Compelling witness youth video

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
FiveFingerMnemonic

Compelling witness youth video

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:44 pm

This reminds me of the cheesy seminary videos I grew up with in the early 90s.

https://www.lds.org/youth/video/compell ... ook-shared

A few observations. The use of the term "revelation" instead of translation by the defendent girl. Subtle narrative shift for innoculation purposes.

They just love Emma's witness about Joseph's poor grammar and lowly farm education. Too bad they never mention Hyram's Dartmouth experiences in New England.

-Innoculation trigger warning- for you sensitive apostates Image

FiveFingerMnemonic

Re: Compelling witness youth video

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:02 pm

One observation. Rather than the young prosecutor man saying the book is a fraud, he calls it historical fiction. It seems to be a subtle way of shifting the argument by sleight of hand away from total fraud to choice A is historical fiction, choice B is go by your personal feelings, and you never get to see choice C (fraud). IE, the car salesman gives you the choice of the blue Ford or the Red Ford so you don't see the bitchin' jeep across the street.

Also Tad Callister has a bitchin' mustache shadow. Mustachio man!

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:29 pm

Let the inoculation begin! You can try and stick a needle into the youth, but it doesn't stop the bleeding.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:22 am

This stuff is the worst and they know exactly what they are doing here.

And the last few months certainly give some credibility to Bill Reel's claim that they are shifting away from a historical BoM and moving towards a more mainstream approach.

I still think that RMN and Oaks in the future will never adapt to that mindset though, so we'll see if there's a little bit of a tug of war between CES and leadership, although leadership will always win.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:02 pm

It's funny how this video is trying to not overtly be an apologetic explanation even though it totally is. They are trying to keep the burden of proof on the evil Evangelical, requiring him to show why it could possibly be a stretch of truth that the Book of Mormon is scripture. I imagine that some bright eyed FairMormon apologists are watching this and thinking, "There are so many great evidences of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon that they are leaving out!"

I watched as much of the video that I could tolerate. For me, this falls into a weird limbo with the Gospel Topic Essays. Any believer who knows about this video or the essays is deeply unlikely to bring them up to me. I'm not an impressionable youth who may or may not go on a mission. There is very little that could possibly be used to threaten me so no one would possibly bring this up.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:58 am

Finally forced myself to watch the video.

Do the "youth" actually watch these? Are they showing this craziness in seminary?

Like the essays, this sort of "kind of" admitting there are issues could backfire for LDS-Inc. Honestly, I think most "youth" today will see through this sort of BS.

I also loved Emma's "It was a miracle" comment. That's great "evidence" to present in a court of law to prove something beyond reasonable doubt. In fact, I need to remember to use that phrase early and often the next time I get called in for jury duty. :mrgreen:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:40 am

I love how they continue to use the quote from Emma that Joseph could not have concealed notes from her (which was given about 50 years after the BoM was written), yet he successfully concealed polygamous marriages and possibly adulterous relationships from her... not to mention that he clearly copied in errors from the KJV which would be impossible without notes.

I mean if I was in that courtroom that would certainly be my first question on cross examination.

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:47 am

That was painful, I couldn't finish the whole video.
Same apologetic responses as previous with a fresh format and videography update.

Also, nice to see the continued "Us vs Them" tribalism. Some boy sees the book and says "My pastor says that book is fiction" and we instantly jump to a courtroom with this unlearned girl vs a bunch of lawyers.

Keep paying tithing, these productions are going to film themselves.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:50 am

Kishkumen wrote:That was painful, I couldn't finish the whole video.
Same apologetic responses as previous with a fresh format and videography update.

Also, nice to see the continued "Us vs Them" tribalism. Some boy sees the book and says "My pastor says that book is fiction" and we instantly jump to a courtroom with this unlearned girl vs a bunch of lawyers.

Keep paying tithing, these productions are going to film themselves.
I think it is interesting that the opposition is still evangelical or protestant christianity and not secular humanism or science. I don't think they want to go there with youth. Better to keep the enemy as another branch of fundamentalist christianity.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:19 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:50 am
I think it is interesting that the opposition is still evangelical or protestant christianity and not secular humanism or science. I don't think they want to go there with youth. Better to keep the enemy as another branch of fundamentalist christianity.
Great point. Why don't they call one of the archaeologist that LDS-Inc. actually funded to find the BoM lands to the stand: "Uh... There is ZERO archaeological evidence..."

Yes I know, the LDS-Inc. archaeologist would just lie, but even so... LDS-Inc. doesn't even dare mention anything related to science, because at that point, actual evidence will come into play...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Wow, that Charles Anton is a lot stupider than the real one. For starters, he might have pointed out that many of those "unique" names were copied from his own book.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."