Missionary name badges

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Missionary name badges

Post by 2bizE » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:54 am

Is it just me or do others get annoyed with elderly adults wearing their missionary name tags around everywhere? I was at the Swiss Days festival yesterday and saw a few older couples in street clothes but with their name tags walking around like they were super special.
Thought, I would like to make my own name tag to look almost identical and wear it all over just to feel special.

Elder 2bizE
The Church of
Ziontology
of Latter-day Saints
~2bizE

Unendowed

Re: Missionary name badges

Post by Unendowed » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:56 am

I've noticed this as well. I think they are told to wear their name badges at all times when you are a missionary. Kind of like how garments make endowed members extra special, the name badge makes missionaries super extra special. When I was a missionary we were told to wear the badge if we went in public even on p-day in our "civilian" clothes. I guess the idea is to always be marketing the church. For everywhere outside of Utah the badge may as well say, "WEIRDO ALERT - STAY AWAY."

Evil_Bert

Post by Evil_Bert » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:09 am

I think that the missionary tags are hilarious and very pompous when worn by the old couple who work at the cannery. It is nothing more than a name tag for work. Take it off when you aren't working.

The whole printing though is also stupid. They need to be read just the way they are printed.

(Quietly) The Church of (yelling) JESUS CHRIST ( back to quietly) of Latter day Saints.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Linked

Post by Linked » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:18 pm

I get mad when I see the name badges all over my neighborhood in Salt Lake County. From the elders to the sisters to the full-time stake missionaries. I see them every day. It feels like a dystopia with big brother watching everywhere.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:36 pm

We should make our own name tags and start wearing them everywhere. Something to tick them off and make them super less special.
~2bizE

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:39 am

2bizE wrote:Elder 2bizE
The Church of
Ziontology
of Latter-day Saints
Can I get one for "Elder Beeblebrox"?

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Random

Post by Random » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:26 pm

Nameplates
https://nametagcountry.com/Category/Nam ... c-Military
I looked up name tags and most of them seemed to be for desks - or didn't look like missionary name tags, but here you go, anyway.

Pinbacks for tags.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:24 am

Anyone remember the old days of Stake Missionaries? They would wear their badges to all meetings, I even had a neighbor who wore his all over town as well.
I remember walking in on a Stake Missionary meeting as a kid, and looking around at the weirdness of the badges and the meeting. Slowly backing out and quietly shutting the door.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:00 am

I was recently at Home Depot and this middle aged woman was wearing a missionary badge with her painting overalls.

It was strange.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:59 pm

Annoying? Yes. Absolutely.

You hit it on the head though in that it is just a way for them to feel super special because they have a nametag.

It is also a way for the folks doing those missions to virtue signal to everyone else that they are super righteous because in their retirement they are upholding their covenant to give all of their time, talents, and everything that the Lord has blessed them with to the Mormon church. It also probably makes them feel more secure as they finish out their lives that they are on the fast track to celestial glory.

Every time I see the nametag I feel sad because I know they are doing work for free for a multi-billion dollar corporation.

At the end of their mission, there should be a shirt that says "I gave the last [2 years] of my life to the Mormon church, and all I got was this lousy nametag."
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:54 am

2bizE wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:54 am
I was at the Swiss Days festival yesterday and saw a few older couples in street clothes but with their name tags walking around like they were super special.
Maybe they're hoping to get free stuff.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:10 am

The mission president is pretty much your conduit to God and Righteousness when you are on a full time mission. Whatever rules they might have put in place for name tags are commandments. Plus, it's a status symbol in the LDS world. On my mission we were allowed to attend the Calgary Stampede as long as we wore our name badge along with the full missionary suit and tie. I assure you that no actual proselyting occurred.

achilles

Post by achilles » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:32 pm

When I was a missionary in Japan I kind of liked wearing the name tag--it just felt cool. Although being a 20 year old white boy/American riding a bike in a suit was probably a dead giveaway, even without the name tag.

On the getting free stuff thing: I haven't been to Church in years and don't plan to go back. But when I see the boys with name tags I'm always filled with compassion. I remember being a missionary and how hard it was. If not just to honor my mother's memory, I always buy their groceries or pay for their dinner. I feel like it's good karma.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:09 pm

I've seen a few older couples that have specific stake callings wear name badges to church on Sunday but I see far more RMs that have their mission name badges attached to their scriptures or something... and they've been home for over a decade.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:43 am

2bizE wrote:
I was at the Swiss Days festival yesterday and saw a few older couples in street clothes but with their name tags...
Probably doing what they were told. Could you imagine an older couple trying to enjoy themselves on their day off and wearing a signboard that said, "Beware of Pushy Insurance Salesperson"? Whoever told them to do this was overzealous.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:22 pm

Maybe I dodged a bullet, but we were not allowed to where name tags in Chile in the mid 1970's. It had something to do with the preceding regime (Allende) and uniforms his followers wore. Seemed they had a similar name tag, and with the new Military Dictatorship of Pinochet, after having killed Allende, it seems prudent to not where them. So I never did for two years!

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:25 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:43 am
2bizE wrote:
I was at the Swiss Days festival yesterday and saw a few older couples in street clothes but with their name tags...
Probably doing what they were told.
This. We could only not wear name tags when we had permission (P days). It's rather like a prison, really.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK