NOM or hypocrite?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
sparky

NOM or hypocrite?

Post by sparky » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:15 pm

This morning I had a homemade mocha as I was finishing my Sunday school lesson, then went to church and gave my lesson. The lesson got a typical positive response, despite the fact that I focused on the humanist elements and avoided any kind of supernatural discussion of God or Jesus (I consider myself a philosophical naturalist and an atheist). Then I skipped third hour to come home and make a delicious lunch for myself. All without an ounce of guilt.

Does this make me simply a NOM, or a reprehensible hypocrite?

Hagoth

Re: NOM or hypocrite?

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:53 pm

You would be a hypocrite if you told your class not to go home and not to drink coffee.

Otherwise, it sounds like free-agency doing its thing. You have graduated to the level that you realize you can make your own choices about how much to give to a volunteer organization that is trying to own you.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:06 pm

Sounds like it was a good talk.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:10 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:53 pm
You would be a hypocrite if you told your class not to go home and not to drink coffee.
This.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:51 pm

You're good. Who's keeping track anyway?
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:56 am

Archimedes wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:51 pm
Santa.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:38 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:56 am
Archimedes wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:51 pm
Santa.
This is more than just a humorous response. You should seriously consider that judgement of that person who is putting out Christmas presents late at night on Christmas Eve. Does that person approve of the principles you are striving to uphold? Does the person that purchased Christmas gifts appreciate how you are trying to improve the lives of your ward members with a lesson about the humanity in us all? Your actions promote families staying together in love and harmony in spite of the poorly constructed rhetoric on apostasy coming from a multi-billion dollar institutional church.

Surely someone who knows how to give good gifts would see your doctrinal charity towards fellow humans. The parochial implementation of the Word of Wisdom tears apart too many families. It seems both wise and prudent to focus on the weightier matters of becoming a better person through introspection, kindness, and love. I am entirely in favor of seeking the approval of that giver of good gifts.

achilles

Post by achilles » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:58 am

NOM.

A hypocrite would judge everyone else drinking the mocha and chillaxing at home, all the while hiding his own behavior.

But since there is nothing to judge anybody else about, NOMs all around!
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:08 am

It makes you Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, or some other NORMAL religion!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:13 am

Yeah what Red Ryder said !!!!

mylittlefactory

Post by mylittlefactory » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:15 pm

Is it wrong to put the finishing touches on your sunday school lesson with a Venti Americano in one hand?

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:44 pm

mylittlefactory wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:15 pm
Is it wrong to put the finishing touches on your sunday school lesson with a Venti Americano in one hand?
Yes. It should be a cappuccino. Unsweetened.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

sparky

Post by sparky » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:12 am

mylittlefactory wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:15 pm
I've been doing this for over a year and they haven't kicked me out yet. It's almost as if, despite the rhetoric of "worthiness" and keeping all the commandments just right, they don't really know or care what your testimony is like as long as you don't rock the boat too much.

My next lesson is going to be a real challenge: it covers Elijah controlling the weather, getting oil from a magical cruse, raising a kid from the dead, and calling down fire from heaven. :roll: Not really sure yet how I can spin that straw into secular humanist gold...

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:51 pm

Along similar lines, am I being a hypocrite when I attend a Presbyterian church, despite often entertaining deist, and even agnostic thoughts? sometimes I feel a pang of guilt.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.