Is RMN senile?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Is RMN senile?

Post by 2bizE » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:10 pm

Just wondering if RMN is all there mentally...What has occurred lately has me wondering if he is not all there.
~2bizE

Not Buying It

Re: Is RMN senile?

Post by Not Buying It » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:15 am

He wouldn’t need to be senile to explain all the stupidity we’ve seen since he became President of the Church. Maybe he is, but the mere fact that he has spent decades in positions where members worship the ground he walks on and kiss his butt all the time, that alone would warp his thinking enough to explain how the petty little molehills he’s all hung up on became what he wants to direct his mantle of authority to addressing. They guy hasn’t received good, honest feedback in decades. Add to that the fact Aunt Wendy is filling his head with who knows what kind of not-even-once-club sacred-intimacy type nonsense, and you’ve got all of the ingredients you need right there for the kind of bizarre, weird behavior you are seeing from him.

And he might be senile too, who knows?
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:06 am

I called my grandparents last night to see how they are doing and my son had a question for his Great-Grandpa.
It's easy enough to carry a conversation. Just be sure to speak loudly and clearly. Some of the finer technical functions on his iPhone elude him, but he can FaceTime. When we finished, my wife and I looked at each other and laughed how tricky it is to talk with them.

My Grandpa is 83.

RSM is 94.

alas

Post by alas » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:41 am

Actually, I think him being senile would be an improvement on his current set of delusions. Delusion #1 He seems to really think that every odd thought that pops into his head is straight from God. Delusion #2 he thinks that the bubble he lives in is reality. Delusion #3 he thinks that because he feels strongly about it, it has to be supper important to God.

One of the things that is kind of normal with aging is people get set in their ways, eccentric, ridgid in their thinking. The personality becomes less flexible. Personality traits that have been there all along seem exaggerated. So, pet peeves can take on exaggerated importance.

Add onto that, I think he really believes he is prophet, whereas, I don’t think Manson or Hinckley really believed they had a bat phone to God. When Hinckley described his “inspiration” he described a process of study, prayer, more study, and gradually feeling good about the choice. He talked about reaching a consensus in the quorum, but notice he picked a time when the most stubborn were out of town. It didn’t sound too different than the Catholic process of picking a new pope. But how Aunt Wendy describes Russel’s inspiration is he gets a thought in the night and has to write it down to capture the inspiration.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:58 am

I suspected some senile moments during the first press conference because of the way Oaks stepped in at times. But this could have just been a case of nerves and the awkward moments waiting for the teleprompter to kick in. Henry is the one that looks like he's really struggling to be there in the moment!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

FreeFallin

Post by FreeFallin » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:46 pm

alas wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:41 am
Delusion #3 he thinks that because he feels strongly about it, it has to be super important to God.
Pretty much the fruit of the LDS philosophy of the Spirit right here. In Mormonism, strong feelings = truth. He's the top dog in the religion, therefore his strong feelings are the most important. Whether spoken by God or by the voice of his servant it is the same. :shock:

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:16 pm

The contrast between Nelson versus the appearences of Monson is stark. The last appearances of Benson and Kimball were even more painful to watch. Benson and Monson moved slowly and their delivery was painful to watch. Nelson may be 94 but he and HInckley were in remarkably good shape for men so close to the century mark.

Nelson's approach feels deliberate and measured. He knows what he is doing and saying even though the effects are so difficult for many church members. He's in charge and he knows it.

Evil_Bert

Post by Evil_Bert » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:45 pm

I don't know about senile, but he comes across as angry old man who feels that it is about time he had the power.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:51 am

alas wrote:
Add onto that, I think he really believes he is prophet, whereas, I don’t think Manson or Hinckley really believed they had a bat phone to God. When Hinckley described his “inspiration” he described a process of study, prayer, more study, and gradually feeling good about the choice. He talked about reaching a consensus in the quorum, but notice he picked a time when the most stubborn were out of town. It didn’t sound too different than the Catholic process of picking a new pope. But how Aunt Wendy describes Russel’s inspiration is he gets a thought in the night and has to write it down to capture the inspiration.
Yes^^ I also wonder how much their previous professions play into this. Hinckley and Monson both worked in print media. This would have taught them the importance understanding your audience in order to communicate effectively. They understood that THEY had a responsibility in the communication process. Nelson, as a surgeon, is used to being the one with all the knowledge. When he shouts are order, it is obeyed immediately without question. His only responsibility is shout the orders. He doesn't think he has any responsibility towards the people he is ordering around.
The push back he is getting is confusing to him. That's why he has to share these "moments of divine inspiration" to remind us he is Mormon god's top guy.

That being said, I would take a senile/delusional RMN over Oaks any day.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:06 am

FreeFallin wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:46 pm
alas wrote:
Delusion #3 he thinks that because he feels strongly about it, it has to be super important to God.
Pretty much the fruit of the LDS philosophy of the Spirit right here. In Mormonism, strong feelings = truth. He's the top dog in the religion, therefore his strong feelings are the most important. Whether spoken by God or by the voice of his servant it is the same. :shock:
All the way back to JS when he had strong feelings for that 14 year old girl! Had to do her...er it because...Revelation!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:54 pm

One reason I ask that question is because Monson has Alzheimer’s-like symptoms for years even before he was president. I remember an acquaintance who met with him in a short meeting and be told them the same story twice. This was just prior to him becoming president. He looked great in any other way. At 94, how would we know if RMN is not going down that same path? He is certainly working on his bucket list though.
~2bizE

EternityIsNow

Post by EternityIsNow » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:42 pm

The way it looks, I would say clinical depression is more probable than Alzheimer's. Also definitely the old man rigid thinking part. I knew an old man in his late 80s early 90s who every day would retell stories of how people had taken advantage of him or cheated him during the depression. Older people tend to remember a few decades ago much better than a few minutes ago. That's what I would say is probably going on here. There is not much future for him to think about, but a lot of past. And he's choosing to focus on hurt feelings from when he was a new apostle. My mother had several interactions with Nelson when her husband was a mission president 30 years ago. I remember her telling me that he was a very difficult man. She said something to the effect of you do not want to be on his bad side. Nelson would harshly reprove people who made mistakes. He has been like this for a long long time.

20/20hind

Post by 20/20hind » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:39 pm

Yes, he is 94 years old. Go find someone in there 90's and try to have a semi normal conversation with them.

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:15 pm

MoPag wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:51 am
alas wrote:
Yes^^ I also wonder how much their previous professions play into this. Hinckley and Monson both worked in print media. This would have taught them the importance understanding your audience in order to communicate effectively. They understood that THEY had a responsibility in the communication process. Nelson, as a surgeon, is used to being the one with all the knowledge. When he shouts are order, it is obeyed immediately without question. His only responsibility is shout the orders. He doesn't think he has any responsibility towards the people he is ordering around.
The push back he is getting is confusing to him. That's why he has to share these "moments of divine inspiration" to remind us he is Mormon god's top guy.

That being said, I would take a senile/delusional RMN over Oaks any day.
Some doctors have huge egos to start with...
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?