Sad? Funny?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Brent

Sad? Funny?

Post by Brent » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:39 pm

slavereeno

Re: Sad? Funny?

Post by slavereeno » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:05 pm

I love this.

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:31 pm

Amazing!
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Excellent!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

alas

Post by alas » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:15 pm

Pathetic. I can’t believe I ever believed....wait, I never did. I got hung up on blacks being fence sitters, on polygamy, on women being queens unto their husbands, on secret handshakes before I ever made it through the endowment ceremony. So, three quarters of this, I disbelieved as soon as I knew it. And it leaves out what happens to Gods gay and transgender children as if they don’t exist. Oh, that’s right, there are no gays in the church. There are a few bugs built into this program that only someone as racist, sexist, bigoted, and egotistical as Brigham Young would believe. So, you could probably convert Trump to it. He’d love it even more it it had a wall keeping brown people out too.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:43 pm

[Nervous Giggle]

Yeah, while the Harry Potter references make this version a bit funnier/more palatable, I've got to agree with Alas. Well, except that I believed it hook, line and sinker for more than 40 years. :(

How many parents here on NOM would treat their kids the way "Elohim" treats us?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:45 am

This is interesting. An average TBM might argue that certain parts (fence sitters) are not correct,although that is constantly in flux. (my 9th grade Seminary teacher probably would have agreed %100 with this) It would be interesting to compare charts of other world views: Christian, Muslim, Deist, etc.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

alas

Post by alas » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:25 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:45 am
This is interesting. An average TBM might argue that certain parts (fence sitters) are not correct,although that is constantly in flux. (my 9th grade Seminary teacher probably would have agreed %100 with this) It would be interesting to compare charts of other world views: Christian, Muslim, Deist, etc.
Some TBMs would even argue that polygamy is not necessary to enter the top tier of the CK. The modern church seems to say that just being married is enough to be in the top level. And some feminists are quite insistent that there will be no polygamy at all in the CK. But then some of the males who say one wife is enough to get you into the top layer secretly believe they will gain additional wives after this life because it is like the single sister who never marry through no choice of their own, they will be given in marriage to some man who only married one woman through no choice of his own, seeing as polygamy is illegal.

One thing that struck me, early on in my inability to believe this crap in spite of trying, was that many people deny the actual doctrine. There are probably 80% of the women in the church who pretend there will be no polygamy, when the church has never come out and said that polygamy is not a requirement. Brigham Young’s comments still stand as far as official doctrine goes. Then there is the 70% of women who honestly think they will be equal to their husbands. Not only are they in denial of polygamy making women secondary and property of their husbands/lords, they are in denial about the secondary position the temple ceremony puts women in. They think the term “harken” has nothing to do with the previous term of “obey” and think it only means they have to listen IF their husband listens to God, not listen and obey AS their husband is commanded to listen to and obey God. They twist the endowment to pretend they are equal. Many women come up with new doctrine to explain how women (mothers) bring children through the veil to this earth, so it is only fair that husbands take their wives through after this earth, without even seeing that they are putting wives in the role of children for the next life. (Two trees, invented explanation f the temple symbolism by...I forget but she has a book out on it. Valery Hudson something or other) Then there are the signs and tokens themselves. People have all kinds of ways to justify that God our Father uses secret passwords and secret handshakes for how he guards heaven. He doesn’t know us personally, but needs handshakes to tell his children from sinners. In the real endowment, righteousness matters less than knowing the secrets. To me, that was horrifying. You mean, a good person born in the wrong place goes to the bad place while a criminal like Joseph Bishop goes to the CK. No way does God do it with secret pass words and secret hand shakes.

I understand that they are rejecting the parts they just can’t believe a kind and loving God would do, but when you have to pretend the endowment ceremony says something different than it actually says to keep believing in the endowment ceremony, it just strikes me as odd why anyone would want to continue to believe at all.