In which tattoos are discussed

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Thoughtful

In which tattoos are discussed

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:26 pm

Spouseman has been tossing around the idea of some sort of tattoo excursion. He wants to get some and me to get some.

I'm not sure, I've never considered this and I dont know if I want it. In my area, it's trendy to mainstream to do so. My employer does not care, and most people my age in our company have at least one.

I love the idea of Spouseman getting one or more, I see it as very masculine.

For myself? I'm not sure. I see a lot of tattoos that look poorly on women. I am not sure where I would put it or what to get. I would have to stop giving blood for awhile too.

What's the consensus on impressions of professional women with tattoos? How does it change an image? I do have a cartilage piercing, and hear lots of positives about that.

HighMaintenance

Re: In which tattoos are discussed

Post by HighMaintenance » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:08 am

I work for a large company in a professional environment. For the most part the only people who have a problem with tattoos are the older people that are nearing retirement. The middle group like me have the typical GenX attitude of "whatever works for you" and then a whole lot of newer, younger people that are covered with tattoos.

I have a couple of tattoos, but they are not visible when I'm wearing clothes, which is what I prefer for myself. The only tattoos I would really discourage is anyone's name in 3 inch high letters across your shoulders (well, unless it's your kids names, but placement and font size are important) and anything on your face.

Both of mine have special meaning to me and I searched for years for the right artwork for my second one. If you find something you really like, wait a month and see if you still like it. Make sure it's something you'll enjoy the rest of your life.
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:14 am

I have family members and friends with tattoos, I have no problem with them. My grandfather even had a couple of naked ladies on his arm. It was never a big deal even when I was a kid. When my son was in the hospital plenty of staff had them and I never thought less of them because of it. I do think they send a message and they are intended to - just like clothes and hair styles and people who say otherwise are living in a dream. Every day we get up and manufacture an image of ourselves that we project onto the world, so I do think it's smart to chose something with that in mind.

However, I personally don't like them and don't want one for myself. Just not my thing. I have a difficult time with the idea of permanent artwork. If you want one, get one. If you don't want to, don't. You can always get one later if you want to. Sometimes in the world of leaving Mormonism it seems like tattoos are a rite of passage and I'm the weirdo for not liking/wanting one.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:42 am

Modern culture is accepting.

I'm 100% in favor of people having the right to choose what to do with their bodies so generally speaking I'm ok with tattoos.

However, personally speaking I think tattoos are equivalent to wall paper. Over time they become dated reflecting time and current fads. Examples of this are "barbed wire around the bicep", low back "tramp stamp", "tribal designs", "Chinese symbols", cartoon characters, etc.

I personally like very few tattoos I've seen out in the general public mostly because the majority are extremely sloppy and plastered on extremely sloppy people. See the people of Wal-Mart shopping in their pajamas for example. It looks like they put about as much time thinking about their tattoo as they did in developing personal hygiene habits. :lol:

Obviously the more money someone has, the better their tattoo will be. Pay for a quality artist and get something that transcends time!

Then post pics here so we can see!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:24 am

I like tattoos but don't have any of my own yet. Kalikala recently got her first, and I'm a little surprised she beat me to it. Professionally, I see them at work. My boss (in 7-12 education) is a PhD, an assistant superintendent, and has a tattoo that is visible just above the back of her collar.

Professionally speaking, they're not frowned on as they used to be. Utah employers may be 30 years behind every relevant cultural development though, so use caution there.

alas

Post by alas » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:13 pm

Some employers frown on them, but do not forbid them. Such as my daughter works for IRS, and while nothing is said, promotions often go to those without any visible tats because they are judged to look more professional. A good tattoo adds nothing to your professional look, but a bad one will cost you. My daughter noticed the work environment, so her tattoo is where it only shows in casual dress such as swim suit or shorts. She has always loved tigers and dragons, and her tattoo is a tiger with cherry blossoms. Slightly oriental looking, very classic and artistic, full color, very expensive, and covers all of one legs, to just below the knee. She wears business pant suits to work, so no one at work has seen it, and I hardly ever see it.

Get something you can live with for life, and then take care of it. People don’t think they need to take care of a tattoo, but too much sun exposure on your tattoo will effect how it looks in ten to 15 years. I have seen some in places like Hawaii, where people can work in the tourist industry and be in swim suits, in the sun, six days a week. After a few years, they look terrible. Don’t gain a lot of weight, or loose a lot of weight, or accidentally get a scar that runs across it either.

To me, there are just too many problems. I can hang the art I love in my house, where if something happens or I stop liking it, it is easy to change. Putting art permanently on your body, well, that is just too permanent.

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:17 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:42 am
However, personally speaking I think tattoos are equivalent to wall paper. Over time they become dated reflecting time and current fads. Examples of this are "barbed wire around the bicep", low back "tramp stamp", "tribal designs", "Chinese symbols", cartoon characters, etc.
This is how I think of it as well. My 18-year-old daughter really wants a tatoo, and while I'm not against them in principle, I have been very resistant to her doing something now that she'll be more or less stuck with for the rest of her life.

That said, I've told her that if she still wants one when she's 21, I'll go with her and get one myself -- I really like the idea of having my deceased son's name tatooed somewhere small and discreet.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:36 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Modern culture is accepting.

I'm 100% in favor of people having the right to choose what to do with their bodies so generally speaking I'm ok with tattoos.

I personally like very few tattoos I've seen out in the general public mostly because the majority are extremely sloppy and plastered on extremely sloppy people. See the people of Wal-Mart shopping in their pajamas for example. It looks like they put about as much time thinking about their tattoo as they did in developing personal hygiene habits. :lol:

Obviously the more money someone has, the better their tattoo will be. Pay for a quality artist and get something that transcends time!

Then post pics here so we can see!
This is a good summary of my concern. I have no idea what would be "timeless" anyway.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:39 pm

alas wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:13 pm
Some employers frown on them, but do not forbid them. Such as my daughter works for IRS, and while nothing is said, promotions often go to those without any visible tats because they are judged to look more professional. A good tattoo adds nothing to your professional look, but a bad one will cost you. My daughter noticed the work environment, so her tattoo is where it only shows in casual dress such as swim suit or shorts. She has always loved tigers and dragons, and her tattoo is a tiger with cherry blossoms. Slightly oriental looking, very classic and artistic, full color, very expensive, and covers all of one legs, to just below the knee. She wears business pant suits to work, so no one at work has seen it, and I hardly ever see it.

Get something you can live with for life, and then take care of it. People don’t think they need to take care of a tattoo, but too much sun exposure on your tattoo will effect how it looks in ten to 15 years. I have seen some in places like Hawaii, where people can work in the tourist industry and be in swim suits, in the sun, six days a week. After a few years, they look terrible. Don’t gain a lot of weight, or loose a lot of weight, or accidentally get a scar that runs across it either.

To me, there are just too many problems. I can hang the art I love in my house, where if something happens or I stop liking it, it is easy to change. Putting art permanently on your body, well, that is just too permanent.
Head of company has several in my case. I need clients to take me seriously, obviously. Would not want a first impression to ruin a relationship. However most of my clients anymore have them and I also do not want to be stuffy or out of touch. Or stuffy and out of touch by trying to be hip! Haha.

alas

Post by alas » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:52 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:39 pm
alas wrote:

Head of company has several in my case. I need clients to take me seriously, obviously. Would not want a first impression to ruin a relationship. However most of my clients anymore have them and I also do not want to be stuffy or out of touch. Or stuffy and out of touch by trying to be hip! Haha.
Does your work have any sort of dress code? If it does, I think better safe than sorry. You know, if you are in banking, you have to maintain a “businessman” look. If you sell real estate in Hawaii, not so much. And if you are into scuba, surfing, or boating in Hawaii, you should have had them years ago. So, it is hard to say about somebody else’s job. What do your coworkers have? Multiple earrings? Tattoos? Nose rings? I have two earrings in each ear, and for my generation who grew up with “nobody but Catholics and hookers pierced their ears,” that is extreme. Nobody my age that I know has two ear piercings, in conservative small town Utah and Idaho (tRump country). So, it also depends on where you live, where you work, your age, and just how stuffy your boss is. There is also the personality factor. I come across as very conservative, but I am a flaming liberal. So, I actually confuse people who meet me. So, a tattoo on me just doesn’t feel right. See, my tastes in clothing and music are quite classic and conservative, positively square. People meet me and assume I am TBM and repuckican, then I open my mouth and confuse the hell out of them.

So, go on vacation and get a henna tattoo and see how it fits.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:50 am

Red Ryder wrote:
One of my XSIL's dumba$$ ex boyfriends had a tat of the 7-up dot guy from like the early 90s :lol: And it was like really big on his bicep. :lol:
Fifi de la Vergne wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:17 pm
I really like the idea of having my deceased son's name tatooed somewhere small and discreet.
I really want to get a memorial tattoo for angel DS too.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:11 am

MoPag wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:50 am
I really want to get a memorial tattoo for angel DS too.
(((hugs)))
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:47 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
... cartoon characters, etc. ...
One of the coolest tattoos I've ever witnessed was Grover (in a Harley Davidson t-shirt.)

Also have a friend who's nickname for one if their children is "Scooby." Guess what kind of tattoo they have dedicated to their child?

I guess I'm saying I like cartoon character tatoos??? Time to figure out what part of my body needs some Marvin the Martian ink. :mrgreen:

I think I agree everyone else on the permanence of tatoos... I can't think of anything I want permanently installed (besides Marvin,) though the talk of artwork dedicated to children intrigues me, but I'm really not creative enough to come up with anything good. :roll:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:02 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
However, personally speaking I think tattoos are equivalent to wall paper. Over time they become dated reflecting time and current fads.
Plus the tattoos are subject to bodily changes like wrinkling. Whatever you do, make sure the tattoo artist can spell.

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:38 pm

alas wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:52 am
Thoughtful wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:39 pm
alas wrote:

Does your work have any sort of dress code? If it does, I think better safe than sorry. You know, if you are in banking, you have to maintain a “businessman” look. If you sell real estate in Hawaii, not so much. And if you are into scuba, surfing, or boating in Hawaii, you should have had them years ago. So, it is hard to say about somebody else’s job. What do your coworkers have? Multiple earrings? Tattoos? Nose rings? I have two earrings in each ear, and for my generation who grew up with “nobody but Catholics and hookers pierced their ears,” that is extreme. Nobody my age that I know has two ear piercings, in conservative small town Utah and Idaho (tRump country). So, it also depends on where you live, where you work, your age, and just how stuffy your boss is. There is also the personality factor. I come across as very conservative, but I am a flaming liberal. So, I actually confuse people who meet me. So, a tattoo on me just doesn’t feel right. See, my tastes in clothing and music are quite classic and conservative, positively square. People meet me and assume I am TBM and repuckican, then I open my mouth and confuse the hell out of them.

So, go on vacation and get a henna tattoo and see how it fits.
My colleagues are highly educated, graduate level. Most under 50 have tattoos, piercings, or both. I have no idea if there's a dress code, but colleagues and clients wear all kinds of clothes from casual to business wear.

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:39 pm

Inkbox.com may be a good place to start. An ad for them popped up on Pinterest today, good timing.
I personally do not find tattoos, especially large ones, very attractive on men or women but if it makes you happy and you are sure about what you get. I don’t think less of anyone for having them, unless they are vulgar of course. I think they can ruin a nice or formal outfit... sorry. I would never do a permanent tattoo but I may do this inkbox myself... could be fun... a statement... something environmental maybe, fandom... Zelda, Studio Ghibli, or a bird flying out of a cage... Still I Rise.... hmmm this could be fun indeed.

Please share if you get one!
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder