Kids Internet Filtering

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Just This Guy

Kids Internet Filtering

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:04 pm

DS (10yo) got a computer for his birthday. I got it setup, but one question is what options do I have for monitoring, access control and internet filerting for him?

Anyone have any recommendations? I currently have the block at the router, for this computer, but that won't work for a long term solution.

Computer is a refurb Dell, running Win10.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Raylan Givens

Re: Kids Internet Filtering

Post by Raylan Givens » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:35 pm

Circle by Disney, and K12 Blue Collar (I think, Utah company with free decent internet filtering)
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:25 pm

Also, point your DNS servers at OpenDNS. It won't work forever, once the kiddo figures out how to point DNS at someone else's server (Google, for example), but it provides a basic level of adult content filtering.

We use the Google Wifi hotspots so I get coverage through the entire house (it runs in a mesh), but also run SafeSearch on all the kids devices. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

One thing we've done is prohibited computers in the bedrooms. They are in public, high-traffic areas only, which has also helped.

achilles

Post by achilles » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:36 pm

Have you had the important conversations with your 10yo? Personal safety online, sex, etc.? What do you want him to know and do with this access? Do you have these conversations as a family?
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:25 am

The Qustodio app is great. You can control screen time and monitor all the sites they visit from your phone. You can also shut their computer off from the app too. :twisted:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:28 am

MoPag wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:25 am
The Qustodio app is great. You can control screen time and monitor all the sites they visit from your phone. You can also shut their computer off from the app too. :twisted:
Can the PS4 be hooked up to it?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:26 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:28 am
MoPag wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:25 am
Can the PS4 be hooked up to it?
I wish!!! :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:42 pm

My kids play Fortnite 27 hours/day or so it seems. Do these internet filters also help control ps4 play time?
~2bizE

Evil_Bert

Post by Evil_Bert » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:02 pm

2bizE wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:42 pm
My kids play Fortnite 27 hours/day or so it seems. Do these internet filters also help control ps4 play time?
Parental controls on PS4 can limit time. I use it with my 11 year old. He only gets 90 minutes a day and it keeps track if he logs off and starts again.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:58 am

Evil_Bert wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:02 pm
2bizE wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:42 pm
Parental controls on PS4 can limit time. I use it with my 11 year old. He only gets 90 minutes a day and it keeps track if he logs off and starts again.
Good to know with school starting up again soon.

Parent of a Fortnite junkie too!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:48 pm

Your isp usually offers a filter option but that will apply to everyone.

The router really is your best option. Asus has some pretty good filtering options in their more advanced routers.

But it's a lost cause if he has any computer smarts or a smart friend.

There are tons of free vpns he can install and set up that will bypass the router level and the isp. It's trivial to create and use a USB flash drive to boot Linux and bypass any software on the windows boot.

You may be able to lock out the boot options in your BIOS/EUFI but maybe not on a consumer grade mass produced box.

Best to monitor your logs and have discussions as content comes up.

Imho your bigger risk is spyware ransomware on your home network. Can you put the kid on his own segment to protect the rest of your computers?

The more expensive routers support multiple simultaneous WiFi networks that don't have to have access to the printer or other boxes on the other networks. Good protection.