Will I get in trouble for teaching primary?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
slavereeno

Will I get in trouble for teaching primary?

Post by slavereeno » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:19 pm

My daughter is in my class until the end of the year. I am trying to teach good moral principles, and i mostly gloss over or skip entirely the mormony "stuff" I am consistently with a semi-active brother as my teaching companion, because frankly I am ALWAYS there and they want and anchor in each companionship for teaching so they are not constantly looking for subs. This doesn't bother me too much this year since my last kid is actually in my class and I like my kids. Anyway, point is I often have a substitute babysitter and I teach the lesson "my way" so I worry I will someday get into trouble if my companion actually listens to the lessons and goes "WTF?" What I taught:

The story of Jonah and whale probably is just a fable and nobody actually got swallowed by a "big fish"
God loved the Ninevites just as much as the Israelites.
The Ninevites never became Israelites and yet God still loved them and reached out to them
Jonah's sin was that he thought he was better than the Ninevites
Mormons are often like Jonah and think they are better than other people and this is wrong
What things do other's say about mormon's? Followed by "Have you ever said things like that about non-mormons?"
God loves non-mormons just as much as mormons and doesn't care if they all become mormons.

I had a healthy mixture of calling us "Mormon" and calling us members of the COJCOLDS in the actual lesson. I try to mix the two when I can.

My teaching companion was furiously looking at things on his phone the whole lesson and tried to tell me afterwards that Jonah was probably teaching Israelites that lived in Nineveh. :roll: I was kind of like, oh yeah, probably the wolf in the three little pigs story was a Mexican Grey.

Reuben

Re: Will I get in trouble for teaching primary?

Post by Reuben » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:25 pm

If you're consistently showing up, you're in the top 20% of primary teachers. There's very little trouble you could get into as long as you're not too heretical.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:52 pm

I thought Jonah's problem was that he was afraid of the Ninevites and that they wouldn't appreciate his message. Not that he thought he was better than them.

The Ninevites were Gentiles with the city being located in today's Iraq. I highly doubt any Israelites were hanging out there.

All in all it sounds like you taught a fine lesson.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:10 am

Palerider wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:52 pm
I thought Jonah's problem was that he was afraid of the Ninevites and that they wouldn't appreciate his message. Not that he thought he was better than them.
Yes this is true, he was probably afraid of them, but even after he sort of waits around to watch God destroy them, but that doesn't necessarily mean he thought he was better than them.

græy

Post by græy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:10 am

As a parent of primary aged kids, I'd be happy to have any sort of positive/uplifting lesson. But I'm starting to realize that I'm a lot more easy going to some people.

In our ward we just had some parents write a complaint email to the bishop and primary pres because their 2 year old child was not allowed to go to the restroom alone and had an accident. They went so far as to call the nursery leader a liar because she said the girl never even asked to go. They're getting free babysitting from a volunteer, and they chose to attack her personally.

Neither of the parents are busy during 2nd or 3rd hour, and they have only one other baby (8mos) but they can't be bothered to take their daughter to bathroom before nursery, or check on her between 2nd and 3rd hours because "she's independent and won't go to the bathroom simply because we tell her to." :|

And then they blame the nursery leader, who really is doing the best she can, and is genuinely one of the best people I know.

Keep doing what you're doing Slavereeno. Parents will either complain or not, but if they do they were probably going to complain about something anyway. And no bishop is going to discipline you for saying that Jonah probably didn't live inside a giant fish for 3 days before getting spit back out.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:14 pm

Reuben wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:25 pm
If you're consistently showing up, you're in the top 20% of primary teachers. There's very little trouble you could get into as long as you're not too heretical.
This^^^ Like what are they going to do? Fire you? Cut your pay? :lol:
græy wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:10 am
Keep doing what you're doing Slavereeno. Parents will either complain or not, but if they do they were probably going to complain about something anyway. And no bishop is going to discipline you for saying that Jonah probably didn't live inside a giant fish for 3 days before getting spit back out.
And this^^^ And if the parents complain, tell them you will gladly let them have your calling. That will shut them up pretty quick.

P.S. That was a great lesson!!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound