Elder Cook to Take on Church History Questions!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Anon70

Re: Elder Cook to Take on Church History Questions!

Post by Anon70 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:44 pm

GoodBoy wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:12 pm
My questions that I can't add because I resigned, but would still love to see answered:
"Why were the golden plates necessary if they weren't use in the translation of the majority of the Book of Mormon?"

"Did Joseph Smith make a mistake when he practiced polyandry in his efforts to keep God's commandment to implement polygamy?"

"Are there plans to modify the prophet Joseph Smith's captions and explanations of the facsimiles in the Book of Abraham?"

Oh, how I wish the brethren had the courage... no the faith, to publicly answer unscripted questions. If they are scared, I recommend that they try putting on the whole armor of God.
I logged in to ask your golden plates question and got a notice that questions are restricted to members between 17 & 31.

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:49 am

I'm actually looking forward to seeing the non-answers during this event, even though I would have loved to see Cook try to answer some of the questions you have posted here. It will just confirm to me that there ARE no answers to the non-questions that will be asked and fielded, and I can just move on with my life - content in knowing that for me, I have the answers I need.

Like GC, I look forward to watching/listening to these things, now with a critical eye, more than I ever did as a TBM. Now I can pick apart the flawed thinking, the gaslighting, and all the other fun things I missed.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:59 am

Why did Joseph Fielding Smith hide from the members of the church the 1832 version of the first vision in his office safe for 30 plus years?
~2bizE

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:28 am

Anon70 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:44 pm

I logged in to ask your golden plates question and got a notice that questions are restricted to members between 17 & 31.
Right. Well since it's okay to impose restrictions....

My new policy is that I will accept no explanations unless they come directly from the current prophet and each answer must be preceded by the phrase "Thus saith the Lord."

Anything anyone else says is just trash....
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:06 am

I'm gunna go back and read through this thread...but I did read the first post that kicked it off. Is this even for real?

I choked on my coffee!

There is NO WAY IN HELL the church can address those questions. This is a PR stunt...and I am VERY curious how they will spin it.

There are no answers to some of these questions. One of them was about marrying other men's wives. What is the real answer: "Joseph had narcisistic personality disorder and excessive sexual appetite. He wasn't satisfied with Emma, so he decided to concoct a revelational pattern, use his authority and exercise predatory instincts to bed any women he desired while, couching it in the idea of marriage."

I personally believe that is the honest answer--and we all know Cook can't touch that.

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:35 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:52 pm
You have to sign into your LDS account to ask questions - how is it some of them are from “Anonymous Users”? Is there an “anonymous” option once you sign in?
You can register for an account as a "friend." Not sure if you'll be able to ask a question on that page w/o a membership # tied to the account.
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:38 am

I logged in to post a question and was denied.

"Comments are restricted to those 18-31 years old."

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:08 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:49 am
I'm actually looking forward to seeing the non-answers during this event, even though I would have loved to see Cook try to answer some of the questions you have posted here. It will just confirm to me that there ARE no answers to the non-questions that will be asked and fielded, and I can just move on with my life - content in knowing that for me, I have the answers I need.

Like GC, I look forward to watching/listening to these things, now with a critical eye, more than I ever did as a TBM. Now I can pick apart the flawed thinking, the gaslighting, and all the other fun things I missed.
Exactly. There are no answers and the GA's can't admit that because it would take away all their claims to authority. It is reassuring in a way.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:03 pm

The only true way for the LDS Church to address this predicament is to follow the same course of action the Community of Christ took when faced with many of the same history questions. However, that lead to a lot of people leaving the Former RLDS. If the LDS Church were to pursue that course of action, there would be an endless stream of entrepreneurial Mormons stepping forth to proclaim themselves as "The One Mighty and Strong". We would constantly hear the ballad of Dueling Prophets on the evening news.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:49 pm

I can only imagine they will select slowpitch softball style questions to ask and answer so Mr. Cook can knock it out of the park.
~2bizE

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:35 am

My question:

Elder Cook, I would like to apologize in advance as my question actually has 3 parts:
1. When did the church start lying to its membership about its history and processes, was that at the beginning with Joseph or sometime later?
2. When is the church going to stop lying to its membership about its history and processes, are you prepared to commit to this today or will it be sometime in the future?
3. When the church stops lying to us will they hold the general authorities who did lie to us accountable?

-lost

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:29 am

moksha wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:17 pm
Softball questions and faith-promoting answers.

Perhaps Elder Cook could employ a Greek chorus to help provide answers: A designated representative from the Church PR department (AKA the Newsroom), one of the Kirton McConkie lawyers, and Dr. Daniel C. Peterson armed with a dowsing seer rod. Hopefully, Elder Cook and his stalwart chorus could answer all the softball questions posed by singing the answers to the tunes from Gilbert & Sullivan's HMS Pinafore. That would be worth listening to!

ELDER COOK. — When I was a lad I served my term
As office boy to an Attorney's firm.
I cleaned the windows and I swept the floor,
And I polished up the handle of the big front door.
I polished up the handle made of birch
And now I am an Apostle of the Mormon Church!

CHORUS. — He polished up the handle made of birch
And now he is an Apostle in the Mormon Church!

ELDER COOK. — Now members all, whoever you may be,
If you want to rise to the Kingdoms three,
If your soul isn't fettered by questioning stool,
Be careful what you ask by this golden rule —
Obey your leaders whatever they may say,
And you'll all be exalted on the appointed day!

CHORUS. — Obey your leaders whatever they may say,
And you'll all be exalted on the appointed day!
:lol: :lol: :lol: This is brilliant!!!!

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:12 pm
Has anyone asked the church history question about Quentin's involvement in California Healthcare Systems theft of public property yet?
TheTrialofQuentinCook.png
TheTrialofQuentinCook.png (176.53 KiB) Viewed 8526 times
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

BriansThoughtMirror

Post by BriansThoughtMirror » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:03 pm

I'm impressed again. They have actually got comments showing on the page that ask legit, hard questions. I wonder what they will present? I don't think I'll be interested enough to watch, though...
Reflections From Brian's Brain
https://briansthoughtmirror.wordpress.com/

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:14 pm

Another good question to ask is why are all the church historians lawyers instead of historians?

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:45 am

Tonight's the night... I can only imagine how carefully they are pre-screening the questions right now...

I will be watching the Bears game, but I hope they have a transcript up shortly so I can see just how badly they gaslight the poor youth who are actually forced to watch this nonsense.

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:49 am

It's interesting that the timing of this "Q&A" coincides conveniently with the recent release of the new storybook about church history ("Saints").

My prediction is that he's going to talk a lot about that book and some obscure grey historical points that the church is happy to transparently disclose (virtue signaling?) in the book, and he'll maybe field a few (easy) questions that were submitted by folks online.
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

rockslider

Post by rockslider » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:39 pm

I can't wait for the rfm podcast that is sure to result from this

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:31 pm

As a historian, I felt dirty watching Grow and Holbrook defend the indefensible. I needed to take a bath after. I could only watch about 20 minutes, and it was the polygamy questions that pissed me off the most. Not essential to salvation? We don't know why JS did what he did? There was no instruction manual? Give me a break. Although I will say, at least they looked at some of the tough questions - it was the dancing around that got me.

Even Sis M. agreed - when they said critics and unbelievers exaggerate the problems, I noted, "but isn't the fact that the church only focuses on its own narrative just as problematical to the truth?" She actually agreed with me, which made my night and I could leave the room with no problems.

This is NOT going to stop the bleeding, methinks.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:46 pm

I made the questionable decision to watch this fireside and I have mixed reactions. Some answers were mildly good. After far too many words talking about sacrifice and devotion, the faithful reason for polygamy was eventually admitted to: Joseph and the saints believed they were faithfully following God's undocumented and poorly understood commandments.

Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that at least the baloney about "taking care of widows" after "so many men died from persecution" was left out. The devil is still profoundly hiding in the details, of course. The word "polyandry" was not spoken. Helen Mar Kimball's age was not mentioned. Emma's reaction was not described. Fanny Alger did not make an appearance. But the unfortunate understanding was maintained that God is more interested in the details of real estate ownership than the highest and most sacred ordinances of salvation.

I could go on, but I'd rather spend the evening goofing off so let's simply state that the answers were the most basic and general apologetics that we have already heard before. It felt like Elder Cook wanted to sharply reduce the discussions on these topics rather than go into greater detail. And the "greater detail" will allegedly show up in the the Saints book. This is certain to be a topic of far too much discussion when I would be better served by finishing that book on the French Revolution.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:47 pm

Elder Cook let the historians do a little heavy lifting. But there was a lot of "We don't have enough time to go into this subject in depth: So go read the essay, but let's not talk about 14 year olds in polygamy, or the First Account of the First Vision." Again, they are avoiding the specifics. Do they really think they are helping anybody that has real honest doubts? I can't see that they are. You tube showed about 5,300 people watching.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.