Food for thinking...

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
græy

Food for thinking...

Post by græy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:26 pm

In recent weeks I attended a training meeting during which time our presiding authority shared some interesting details. Behold!
  • Convert baptisms are down 30% year over year. I don't know if this is for all of North America or just our area (which is not Utah).
  • Growth in our area is pretty much entirely due to members moving in.
  • The majority of baptisms occurring now are from minorities and "high needs" individuals.
  • Perceived "growth" is actually being outpaced by population growth. So in reality we're losing ground.
Take if for what you will.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Thoughtful

Re: Food for thinking...

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:41 pm

græy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:26 pm
In recent weeks I attended a training meeting during which time our presiding authority shared some interesting details. Behold!
  • Convert baptisms are down 30% year over year. I don't know if this is for all of North America or just our area (which is not Utah).
  • Growth in our area is pretty much entirely due to members moving in.
  • The majority of baptisms occurring now are from minorities and "high needs" individuals.
  • Perceived "growth" is actually being outpaced by population growth. So in reality we're losing ground.
Take if for what you will.

Probably all true in my area as well.

græy

Post by græy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:30 pm

It just send a little bit... surreal. Is this numbers are world wide, and they could be, then baptisms for 2018 will drop from 250,000 to 175,000. That is a MASSIVE drop.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Brent

Post by Brent » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:11 pm

Wait...what if members get married earlier and have more babies...that will fix it, right?

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:36 pm

Brent wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:11 pm
Wait...what if members get married earlier and have more babies...that will fix it, right?
It'll be like lowering the missionary age - you'll get that quick pop followed by a continuation of the overall slide...

Maybe they can lower the marriage age in Utah to 14 for girls like the good ol' days.

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:14 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:36 pm

It'll be like lowering the missionary age - you'll get that quick pop followed by a continuation of the overall slide...

Maybe they can lower the marriage age in Utah to 14 for girls like the good ol' days.
We don't marry 14 year olds in this church, and never have. We marry girls that are several months shy of their 15th birthdays. :)

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:52 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:36 pm
Brent wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:11 pm

I feel a new "revelation" coming.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:33 pm

Aww, I was hoping this would be about brain nourishment such as espresso ice cream and masaman curry.

It is a shame that cloning was not at a more advanced state. Another Elder Bednar and a whole slew of Elder Rasbands to help bolster him would really be something.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:28 am

moksha wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:33 pm
It is a shame that cloning was not at a more advanced state. Another Elder Bednar and a whole slew of Elder Rasbands to help bolster him would really be something.
Be careful with that cloning technology. That will release some Lovecraftian horrors. The idea behind "Every member a missionary" would lead to "Every bishop a Bednar" and "Every minister a Monson" as well as "Every wife a Wendy Watson".

græy

Post by græy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:37 pm

So, I just went to the fullerconsideration website to get actual numbers, and wanted to add some clarification.

This 30% drop in baptisms is NOT just our local stake, or our city. At the very least it is our "area", one of these: wiki. Which means baptisms have fallen very drastically in many of TSCC's stronghold states (read, dozens of temples and hundreds of wards). Very possibly, this is a church-wide number.

The baptism rate has been falling pretty drastically since 2014, but if this 30% figure represents church-wide numbers, then this year's number of convert baptisms will be the lowest it has been since 1978. That is ~157,000 now vs ~152,000 then.

That just seems crazy to me. Sorry for harping on something lame.