Shower thought: Are Mormons accostomed to day old baked goods?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Thoughtful

Shower thought: Are Mormons accostomed to day old baked goods?

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:16 pm

I am hosting a continental brunch next Sunday, and my oven is broken, so I ordered the traditional baked treats for the holiday.

First I called a bakery that does fundraising for our local victims advocates, donating supplies and labor for benefit sales. I wanted to support their business because they help my colleagues at the victims advocates.

They were booked up.

So I called the LDS owned bakery, knowing that, in the past they have done special events Sunday morning OR bake on Sunday for Monday events.

It's a fairly large order, but not extreme--4 doz pastry items.

She said she would do it. Then, on realizing I'm LDS, said I have to pick up Saturday, claiming she doesn't work Sunday which I know was not the case 2 months ago.

In the shower, this flashed me back to Sunday school classes or Sunday events like YW in excellence, where day old doughnuts sometimes were our refreshments.

In fact, since my parents didn't buy pastry either, unless it was a big mark down (read: expiring) I didn't know the difference between day old and fresh until I was in my late teens.

Does this baker really see day old pastry as how she wants her product to represent itself? Thoughts?

Aside-- I'm in a bind, so day old it will be.

2bizE

Re: Shower thought: Are Mormons accostomed to day old baked goods?

Post by 2bizE » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:56 pm

This is where a good Jewish bakery comes in handy.
~2bizE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:14 am

2bizE wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:56 pm
"But bishop, of course I had to purchase these delicious donuts on Sunday morning before church. You can't expect my favorite Jewish baker to work on the Sabbath!"

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:47 am

My shower thoughts have never included baked goods before. :lol:

On a related note, my son had to bring the sacrament bread a few weeks back and we didn't have any. So I went to the store on Sunday and bought a loaf of the cheapest white bread I could find and it got served to the ward members in part to remember the body of Christ.

I sat there silently grinning from ear to ear at the irony of breaking the sabbath in order for 250+ people to renew their baptismal covenants.

My son also gloried in this silliness.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:23 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:16 pm
Does this baker really see day old pastry as how she wants her product to represent itself? Thoughts?
I think it'd be silly to refuse a sale because you were aware the customer wasn't going to consume it that day. As a customer I would think it weird if a bakery insisted I had to eat the baked goods that day. As far as the general idea of day old baked goods in Mormondom, in my experience when something like donuts were provided they were not purchased from a stand-alone bakery but were purchased from the local grocery store in a plastic container that had a sell-by window of a few days.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:22 pm

Dravin wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:23 am
Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:16 pm
I think it'd be silly to refuse a sale because you were aware the customer wasn't going to consume it that day. As a customer I would think it weird if a bakery insisted I had to eat the baked goods that day. As far as the general idea of day old baked goods in Mormondom, in my experience when something like donuts were provided they were not purchased from a stand-alone bakery but were purchased from the local grocery store in a plastic container that had a sell-by window of a few days.
Ah, but to bake/deliver on Sunday for not-LDS people, and insist on Saturday pick for postmos? It's really just her being butthurt that I'm not participating in church the way I "should" be.

Either way, there's a huge difference between the Saturday morning doughnuts eaten Saturday morning vs. eaten Sunday evening, even from Wal-mart and no doubt made from weird stuff.

But if they're dried out I'll be sure to give her credit for them. :lol:

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:06 pm

Interesting question. I think when I was Mormon I didn't really eat baked goods on Sunday that I didn't make. My family is used to fresh baked goods made by me usually.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:53 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:22 pm
Ah, but to bake/deliver on Sunday for not-LDS people, and insist on Saturday pick for postmos? It's really just her being butthurt that I'm not participating in church the way I "should" be.
Is that the case? Was open on Sundays 2 months ago != is open on Sunday now (hours of operation do change), though maybe you meant to make it explicit in the OP that you know current hours of operation include Sunday hours. If she is lying about her hours of operation that's the weird thing. If she really is open on Sundays, lying about it, and discriminating what and when she'll offer services based on your religion why are you giving her business? That's the sort of person who deserves to close up shop.
Either way, there's a huge difference between the Saturday morning doughnuts eaten Saturday morning vs. eaten Sunday evening, even from Wal-mart and no doubt made from weird stuff.
Depends on the donuts, yeast donuts suffer more from time than cake donuts. Something like a clamshell of glazed sour cream cake donuts won't suffer nearly as much from sitting sealed on the counter overnight.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:48 pm

Dravin wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:53 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:22 pm
Is that the case? Was open on Sundays 2 months ago != is open on Sunday now (hours of operation do change), though maybe you meant to make it explicit in the OP that you know current hours of operation include Sunday hours. If she is lying about her hours of operation that's the weird thing. If she really is open on Sundays, lying about it, and discriminating what and when she'll offer services based on your religion why are you giving her business? That's the sort of person who deserves to close up shop.
Depends on the donuts, yeast donuts suffer more from time than cake donuts. Something like a clamshell of glazed sour cream cake donuts won't suffer nearly as much from sitting sealed on the counter overnight.
She has a store front and advertises her business on Facebook groups saying the store itself is closed Sundays and the bakers only work Sunday "to fill orders placed in advance" and Ive seen these posts. So maybe they changed that, since I noticed the ads a few weeks back, but it seems iffy. I called to order for pick up Sunday morning, she agreed to have it ready, quoted a price, I said ok, gave my name, everything's hunky dory I thought, and then she me texted awhile later and informed me Sunday pick up won't actually work as we discussed, it has to be Saturday because they don't work Sunday.

She's getting my business because my oven is broken and my go to place is booked. Not a lot of options here to choose from. I'll make it work, but it did make me wonder if Mormons don't even think about stuff like day old.

And yeah, not cake doughnuts I'm ordering, though I was referring to yeast doughnuts above in the example. For Sun I'm serving custom raised international pastries that I'd planned to bake myself and cannot. If my church keys still work it might be funny to go in and bake in the ovens that are not for baking and have everyone wonder why the church smells awesome but there's no food when they get to church....

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:58 am

Update: She must have thought about it, because she just asked if Id like her to bake them later this evening instead of this morning.

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:53 pm

Well, even day-old pastry makes mormon doctrine easier to endure. It's probably like manna - the lord kept it fresh and holy as a reward for not defiling the sabbath.
Corsair wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:14 am
2bizE wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:56 pm
"But bishop, of course I had to purchase these delicious donuts on Sunday morning before church. You can't expect my favorite Jewish baker to work on the Sabbath!"
I keep telling my husband Mormons need a Shabbos Goy.