Where to get coffee and booze in SLC?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Thoughtful

Where to get coffee and booze in SLC?

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:32 am

Recommendations?

In town for the holiday and might need caffeine and/or a stiff drink at some point.

wtfluff

Re: Where to get coffee and booze in SLC?

Post by wtfluff » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:18 pm

Utah is still in 'merica, there is a Starbucks on every other corner, and in every other grocery store. (If you want crappy Starbucks coffee.)

Other than that, there are also plenty of independent little coffee shops. Depending on where you are in the Valley, we could give different recommendations. Also: Most Harmons have a coffee bar inside where they brew decent coffee from local roasters.

Booze? The only place to get real booze in Salt Lake is at the Church-run, uh... I mean the State-run Liquor Stores. Ask google where they are. Not open on holidays or Sundays.

The only alcohol that is available outside the liquor stores - in grocery and convenience stores is (very) mild barley drinks of the 4% (ABV) genre.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:30 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:18 pm
Utah is still in 'merica, there is a Starbucks on every other corner, and in every other grocery store. (If you want crappy Starbucks coffee.)

Other than that, there are also plenty of independent little coffee shops. Depending on where you are in the Valley, we could give different recommendations. Also: Most Harmons have a coffee bar inside where they brew decent coffee from local roasters.

Booze? The only place to get real booze in Salt Lake is at the Church-run, uh... I mean the State-run Liquor Stores. Ask google where they are. Not open on holidays or Sundays.

The only alcohol that is available outside the liquor stores - in grocery and convenience stores is (very) mild barley drinks of the 4% (ABV) genre.
Found a fantastic coffee shop at about 3300 so and 2200ish east Millcreek. Very cheap too, 3 specialty coffees for under $9. They would be $8/each at Starbucks at home.

But booze, like are there bars? State liquor near sojo? Do I dare sneak a bottle of rum or wine into my parents home?

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:21 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:30 pm
But booze, like are there bars? State liquor near sojo? Do I dare sneak a bottle of rum or wine into my parents home?
Bars in SoJo? I believe there is a 'Bout Time somewhere in SoJo, and there is The Break in Daybreak, other than that, I know nothing.

State Liqour stores nearest SoJo: 6200 South, 5400 West. and 13332 South Market Center Drive (near 13400 south and Bangerter Hwy.)

Sneaking "sauce" into parents house? Sounds sketchy to me.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:12 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:21 am
Thoughtful wrote:
Bars in SoJo? I believe there is a 'Bout Time somewhere in SoJo, and there is The Break in Daybreak, other than that, I know nothing.

State Liqour stores nearest SoJo: 6200 South, 5400 West. and 13332 South Market Center Drive (near 13400 south and Bangerter Hwy.)

Well, I certainly never did it as a teen.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:24 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:12 am
wtfluff wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:21 am
Thoughtful wrote:

Well, I certainly never did it as a teen.
Me neither. What does it say about this organization we can't stop talking about for us to consider attempting it as adults? #NotaCult

I should have added: If you're in SoJo, there's a good little independent coffee shop a bit south in Rivertion:

The Coffee Shop: 12571 Pasture Rd, Riverton - Just West of In 'n Out off of Bangerter.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

alas

Post by alas » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:46 pm

If you just want a drink and don’t want to have to sneak a bottle into your parent’s house, find a bar or restaurant with a liquor license. SLC is normal enough to have restaurants that serve a drink with your meal and normal enough to have bars. I can’t tell you where any bars are, but my daughter was bar tender at Chili’s, so I know they serve alcohol.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:43 pm

We ended up at a comedy bar. My brother and his wife came too and had a drink with us.