Great "redeeming our dead" project for y'all

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Great "redeeming our dead" project for y'all

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:12 am

It occurred to me that we may have overlooked some very important people who are waiting on the other side of the veil for their saving ordinances. We have done the temple work for the Founding Fathers, both Adolf Hitler and his Holocaust victims, and many other historical figures (Frank Zappa!), but what about the family that is directly responsible for bringing us one of our canonized books of scripture?

I am speaking, of course, of the family of Hor (aka Horos), the priest of Min Who Massacres His Enemies, whose mummy was the vehicle for delivering the Book of Abraham papyrus. We actually have better genealogical data for Hor than we do for many people who's work has been done. Here's a family tree to get you started. Eight generations. Not bad.
Attachments
HorFamilyTree.jpg
HorFamilyTree.jpg (67.24 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Re: Great "redeeming our dead" project for y'all

Post by moksha » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:24 am

Most likely Chapochonsis and Tapois were sealed in the Logan Temple on July 23, 1949.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:56 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:12 am
the priest of Min Who Massacres His Enemies,
He sounds like a great guy to be sealed to for time and all eternity. I bet Mrs. Min is just longing to have their temple work done.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:36 am

MoPag wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:56 am
Hagoth wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:12 am
the priest of Min Who Massacres His Enemies,
He sounds like a great guy to be sealed to for time and all eternity. I bet Mrs. Min is just longing to have their temple work done.
It's amazing how much we know about these people. Hor's mother Chibois was a temple musician. Probably not that lady who sits at the organ in the temple chapel and plays hymns at a painfully slow tempo while you're waiting for the endowment. Their temple was probably a little bit more lively.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:26 am

This just spurred my memory.

In 1984 I kept having these really weird dreams where I would be running through the catacombs under a large pyramid in Egypt as if I was lost in a maze. Every time I thought I was nearing the exit, I would turn the corner and run into a extraordinarily grand looking mummy with a mallet standing by a curtain. He would knock three times and in the crustiest of voices ask me "what is wanted?" Every time I would yell "I want out of this fncking place!! Where's the exit?" He would calmly lean in towards my ear just close enough to smell his bad breath and whisper "Get out! Get out! You're not worthy to be here!" Always at that moment of the dream I would wake up in a cold sweat and a mild state of confusion.

Then in 1985 when I became a Deacon and did baptisms for the dead for the first time I would hear the same crusty voice in my head screaming "Get out! Get out! You're not worthy to be here!" Scared, wet, and mildly confused I let my bishop know that the grand mummy was talking to me. He got overly excited at this news and said that it was normal for some people to have a spiritual witness in the temple from those who have passed on before us and that I should be proud that my grandmother would be heard from the other side of the veil!

I kept having these reoccurring dreams until 1994 when upon returning from my mission I went to the temple. I received the name card but in my haste didn't look at it until I was in the booth with the ordinance worker! As he repeated the words of the ordinance I looked down, mildly confused as I read the name Hor. Again the voice came to my mind. "Get out, get out, andale! Andale! you're not worthy to be here!" I ignored it and went through with the endowment for Hor Hay Jesus Dela Cruz Olivifant Sorez from Modesto California. I did his work for him in the Portland Oregon temple that day in October 1994.

Looking back I realized I forgot to take the white polyester sapatos off my feet then put them back on; so it looks like it didn't stick.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:40 pm

Wow, RR, I had a similar recurring dream, but I was running through a Masonic hall.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:35 pm

While we're at it, let's do the Greek pantheon:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_ ... Greek_gods

I want to be baptized for and in behalf of Chaos. If that's too unrealistic for y'all, we could do the Potterverse:

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Family_trees

Being baptized for Sirius Black would make going on a youth baptism trip worth it.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:11 am

I wonder how many pet names have been submitted for proxy temple work.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:42 pm

Reuben wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:35 pm
Being baptized for Sirius Black would make going on a youth baptism trip worth it.
Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks were sealed in the Preston England Temple in October of 2011. Perhaps they will do the work for Sirius Black.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha