Having an 8yo baptism, or not.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Thoughtful

Having an 8yo baptism, or not.

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:22 pm

I don't have a problem with baptism to follow Jesus or what he symbolizes.

I have a problem with 8yo somehow consenting to be harassed for the rest of her life by misogynists. And being convinced you made "covenants" you don't consent to during the ordinance and aren't developmentally capable of understating.

Thoughts on home baptism? Like home school, -we opt out of the system and do our own in nature someplace?
Last edited by Thoughtful on Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Re: Having an 8yo baptism, or not.

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:06 am

I think your analysis is spot on. I like the idea of privatizing the ordinance although the bishop would need to give the keys out to make it official if you care about that part.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:57 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:06 am
I think your analysis is spot on. I like the idea of privatizing the ordinance although the bishop would need to give the keys out to make it official if you care about that part.
My thought is to just let Jesus make it official. Don't want church records in the way of her life, unless she wants that as an adult she could choose to. But she could be like her friends and we could take pictures, etc.

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:06 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:57 am
My thought is to just let Jesus make it official. Don't want church records in the way of her life, unless she wants that as an adult she could choose to. But she could be like her friends and we could take pictures, etc.
This sounds perfect. Your kids can choose to officially join any church they would like to, or not, at age 18. In the meantime, like you said, they can just be a follower of Jesus. Awesome. If your husband is on board, you are SO lucky.

No matter what you do, do not give in to stupid Mormon leadership pressure!!

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:18 am

The 8 year old age and development argument doesn't really bother me in the traditional exmo sense. I get it. I do. It just doesn't bother me because baptism in the "no thinking required" Mormon church is a singular religious event designed like a gate. If you select yes and open the gate, you're in. You become a follower of Jesus. No thinking required therefore an 8 year old can make the right decision.

I like your idea of doing something at home or in nature. Skip the Mormon stuff and find your own path. You and your family are already off the traditional path in case you didn't realize that! :lol:
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:34 am

We baptized my daughter at home in the creek in our back yard. Myself and my inactive, atheist stepfather gave her the gift of the holy ghost. She was happy about it and that is all that matters.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:59 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:18 am
The 8 year old age and development argument doesn't really bother me in the traditional exmo sense. I get it. I do. It just doesn't bother me because baptism in the "no thinking required" Mormon church is a singular religious event designed like a gate. If you select yes and open the gate, you're in. You become a follower of Jesus. No thinking required therefore an 8 year old can make the right decision.

I like your idea of doing something at home or in nature. Skip the Mormon stuff and find your own path. You and your family are already off the traditional path in case you didn't realize that! :lol:
One issue I had with baptism was that when I was consenting to the temple ordinances before being told what they were I used my baptism as a crutch to lean on when my alarm bells were going off. I thought "Well, I'm already in cause I was baptized, so I guess it doesn't matter that I am committing my life further here."

I think that is a problem.

Having a party and a coming of age event is great.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Random

Post by Random » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:16 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:22 pm
Thoughts on home baptism?
I know this is an old post and what I'm going to say probably won't matter one way or the other - but -

I see nothing wrong with a home baptism. The LDS church may not accept it, but it will be a baptism. And it can be made special, with a party and/or a picnic.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:08 am

Random wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:16 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:22 pm
Thoughts on home baptism?
I know this is an old post and what I'm going to say probably won't matter one way or the other - but -

I see nothing wrong with a home baptism. The LDS church may not accept it, but it will be a baptism. And it can be made special, with a party and/or a picnic.
Child turns 8 in a few months, so not too late!

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:38 pm

I'm glad it isn't too late. I hope for the best with whatever you decide.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

achilles

Post by achilles » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:58 pm

Just tell the bishop you're having a same-sex marriage on Saturday. That will end the child baptism harassment...
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:26 pm

For sure.

PK

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:01 pm

achilles wrote:Just tell the bishop you're having a same-sex marriage on Saturday. That will end the child baptism harassment...
My friend brought up a point, he is in a mixed faith marriage and having to figure out baptisms.

He compared having a baptism at 8 in a mixed faith marriage, in the same light as the baptism ban on families that have same sex parents.

The Church contended this was a loving way to not introduce contention, or create a situation where families are pitted against each other. Hmmm...seems similar to me.

Best wishes to you on however the baptism takes place. I hope it is special and has meaning to both of you.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:00 pm

achilles wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:58 pm
Just tell the bishop you're having a same-sex marriage on Saturday. That will end the child baptism harassment...
I've had something along these lines "cross my mind" at times. How about getting up on Open Mic Sunday and lying my @$$ off by baring a really gay testimony about how when I was younger I wanted to be absolutely sure I wasn't gay, so I spent a few months living together in a same-sex relationship. Ending the testimony by looking at the bishop and saying: "Now leave my kids alone."

Too far achilles?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:09 pm

Today they invited her to activity days...