The Flawed Logic of Governments and Religion

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
RubinHighlander

The Flawed Logic of Governments and Religion

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:07 am

The Australian Government wants messaging apps to unencrypted messages and hand them over. This would require all users to give up their public and private encryption keys to those platforms, rendering privacy useless.
“Well the laws of Australia prevail in Australia, I can assure you of that. The laws of mathematics are very commendable, but the only law that applies in Australia is the law of Australia," --Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/malc ... 42946.html

It's like your home security company telling you the government requires them to give copies of your house keys, security camera feeds and alarm codes and passwords to the city because they may need access at some point in the future. Maybe there's a better metaphor here but the point I'm trying to make is that the idiots we elect often overstep their bounds of actual knowledge of how things actually work, like encryption, being gay or cannabis. This article today reminded me of how an uninformed old man like Oaks can throw out ignorant statements like he does, claiming magical knowledge on the topic from the beyond that trumps science and research.

"Our knowledge of God’s revealed plan of salvation requires us to oppose many of the current social and legal pressures to retreat from traditional marriage or to make changes that confuse or alter gender or homogenize the differences between men and women. We know that the relationships, identities, and functions of men and women are essential to accomplish God’s great plan." --Dallin H. Oaks
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

IT_Veteran

Re: The Flawed Logic of Governments and Religion

Post by IT_Veteran » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:55 am

I think the worst part is that people's biases prevent them from even seeing the similarity. The mostly conservative population of Utah would likely (rightly!) look at the statement from Australia and see it as a massive overreach and violation of privacy.

The same people would look at what Oaks said and nod along while cursing those damned intellectuals, always trying to turn America into a communist dictatorship in the name of global warming.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:40 pm

People don't generally judge by drawing conclusions from facts; they are swayed by charismatic and narcissistic leaders, and propaganda in all its forms.

I once read a quote from a man who said this:
"The typical American adult believes he is well informed when he sees a headline in a newspaper or magazine, or watches a TV program that discusses a topic. The adult is unaware that other sources of information exist, that it takes effort to learn true facts and draw conclusions from factual information that many, if not all news sources, intentionally omit, misrepresent, or manufacture. The average American adult reads less than a single book the rest of their life after they leave school, and consider themselves 'in the know' if they can exchange words about what politicians should or shouldn't do while interacting with others.

Oh, for the ignorant to believe they are informed! Oh, for the fools who consider themselves capable of informed consent when all that is required to persuade them to accept a conclusion is a sensationalized rendition! Like lambs lead carefully to the slaughter they are controlled and lead to their own doom. We are such easy prey."

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:50 pm

It truly frightens me to be told that average adults read less than one book - ever again. I'm off to fact check that now...

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:53 pm

Okay, so I feel a little better now. While not good numbers in terms of reassurance, they're much better than never.
The findings on reading comport with some other recent data on American reading trends. Numbers from the National Endowment for the Arts show that the share of adults reading at least one novel, short story, poem or play in the prior year fell from 57 percent in 1982 to 43 percent in 2015.
Still sad that less than half read a book in a given year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 4ee7280d9e

Advocate

Post by Advocate » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:58 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:40 pm
People don't generally judge by drawing conclusions from facts; they are swayed by charismatic and narcissistic leaders, and propaganda in all its forms.

I once read a quote from a man who said this:
"The typical American adult believes he is well informed when he sees a headline in a newspaper or magazine, or watches a TV program that discusses a topic. The adult is unaware that other sources of information exist, that it takes effort to learn true facts and draw conclusions from factual information that many, if not all news sources, intentionally omit, misrepresent, or manufacture. The average American adult reads less than a single book the rest of their life after they leave school, and consider themselves 'in the know' if they can exchange words about what politicians should or shouldn't do while interacting with others.

Oh, for the ignorant to believe they are informed! Oh, for the fools who consider themselves capable of informed consent when all that is required to persuade them to accept a conclusion is a sensationalized rendition! Like lambs lead carefully to the slaughter they are controlled and lead to their own doom. We are such easy prey."
That's a great quote. It reminds me of various general conference talks that encourage members to look to church resources to learn about church questions because who knows about the church better than the church?! As if hearing one side of a story is enough to make someone informed. I like our judicial system because both sides get to tell their side of the story. People would do well to listen to opposing viewpoints and then figure out if they agree or disagree, and why.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:37 pm

IT_Veteran wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:53 pm
Okay, so I feel a little better now. While not good numbers in terms of reassurance, they're much better than never.
The findings on reading comport with some other recent data on American reading trends. Numbers from the National Endowment for the Arts show that the share of adults reading at least one novel, short story, poem or play in the prior year fell from 57 percent in 1982 to 43 percent in 2015.
Still sad that less than half read a book in a given year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 4ee7280d9e
Its a good fact check. Thanks. Its interesting what they are saying as well...."short story, poem or play". If a person reads a 4 line poem, does that count?

CHILLING!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:05 pm

Two words: Fox News.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."