Stake President

Discussions about holding onto your faith and beliefs, whether by staying LDS or by exploring and participating in other churches or faiths. The belief in any higher power (including God, Christ, Buddha, or Jedi) is true in this forum. Be kind to others.
Thoughtful

Stake President

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:33 pm

With regard to my daughter, Spouseman and I talked to the SP tonight. He hasn't had any details at all, so we filled him in the recent trauma, police, etc.

After a long talk, he bore his testimony that we need this to take us closer to Jesus, not farther away. That we need to make sure we don't get angry with God...

Spouseman talked diplomatically about his career in psychology and academia has taught him that change and healing take time. Bore his testimony of Jesus (only of Jesus).

I said there was a time in my life a long time ago I was angry at God, and I told God so, and God gave back love, which dissolved the anger. Anger at God has never come back. And what I learned was God can handle my anger better than I can. There's nothing else I can dish out that God needs to be protected from.

I don't think my answer was what he wanted, but it definitely steered the convo away from testimonies...

græy

Re: Stake President

Post by græy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:58 am

I am sorry to hear about everything your daughter and your family are going through. It sounds like you handled the SP meeting well.

Many leaders can't seem to come up with anything to help other than the "Primary" answers. Our bishop is very big on those. When trouble strikes, read BoM, pray, and stay close to Jesus. (And keep paying tithing!) It often feels so trivial compared to what is actually happening. :roll:
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:30 pm

græy wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:58 am
I am sorry to hear about everything your daughter and your family are going through. It sounds like you handled the SP meeting well.

Many leaders can't seem to come up with anything to help other than the "Primary" answers. Our bishop is very big on those. When trouble strikes, read BoM, pray, and stay close to Jesus. (And keep paying tithing!) It often feels so trivial compared to what is actually happening. :roll:
You know, I just want the primary answers from the perpetrators in our stake, including my FIL and MIL

ABCs of repentance:
Admit what you did.
Be sorry
Change and correct the outcomes of what you did
Dont do it again.

After we talked to the stake, the SP indicated a disciplinary council will be held for BIL. Not sure if anything for my other ILs and their part in covering it up and enabling him.

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:58 pm

Sorry your SP doesn't know how to be supportive, but it sounds like you handled it as well as anyone could. I'm glad that he's proceeding with church discipline to help protect other children, but I hope they are also supportive of your efforts in pursuing law enforcement action.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:31 pm

IT_Veteran wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:58 pm
Sorry your SP doesn't know how to be supportive, but it sounds like you handled it as well as anyone could. I'm glad that he's proceeding with church discipline to help protect other children, but I hope they are also supportive of your efforts in pursuing law enforcement action.
I think that despite his testimony focus, he wants to help. I think he's aware that the current impression is that some have protected the wrong person...so hopefully he will follow through.