Traditional Bouncing of the Baby

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Kishkumen

Traditional Bouncing of the Baby

Post by Kishkumen » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:37 am

In recent news, my TBM SIL and BIL have a new baby. The blessing is scheduled for Nov 4. I'm not sure what to think about it as it will be the first time I wouldn't be permitted to stand in the circle for the bouncing of the baby blessing. I really don't care too much, but it's just odd to think about it and reflect. I really just want to walk up there when it's time and see how my TBM relatives react.

Also, the thought of enduring an SM just to support my relatives is already making me nauseous.

Red Ryder

Re: Traditional Bouncing of the Baby

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:53 am

What would happen if you just walked up and held the microphone?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:48 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:53 am
What would happen if you just walked up and held the microphone?
Or knelt down in the middle of the circle with a catcher's mitt?
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

rockslider

Post by rockslider » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:02 pm

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:37 am
Also, the thought of enduring an SM just to support my relatives is already making me nauseous.
I have a grandson baptism coming up next month. I'm debating no showing for this one.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:53 pm

Last couple of these I participated in I purposely tried to resist the bouncing, it get's a bit out of control in many circles!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:26 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:53 pm
Last couple of these I participated in I purposely tried to resist the bouncing, it get's a bit out of control in many circles!
I've done this ^ too.

In my recent history of emulating H.I.P.S. I "technically" haven't been "invited" to stand in any circles, so I just sit quietly while everyone else parades up for the magical incantations. It was a bit weird the first few times, but I've gotten accustomed to it.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:43 pm

Can you be fashionably late? Get stuck in traffic/lost/road construction and come in just after the blessing? That way you can say you tried, but the lord had other plans?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:37 pm

Well, if you are going to be an outcast- you could at least enjoy dressing the part? Especially with Halloween right around the corner and you need to give them something to talk about.

-rodeo clown?
-Hell's Angels Biker?
-throwback 70's Elton John (giant white fur coat with pink tinted star shaped glasses?)
-steampunk goth?
or my personal favorite: Jimmy Buffett/margaritaville don't forget the flip flops and lei!

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:58 am

Take some comfort in the fact that women are never allowed to do it no matter what. Lots of people get excluded.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:27 pm

We had a bishop who asked a bunch of elders to give a how-to-consecrated-oil demonstion in sacrament meeting. They stood in a circle and held the olive oil bottle in their right hands while each placed his left hand on the shoulder of the next guy. Then while one of them said the magic words, for whatever reason, they vigourously bounced the oil. Weird.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

shadow

Post by shadow » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:13 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:27 pm
We had a bishop who asked a bunch of elders to give a how-to-consecrated-oil demonstion in sacrament meeting. They stood in a circle and held the olive oil bottle in their right hands while each placed his left hand on the shoulder of the next guy. Then while one of them said the magic words, for whatever reason, they vigourously bounced the oil. Weird.
This makes me so happy to imagine. Hilarious.
"Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creates to the feast of Creation." --Wendell Berry

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:33 am

There’s so much in this post that I love. “Traditional bouncing of the baby”, costumes, bouncing of the oil, scaring your bishop by marching up....to hold the mic, and welcoming you to the outcast club of women....

This was the post that kept on giving :lol: