Ongoing Kirton and McConkie leaks

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Ongoing Kirton and McConkie leaks

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:35 am

MormonLeaks seems to have quite a few Kirton and McConkie leaks up their sleeve. The latest can be seen at: https://mormonleaks.io/wiki/documents/b ... Conkie.pdf

A few gems found here:
-Two boys who were abused while sharing a bed with missionaries. Settlement autorized up to $50,000 approved by PDR
Defendant having intercourse with fifteen-year old who was investigating the curch. Settlement of $400,000 approved by FP
-Claim of abuse by a scoutmaster that was consealed by the church the Church concealed its institutional Settlement of $100,000 approved by CLC
-12-year old drugged and raped in a meeting house by someone who plead guilty. Settlement of $50,000 approved by PDR.
-A man who claimed he was sexually abused by a scoutmaster who was convicted of abusing several other boys: Settlement of $50,000 approved by PDR
FP almost certainly stands for First Presidency. Any idea what CLC and PDR stand for?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

BriansThoughtMirror

Re: Ongoing Kirton and McConkie leaks

Post by BriansThoughtMirror » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:38 pm

Holy hell. Is this as bad as it sounds?
Reflections From Brian's Brain
https://briansthoughtmirror.wordpress.com/

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:52 pm

BriansThoughtMirror wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:38 pm
Holy hell. Is this as bad as it sounds?
I’m wondering what else MLs have up their sleeve in the weeks ahead of GC.

I read some TBM comments in DesNews (I think) after the last leak from KM that there was “only one sexual assault” so no biggie. I wonder what they’re thinking now.....

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:16 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:35 am
Any idea what CLC and PDR stand for?
Church Legal Council and Presiding Bishopric, i.e. the lawyers and accountants?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:45 pm

And this from an organization that is trying to be more transparent?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:35 am

I really need some context so I can evaluate this. What's considered normal? What's considered good?
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:03 pm

Normal? no idea, but I suspect this is pretty close to it.

Good? Nothing. No allegations of abuse or assault by church clergy or employees.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:20 am

Rob4Hope wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:45 pm
And this from an organization that is trying to be more transparent?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
"We are transparent as we know how to be" is a great line. It inures an ideal of doing ones best, but its actually not very well defined and doesn't actually require integrity.

Well played PR phrase.

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:44 am

This is an ongoing s**t show. Imagine, if you will, sitting in a new tenant build-out on one of the floors of the Eagle Gate Tower in Salt Lake, and watching general authorities, women with leadership positions, and several apostles enter the office and are ushered to their seats. To the right of the gathering is a table, a buffet-a feast- with some of the most incredible delicacies, giant shrimp, king crab legs, meats and cheese and fruit, breads- nothing spared- a thing of beauty. Kirton McConkie lawyers smiling broadly, shaking hands and so forth, neat shirts, ties and suits, shoes gleaming.

Next, the "solemn" dedication meeting starts, "thanks for being here to "dedicate" this floor in this building, such an honor to have all of you dignitaries, here so on and so forth, especially you lovely sisters". A few short remarks are given and everyone present is to bow their heads and fold their arms whilst an apostle "dedicates" the lawyer's office. Lawyers folks. Like Siegfried and Roy!

Finally- everyone who isn't of any importance, anyone who is not a church "official" is shown to the door, past the buffet, past all the still seated dignitaries, into the hall and "close the damn door behind you".

Been there. Done that. Enough to make your skin crawl. What ever happened to "every job and every person in the Church is just as important as the next". Not. "Get thee out". Don't call us, we'll call you.

Oh, the lawyers got to stay. They paid for the feast....probably billed their time to the Church, and padded it of course. Lawyers.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell