What's the deal with the social media fast?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
dogbite

Re: What's the deal with the social media fast?

Post by dogbite » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:20 pm

Ritual purity.

Scrupulosity test

achilles

Post by achilles » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:40 pm

HOW WILL THE DOTERRA GET SOLD???!!!
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:17 am

lostintime wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:46 am
This is going to create a bit of a headache for some people. My wife coordinates Activity Days pretty much all through facebook because all the moms are on there and it is convenient for group communication. Yes, there are other ways to do this, but its kind of a pain to make the switch for 10 days.
My ward didn't even make it a full 24 hours. The RS president came on to the shared RS facebook page and posted that she is allowing exceptions to be posted on that page. It has been a steady stream of primary,activity days, and scouts, birth announcements and random conversations about weather and requests for rides. So it appears everyone who swore an oath are jumping on this.

Funny to watch from the outside.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:12 pm

Two thoughts. 1. In Pres. Nelson's mind men can't fast from social media because then the church and its (male) leaders would have a break in communication. Fortunately, if women fast it doesn't stop the communication.
2. Joseph Smith in the October 1843 Conference (see: HC:VI, p. 58) said "Set our women to work, and stop their spinning street yarns and talking about spiritual wives." Pres. Nelson is carrying on a noble tradition. Think of Archie Bunker: "Stifle Edith."
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:13 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:12 pm
Two thoughts. 1. In Pres. Nelson's mind men can't fast from social media because then the church and its (male) leaders would have a break in communication. Fortunately, if women fast it doesn't stop the communication.
Because everything women do is trivial and either annoying or kinda cute-but-dispensable.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:08 am

Apparently, formerly-LDS women candidates in the November elections are bemoaning this prohibition from social media since it will hinder their campaign messages. The solution? Have their husbands and male children preside over the social media for them.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

January

Post by January » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:00 am

Do women get to choose when they do this 10-day fast?

To me, this shows how out-of-touch the leaders are. Yes, there is negative stuff on social media, but also every volunteer organization (such as the school PTO, band boosters, etc) I am part of communicates almost exclusively through a Facebook group.
“I, along with colleagues, and drawing from years of research, have found the evidence employed to support traditional Mormon claims to be either non-existent or problematic. In other words, it didn’t all happen the way we’ve been told.” -GP

alas

Post by alas » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:23 pm

Hey, now, the prophet said to fast from any social media that brings you down or makes you feel negative. So, I touched the “don’t want to see this” button on all my friends who post churchy stuff, unfollowed any tRump supporters, and quit any pro church blogs or discussion. Now my social media is all uplifting. Fast accomplished.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:44 am

Thankfully, my TBM daughters are ignoring this-- At least most of them. What a silly idea when one considers how families communicate nowadays. :roll:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.