Skipped church and went to a Buddhist service instead this morning :)

Discussions about holding onto your faith and beliefs, whether by staying LDS or by exploring and participating in other churches or faiths. The belief in any higher power (including God, Christ, Buddha, or Jedi) is true in this forum. Be kind to others.
wanderer

Skipped church and went to a Buddhist service instead this morning :)

Post by wanderer » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:18 pm

I skipped church completely and on purpose for the first time today, and went to a Buddhist fellowship service instead. It was beautiful and uplifting, and far more interesting and meaningful to me than LDS church. It included meditation, singing together, a time when people could share about their practice and about what is happening in their lives, whether good or bad, and a talk about earth day and consumerism and how we could better care for our planet. Afterwards, one of the women there talked with me and welcomed me so warmly. It was just such a lovely experience and I hope I can go again soon. At this point, I am not ready to tell my family or others in my life about this, and so I wanted to tell you all on here :) Hope you are all having a beautiful earth day too.
“Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.”

― Rumi

Bremguy

Re: Skipped church and went to a Buddhist service instead this morning :)

Post by Bremguy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:42 pm

It sounds like you had a very wonderful and spiritual experience. Something that is often lacking at our SM. Most of the talks given, are just rehashed general conference talks, which are quite often rehashed general conference talks of old.

What I would like to hear is how to be a better person, how to do things to increase spiritually, how to increase your love for others. The list goes on. Over the past 3 years or so, I can only recall maybe 4 or 5 excellent, well thought out talks, well presented, that actually kept you awake.

Can I ask, how long did the service last ?
Live Long and Prosper

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 pm

Bremguy wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:42 pm
It lasted about an hour and a half. It was the Salt Lake Buddhist Fellowship, by the way, in case you are interested in coming :)
“Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.”

― Rumi

Bremguy

Post by Bremguy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:38 pm

wanderer wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 pm
Bremguy wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:42 pm
It lasted about an hour and a half. It was the Salt Lake Buddhist Fellowship, by the way, in case you are interested in coming :)
I would love to , but unfortunately, there are many many miles between here and there. I live in the Seattle area.
Live Long and Prosper

Margarita

Post by Margarita » Sun May 13, 2018 12:53 pm

Wow...just to have discussions like that. Amazing. Do you think you will go back? Are you tied to the church in some way that you need to be there in your ward? If if find a place like you visited today..it is everything. I am a spiritual person..and yet so long for communication that is sharing ..giving..and purposeful. I envy you. Don't suppose there is somewhere in Cache Valley..(Logan, Utah) that has a community like this? I am definitely going to check it out!!

Cadahangel

Post by Cadahangel » Thu May 17, 2018 7:18 am

Margarita wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 12:53 pm
Wow...just to have discussions like that. Amazing. Do you think you will go back? Are you tied to the church in some way that you need to be there in your ward? If if find a place like you visited today..it is everything. I am a spiritual person..and yet so long for communication that is sharing ..giving..and purposeful. I envy you. Don't suppose there is somewhere in Cache Valley..(Logan, Utah) that has a community like this? I am definitely going to check it out!!
http://cache-valley-sangha.webflow.io/

Margarita

Post by Margarita » Sat May 19, 2018 12:08 pm

Thank you for the link!! :D

Cadahangel

Post by Cadahangel » Mon May 21, 2018 12:31 pm

Margarita wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:08 pm
Thank you for the link!! :D
Anytime Enjoy your Journey

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:03 pm

Margarita wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 12:53 pm
I have gone back several times (almost every week) since I posted this and it has been wonderful :) It meets in the morning and my ward meets in the afternoon so I've been able to go to both. I am tied to the church due to social and family pressure and expectations basically (which is exacerbated by the fact that I live with my family) and because of school (BYU) and even a bit because of work (as I am employed by TBMs)... so yeah... Hopefully it won't be too long before I will be able to work it out so that I won't be so dependent and pressured... But yeah, the Buddhist fellowship has been so good and such a comfort. It really nourishes me <3

― Rumi

Margarita

Post by Margarita » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:34 am

Thank you so much for your reply and info. You sound peaceful inside yourself. Like you know who you are. I love that.

jb_10mm

Post by jb_10mm » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:13 pm

I've been going to a UT county meditation meetup, and I joined the Salt Lake buddhist fb page, but I haven't made it out yet. I actually tried to go to one that was on Saturdays in UT county, but I went and I guess they disbanded.

I'm super interested in this. Can you give a quick rundown of what the meetings are like? Do they start with group meditation?

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:15 pm

jb_10mm wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:13 pm
I'm super interested in this. Can you give a quick rundown of what the meetings are like? Do they start with group meditation?
Sure thing! So the meeting starts with a time of quiet, some meditating and some talking quietly, while everyone arrives. Then, we have a time while whoever wants to may share something that is going on in their life or is part of their mindfulness/mediation/awareness practice, and we all practice deeply listening to them and then softly bow to them when they have finished. This goes on for a time, then finishes with the Sensei shares some of his own thoughts or experiences. Then we read through some Buddhist prayers/mantras/etc all together, which includes the lighting of a candle and beginning to burn a little incense, then we sing/chant "om namo amitabhaya" which then leads into 15 minutes or so of silent mediation as it ends. The Sensei signals the end of the mediation with a singing bowl, and then begins the Dharma discussion, which could be about a wide variety of topics - earth day, buddhist prayer or ritual, gratitude, etc. When the Dharma talk is complete, there are then some short announcements and such and then the service is over for the day, and so we all put away our chairs or mats and floor cushions and most people stay and talk for a little while before heading home.

― Rumi