political/educational/computer programming/gaming/and exactly zero Mormon-related ones are on my subscription list at this point.
  • TV -- wife and I like to binge watch various comedies and dramas. Currently watching Veep. Favorite of all time is Parks and Rec.
  • Music -- got Spotify last year, loving discovering all the new bands. Used to love singer-songwriter stuff and classic rock mostly, but I'm really into indie pop these days.
  • Reddit -- I spend more time browsing than I should. I still follow r/exmormon, but I don't spend most of my Redditing time there anymore.
I share many of these. Grew up on video games but have largely stopped playing, primarily due to school. Also, kids got better than me and took the fun out of playing.

As for the programming/web design thing - it's something I'm trying to get back into. I have an associates in CS and work in IT full time. I love writing code, I used to be fairly decent at it (at the junior college level anyway) and just haven't had time to keep up with it over the years. Graduating with an MBA this weekend, so I'm hoping to spend more time on coding now that school is done for a while.

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Thu May 17, 2018 10:04 am

IT_Veteran wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:45 am
Enoch Witty wrote:
As for the programming/web design thing - it's something I'm trying to get back into. I have an associates in CS and work in IT full time. I love writing code, I used to be fairly decent at it (at the junior college level anyway) and just haven't had time to keep up with it over the years. Graduating with an MBA this weekend, so I'm hoping to spend more time on coding now that school is done for a while.
Congrats on the MBA! Let me know if you ever want to talk code. After learning the basics in C++, I've written a few Python scripts to help me with my job and am currently using Django to build a website dedicated to the local music scene. Just in the last 30 days alone I've gone from being fairly mystified by web design to feeling like I'm really getting a handle on it and like being a full-stack developer is within my reach.

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Thu May 17, 2018 10:09 am

Enoch Witty wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:04 am
Congrats on the MBA! Let me know if you ever want to talk code. After learning the basics in C++, I've written a few Python scripts to help me with my job and am currently using Django to build a website dedicated to the local music scene. Just in the last 30 days alone I've gone from being fairly mystified by web design to feeling like I'm really getting a handle on it and like being a full-stack developer is within my reach.
Thanks! Almost all of my coursework was in C++, I've taken several classes on Java and started going through a Udemy course on Java 9, it just keeps getting pushed to the back burner when I run out of time.

I've done a little bit of web development. I can read it, but I am just not design-minded when it comes to that stuff. I can take a template and tweak it, generally, but haven't learned any JS, Python, or even PHP yet.

I have a database project coming up for some side work. The proof of concept will just use MS Access to read/write from a SQL backend, but I'd really like to get an actual web interface built for it to make it more scalable once the PoC is figured out.

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Thu May 17, 2018 10:52 am

IT_Veteran wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:09 am
Thanks! Almost all of my coursework was in C++, I've taken several classes on Java and started going through a Udemy course on Java 9, it just keeps getting pushed to the back burner when I run out of time.

I've done a little bit of web development. I can read it, but I am just not design-minded when it comes to that stuff. I can take a template and tweak it, generally, but haven't learned any JS, Python, or even PHP yet.

I have a database project coming up for some side work. The proof of concept will just use MS Access to read/write from a SQL backend, but I'd really like to get an actual web interface built for it to make it more scalable once the PoC is figured out.
I transitioned to Python from C++ really easily just by going through the free Codecademy tutorial. It's definitely worth a shot. I enjoyed C++, but I absolutely love Python. It's got a great community and tons of open-source packages. It lets you focus more on the logic rather than getting hung up on syntax, at least most of the time. And once you have a decent handle on Python, Django is a great framework to learn web design with.

I found the Net Ninja's Django tutorial to be miles above any other video tutorial, book, or course I've worked through so far. Looks like he also has some straight-up Python tutorials, and while I can't vouch for those particular courses, I'm never disappointed with his content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW5Yeu ... /playlists

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Thu May 17, 2018 1:57 pm

IT_Veteran wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:09 am
I've taken several classes on Java and started going through a Udemy course on Java 9
If you have some Java, you owe it to yourself to take a peek at Kotlin, its Java's successor and what Java should have been.

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Thu May 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Thanks for the ideas, both of you. Just talking about it gets me more excited about coding again. I’d love to make the transition from IT management to writing code, but it’s hard to go from a senior position to a junior one and make it work financially, especially when the student loans are about to come due.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu May 17, 2018 10:13 pm

Enoch Witty wrote:
long-time hardcore Dark Souls fan

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Thu May 17, 2018 11:21 pm

Enoch Witty wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:26 pm
LSOF wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:58 pm
Computer programming.
What do you write in? I've moved to mostly Python, just recently learning web design using the Django framework. Super fun stuff. Something has clicked with CSS recently. JavaScripts...not so much. :lol:
I started with Ruby, Perl, and Java, but I do mostly C, C++, and x86 assembly these days.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Fri May 18, 2018 8:16 am

LSOF wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:21 pm
Enoch Witty wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:26 pm
LSOF wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:58 pm
Computer programming.
What do you write in? I've moved to mostly Python, just recently learning web design using the Django framework. Super fun stuff. Something has clicked with CSS recently. JavaScripts...not so much. :lol:
I started with Ruby, Perl, and Java, but I do mostly C, C++, and x86 assembly these days.
Sounds like you like to be in control! Ruby interested me most of those I admit, although I enjoyed learning the basics of programming in C++.