Updates on Brother Jake?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Updates on Brother Jake?

Post by Hagoth » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:40 am

The header of the latest Infants on Thrones episode says "Our beloved “Brother Jake” suffered a sudden, serious cardiac event on November 28 and remains in intensive care."

Yikes. Updates?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Re: Updates on Brother Jake?

Post by Hagoth » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:43 am

Reply to self:

I found this on Reddit:

"Today was a break from many procedures. Lungs are improving as the pneumonia seems to be waning (as CT scans show). Heart is improving as well. He has been more responsive with some eye-tracking and hand-squeezing. Medical team is hopeful, but still not out of the woods."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:25 am

Thanks for the update!!! I love Brother Jake!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:25 pm

Bumping this to see if anyone has news.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:38 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:25 pm
Bumping this to see if anyone has news.
Last update from reddit was 4 days ago from his brother:
He's still in critical condition. We're not sure how much his brain was affected; time will tell. Right now we are just hoping and praying for his brain to light up.
I don't see anything new on FaceNeck, except rumors that he's now awake...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:06 pm

Verified user dgostlund posted this 8 hours ago:
"He is slowly but surely defying the odds in his recovery, but it is still a long uncertain road ahead."

Not really helpful, but it's at least not *bad* news.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:49 am

jfro18 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:06 pm
Verified user dgostlund posted this 8 hours ago:
"He is slowly but surely defying the odds in his recovery, but it is still a long uncertain road ahead."

Not really helpful, but it's at least not *bad* news.
Thanks for the update.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:03 pm

Brother Jake Recent Update 12/15

The following is an update from Jake’s brother: “Huge changes have happened in the last five days. Jake moved from the Neuro ICU to a "step-down" unit in cardiothoracic surgery. As one of his nurses put it, "You're not ICU material, and I mean that as a compliment." The changes he has undergone there have been remarkable. Jake is conscious, talking some (though it hurts due to the tracheotomy), and eating. His is able to drink and eat using his left hand. He is regaining movement with his right hand. He went from briefly chuckling on Monday night to laughing on Wednesday to joking on Saturday. Some quotes from Jake: [growling first words] "I'M FINE." "No gracias." "I am just so grateful." "I'm so f***ing bored." It is unclear what he remembers before the event. It is common in hospitals to have delirium when you come out of a situation like this. We are currently looking into rehab facilities, which is where he will go after he leaves the hospital to work on speech therapy, physical therapy, and occupational therapy. It will likely be after the holidays. We will be limiting visits until it is more comfortable for Jake to talk. Please keep sending your positive thoughts and prayers for his recovery. We have an opening on MealTrain for Monday 12/17 if anyone wants to help with that. Erica doesn't want me to say what a stone-cold badass she's been throughout all this, so I won't. I'll just say Jake is really lucky she married him.”
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Such great news to see -- that sounds like amazing progress and really great to hear that he seems pretty aware mentally. :)

Random

Post by Random » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:56 pm

SO glad to hear of his improvements.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:58 pm

Must have been that blessing he received, or all those exmo prayers. Or tithing. It works!
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:36 am

I prayed to Odin for his recovery. Prayer works! Go Jake!
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:25 pm

Brother Jake Update 12/19

From one of Jake’s brothers “Jake is moving to Shepherd Center in Atlanta for rehab!

He will fly via medical transport Friday, 12/21, and be there for 4-6 weeks. Shepherd (https://www.shepherd.org/) is one of the top neurological and spinal cord rehab facilities in the country, and we believe they will give Jake the best chance at recovery.

This is a big move, but Jake has been doing a lot of that lately. His left side is getting more coordinated, he's moving the right a little, and his speech is coming back. When asked recently if he was tired or bored, he said, "Those aren't mutually exclusive."

It is worth remembering that Jake still has significant neurological limitations, and only time will tell what he will be able to regain.

Thanks again for all your love.”

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:52 am

If any TBMs try to post anything about this being a sign of God's anger with Bro Jake, I will hunt them down and hammer them with all the studies and evidence that show their prayers and pretend priesthood powers are meaningless in significant medical outcomes.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Random

Post by Random » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:34 am

I honestly believe people's united prayers and strong desires make a difference. Whether a person calls it God, a connection between humans, the Universe, or something else, there seems to be a real power in united prayer/desire - so if someone claimed an LDS blessing is healing Jake so quickly, it could be pointed out that there were more prayers and "prayers" going out for him among the disaffected and exmo's than probably anywhere else.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:00 pm

Any more updates?

PK

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:22 am

Update from Brother Jake himself:
Hi all,

I’m so grateful for all the donations made. Erica showed the comments from everyone who donated and I’m very appreciative. Everything is going well at therapy so far—I’ve been making progress walking and I should be mobile in the next couple of months. I can now talk, use technology, groom, eat, and make snarky remarks to the nurses all by myself. Things are going fairly well, considering everything, and I am remembering more and more. I’m looking forward to heading home in one month to continue working on my recovery.

Thanks again for your generosity!

Jake

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:45 pm

I'm glad to hear things are looking up. Best wishes for your recovery.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:25 pm

I can't tell you how happy this makes me, even though I don't know personally know him.

The moment you can laugh at something you weaken its control over you. When I heard George Carlin's analysis of God I had an immediate change of perspective because it made me laugh first at something that was supposed to be beyond humor, and then at myself. I'm sure Jake has done that for thousands.

Best wishes Jake!

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:42 pm

What a wonderful update.