What are you drinking right now?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Thoughtful

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:20 pm

I think I tried the PG after something too sweet last time. I tried again after a steak and it was, at least not horrible.

cwald

Post by cwald » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:58 pm

Hey Fellers. Glad to see you guys keeping this thread alive.

Well I just spent three weeks of July in Austria and Germany drinking beer. I was able to find and drink 72 different beers. None of them are worth really getting excited about unfortunately. Ok regional lagers and kolschs, but just okay.

Then I spent a week in England and Scotland and drank a bunch of warm, thick, flat cast ales during the hottest week on record. God damn I was glad to get back to Oregon and get some good beer.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

cwald

Post by cwald » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:02 pm

I just got back tonight from the Hillsboro Brewfest where I was helping out setting up and being an alcohol monitor in between bouts of drinking... I was able to sample 31 different new beers. Some really good stuff and some really good ciders which I'm usually not a fan of but damn they had some pretty good stuff. They had this Berry cider and a Pineapple Cider from Nat's that was really phenomenal...

Maybe I'll post more for my notes if I get a chance.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:11 am

YAY!!!

The alien is back!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:10 pm

Starbucks was handing out little samples of some capa-carmel-something. I went rogue and decided to grab one and try it. I think it had coffee in it. I felt guilty as hell, I was all shifty eyes and fidgets. I was so worried someone would see me and make a stink about it. Holy hell this sucks.

The caramel was nice, but the coffee part tasted like someone burnt something in a pan and then scraped the bottom of the pan and put it in the drink. Why do y'all like that so much?

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:57 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:10 pm
The caramel was nice, but the coffee part tasted like someone burnt something in a pan and then scraped the bottom of the pan and put it in the drink.
Starbucks tends to heavily roast their beans, which tends to result in more roasted flavors compared to a roast done by someone else. They probably do it for the sake of uniformity, shelf-life, and because it tends to stand up to their heavily sugared coffee concoctions.
Why do y'all like that so much?
Putting aside the obvious (that we aren't a hive mind and have our own taste preferences), not all coffee is created equal. Different roasts, preparation methods, and beans taste different (age will influence things too). Doesn't even necessarily have to be fancy expensive coffee to taste significantly different. I buy the Aldi's cheapo German medium roast and make cold brew with it, it is insanely chocolately compared to Starbucks Cold Brew which I often struggle to get anything out of it that isn't deep dark roasted flavors (what you are describing as burnt).

Also, taste preferences are mutable. My initial reaction to coffee was similar to yours and my first reaction to an IPA was pretty stereotypical. I quite enjoy both now and am capable of tasting and enjoying the differences and nuances that were initially overpowered by other elements until my palate became used to them.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

HighMaintenance

Post by HighMaintenance » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:39 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:10 pm
Starbucks was handing out little samples of some capa-carmel-something. I went rogue and decided to grab one and try it. I think it had coffee in it. I felt guilty as hell, I was all shifty eyes and fidgets. I was so worried someone would see me and make a stink about it. Holy hell this sucks.

The caramel was nice, but the coffee part tasted like someone burnt something in a pan and then scraped the bottom of the pan and put it in the drink. Why do y'all like that so much?
I'm not a fan of Starbucks coffee. At all. Find a small coffee house, get something made with a Tanzanian, Kona, or Kauai Peaberry and heavy cream and you'll know what a good coffee is.... which reminds me. I've got a bag of Kona peaberry I need to use. :)
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:42 pm

Mike's lemonade tonight.

After 2 drinks, I'm basically struggling to keep my eyes open. Seems like a lot of calories to just fall asleep.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:33 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:30 pm

How does one appreciate wine? Can someone tell me a good wine for beginners?
Glass Shelf told me about Roscato. It's a sweet rose wine. I tried some and I liked it. I liked it better after some of the ice I had in it melted a bit. I know you're not supposed to put ice in wine. But I liked it better that way.

I also don't like PG.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:34 pm

Updates:

Barefoot pink moscato is good!

Corona light w/lime is alright, decent.

Medium roast pinion kuerig coffee with 3tbs caramel mocha creamer is doable.

Getting there anyway...will keep trying things.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:33 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:34 pm
Updates:

They have them in cute little bottles at Target. I'm getting some next time I go!! :D
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Random

Post by Random » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:47 pm

No Tof wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:10 am
drinking in lots of info regarding the use of cannabis.

As you might know, the true north strong and free will allow all to receive without legal penalty, recreational rights to cannabis.

Visitors welcome. The party should start on October 17, unless some glitch in our parliament delays things again.

In the meantime, home made lime-aid using gin is a nice summer drink.
Dang! Where's the "like" button. :lol:
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:56 pm

MoPag wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:33 am
Thoughtful wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:34 pm
Updates:

They have them in cute little bottles at Target. I'm getting some next time I go!! :D
Dude, the hangover anxiety the next day was horrific though. Cheap wine issue, or what??

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:43 am

DW and I are in Italy for the next few weeks and have learned a few things. Bottled water and local wine are about the same cost. At least here in Puglia. Driving through miles and miles of grapevine filled land makes a man thirsty. Red, white, rose are all becoming part of my new quorum.

Limoncello, well, I think it’s a must try if you’re ever in Italy, won’t ever be my favourite.
Aperol spritz though is a nice summer lunch drink.
Fresh grappa. Now there’s a drink worthy of any bishop.🃏

Ciao
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:56 pm

I had a nicer Rose' wine last night and no weird anxiety or hangover. Tonight I'm doing room service with pizza and more Italian Rose'. That will be my night "in" tonight and my first experience drinking alone to see what it feels like to just relax on my own.

Anyone ever wonder if they're on the road to alcoholism? :lol:

I don't drink nearly as much as my colleagues. One of them appears to drink 5-7 drinks every single day. I don't know how she does it. She probably weighs 120 lbs and doesn't ever gain weight.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:05 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:56 pm
Anyone ever wonder if they're on the road to alcoholism? :lol:
I did for a while, but then I realize it wasn't because alcohol was causing problems in my life but because I'd been pretty heavily programmed that consuming alcohol = alcoholic. Now I did realize at one point that in my giddiness to try it all I was probably going overboard but I cut things back to a moderate level.
I don't drink nearly as much as my colleagues. One of them appears to drink 5-7 drinks every single day. I don't know how she does it. She probably weighs 120 lbs and doesn't ever gain weight.
That's not healthy, even the studies that are inconclusive or only show moderate health consequences for moderate drinking are talking about 1-2 standard drinks (low end for women, upper end for men) a day and not essentially drinking a six-pack or a bottle of wine a day (or more if we're talking non-standard drinks here).
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:59 pm

Cabefnet Sauvignon tonight. Wow. Best red Ive tried.

HighMaintenance

Post by HighMaintenance » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:36 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:59 pm
Have you tried any Old Vine Zinfandels? They are my favorite red wines, other than a few of the Arizona blended red wines that I buy occasionally.
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:50 pm

HighMaintenance wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:36 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:59 pm
Have you tried any Old Vine Zinfandels? They are my favorite red wines, other than a few of the Arizona blended red wines that I buy occasionally.
Not yet--been enjoying the cabernets, but I will add it to my list. I think I need a google doc to list out what I like and didn't like!

Annabella Cabnernet was really good and not overly expensive.

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:47 pm

To day, being Sunday I only drank water. DW is probably putting a mark in her gunbelt to celebrate.

Just an update to let you know that Cannabis is now legal across the country north of the 49th parallel. As a card carrying medical user, I have been discovering the benefits of it's use to alleviate arthritic pain. (It is pretty effective in my case)
After a couple of months of fairly regular use and trying out many possible combinations of CBD and THC in their various titrations, I have decided that alcohol is much less appealing to me.

Having a drink at dinner or with friends on occasion is fine, even an enhancement, but for me and my house we will serve Cannabis...... to any who might come for a visit.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi