Bill Reel--Disciplinary Court is Imminent

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Re: Bill Reel--Disciplinary Court is Imminent

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:24 am

Amazing experience. Bill said everyone agreed that he was telling the truth and that they cannot deny that church leaders are lying. The SP expressed distress that he was forced to side with the church rather than the truth. Bill said he believes a few HC shelves broke.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:19 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:24 am
Amazing experience. Bill said everyone agreed that he was telling the truth and that they cannot deny that church leaders are lying. The SP expressed distress that he was forced to side with the church rather than the truth. Bill said he believes a few HC shelves broke.
WOW! The SP said that during the DC?

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:28 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wow! I cannot imagine any SP I have ever had saying something like that. I would bet that with this being reported, this SP is getting an interview pretty soon.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:31 am

Hagoth wrote:
I hope someone recorded this.

Bill did the right thing by going even if it felt unnecessary to most of us.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:12 am

Hagoth wrote:
I have to wonder now, if those HC do end up with broken shelves, how the church will change the disciplinary council proceedings. What happens if all the SP's are afraid to conduct disciplinary councils for apostasy because they lose 2 or 3 HC when they do?

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:54 am

I think over 200 people were there last night. Was a nice turnout.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:13 am

So, what happened? This didn't start until after I went to bed last night, so I have not heard anything yet.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:15 am

Just This Guy wrote:So, what happened? This didn't start until after I went to bed last night, so I have not heard anything yet.
They had the court, but the SP did not reveal his (or really the Q15) decision yet. Said it would be delivered later.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:58 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:15 am
Just This Guy wrote:So, what happened? This didn't start until after I went to bed last night, so I have not heard anything yet.
They had the court, but the SP did not reveal his (or really the Q15) decision yet. Said it would be delivered later.
Yep, "The Usual" for a "high profile" Mormon-Inc.-style "lynching" of no verdict until later.

There are videos on Mormon Stories Podcast FaceNeck of last night when he exited the building and spoke to the crowd for a few minutes. He also posted a snippet of his thoughts over on that really-angry-exmo Reddit, and he recorded a short discussion with Infants on Thrones this morning that has already been posted on the IOT website.

Very interesting proceedings compared to the other "high profile" tribunals we have witnessed.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:17 am

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:15 am
I have served in bishoprics, and this is a common result. I was a ward clerk and often drafted the response for the bishop. I will grant that having some time to write up a formal response is for the best, but Bill Reel is a guy who feels his membership far more deeply than someone like me. Bill will probably be on an emotional edge while awaiting a formal response. I don't envy the external stress he is experiencing at his day job at this very instant.

The most transformative result is if Bill's stake president simply goes against his probable directive and allows Bill to remain in the church. That might be the end of the leadership career of that stake president, but "what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" That would put the feet to the fire of the apostles and Holland specifically.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:30 am

Just listened to the IOT podcast with Bill's description of the proceedings. It was excellent! He had the chance to lay so much of it out there in front of that council/court, all the major issues with JS, the history and all the other facts about the issues with church truth claims. That he saw the bewilderment on many of the faces in there and likely will have heavily burdened many shelves. Then Bill's claim about the one HC who was admitting to the fact that the church's integrity was on the line! How could this have gone any better? You would expect that these TBMs would have had the usual appologetic answers and responses, but that was not the case according to Bill. I am so proud of Bill and hope this produces good fruits.
2 Nephi 28:15
O the wise, and the learned, and the rich, that are puffed up in the pride of their hearts, and all those who preach false doctrines, and all those who commit whoredoms, and pervert the right way of the Lord, wo, wo, wo be unto them, saith the Lord God Almighty, for they shall be thrust down to hell!
John 8:32 (NIV)
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:34 pm

Hagoth wrote:
That is awesome! I'm glad you and Hermey got to go and represent NOM. :D

Rob4Hope wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:54 am
I think over 200 people were there last night. Was a nice turnout.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Dear COB,

I know you were hoping that the Tuesday night scheduling would deter supporters. But our people have the zeal and dedication you wish your people had. Suck it!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Listening to Bill Reel's infants on thrones podcast now... that should scare the hell out of the church leadership to know how little the people know about the church and the impact that listening to the facts in detail can have.

We're seeing it so much with younger members who aren't as entrenched, but just look at how these old white dudes reacted to Bill... clearly they had NO idea about almost any of the truly damaging stuff.

Perhaps they're all on FAIR this morning and they feel better about it, but again once you're exposed to it you have to really work hard to believe it's not just a product of Joseph Smith's imagination.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:58 pm

Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:54 am
Apparently he laid out a pretty good case:

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... e-charges/

And that would be the critical difference. As I understand it most SPs as a rule don't allow a member to actually mount a defense. They get shut down pretty quick.

SPs and HCs exist to tell you what's going to happen, not to listen to what you think is happening. Their job is to counsel, not be counseled.

I'm amazed that this SP may have actually given Bill a chance to make his case. Maybe there actually are some non puppets out there.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:27 pm

MoPag wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:34 pm
And Rob4Hope was able to catch a ride with Dehlin.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:44 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:27 pm
MoPag wrote:
Did John ask him to pay for the gas and a hotel through donations to the OSF? :lol:
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Stig

Post by Stig » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:35 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:44 pm
Hagoth wrote:
MoPag wrote:
Did John ask him to pay for the gas and a hotel through donations to the OSF? :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:37 am

The single dumbest thing a stake president could do is take all of his top leadership, stick them in one room behind closed doors, and give Bill Reel 60 minutes to say anything he wants to them!

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:41 am

Hagoth wrote:
MoPag wrote:
That is awesome!! :D
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound