Let's play a game: Fantasy First Presidency League

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Red Ryder

Let's play a game: Fantasy First Presidency League

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:00 pm

Let's talk about the structure of the Apostles and First Presidency and come up with a fantasy First Presidency league.

It seems the structure pattern goes like this:

New Apostles (1 to 3 years old) get paraded around just long enough to be liked by the members and learn the basics of apostleness.

Current apostles in this group would be:

Ronald A. Rasband. (2015)
Stevenson (2015)
Renlund (2015)
Gong. (2018)
Soares (2018)

Junior apostles (4 to 14 years) sit back row making their rounds to stake conferences, giving mediocre GC talks, while quietly aligning themselves with senior apostles and making a name for themselves.

Quentin L. Cook. (2007)
D. Todd Christofferson. (2008)
Neil L. Andersen. (2009)

Senior Apostles (15 years +) are old hat household names who have put in enough time, and if lucky might serve in a first presidency if their alignments pay off. They hope to leave a long lasting legacy and living enough to become the Prophet.

Russell Ballard. (1984)
Jeffrey R. Holland. (1994)
Dieter F. Uchtdorf. (2004)
David A. Bednar. (2004)

First Presidency consists of:

Nelson (1984)
Oaks (1984)
Eyring (1995)

Here's the rules for Round 1:
Assume Nelson dies and Wendy does not become the prophetess. Oaks is next in line. List your new FP and his two counselors. List why you think the 2 counselors are picked by the new prophet and what they have done to deserve it. Feel free to pick a new apostle (not yet called) from any quorum and insert as needed to fill vacancy if you don't like an existing apostle.

Round 2: Oaks dies, Ballard becomes Prophet. Pick his 2 counselors, list why and what they have done to deserve it. Etc etc.

Round 3: assume Holland and Eyring die and Uchtdorf is Prophet. Pick 2 counselors and List why and what they have done to deserve it. Etc etc.

Round 4: assume Bednar becomes prophet, etc.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Red Ryder

Re: Let's play a game: Fantasy First Presidency League

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:12 pm

Here's my picks!

Round 1:

FP = Oaks, Holland, and Bednar.

Oaks picks Holland from his BYU President alumni pool as a reward for his years in service knowing he will most likely die before becoming the Prophet. Bednar is picked to be Oaks enforcer and first hand man due to his rigidness, complete obedience, and his ability to get angry at petty stuff.

Round 2:

FP = Ballard, Uchtdorf, and Gong.

Ballard picks Uchtdorf knowing the church needs a feel good guy to lift the spirits of the membership after the Nelson and Oaks years when membership dwindles. Gong because he's a smart guy who taught them through power point presentations and wants an international feel to the church. Both give a little flavor to the church.

Round 3:

FP = Uchtdorf, Christopherson, and Soares

Uchtdorf picks these gentlemen because the church reverses it's stance on LGBTQ members and Christopherson becomes an ambassador through his brother. Soares remains in order to continue the international flavor and Uchtdorf likes the way he pronounces Hay-Zeus Chree-sto!

Round 4:

FP = Bednar, the ghost of Boyd K Packer, and the ghost of Oaks.

Bednar picks these ghosts of Mormon past as he believes they influence the church for the better and because he also believes he doesn't need real life breathing counselors who will stand before he does. He follows the lead of Nelson and changes the name of the church to The Church of David Bednar otherwise known as Bednarism after he declares himself Lord and Savior of the Universe.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:26 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:12 pm
Here's my picks!

Round 1:
That sounds spot on provided they are all alive and healthy.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:52 am

Before looking at anyone else’s guesses, I came up with:
Round 1: Oaks, Holland, Bednar

I think Bednar gets in soon. Also, does Bednar remind anyone else of Monk? You know, the exacting, microphobe, tv character. I bet when the grandkids visit and move the small figurines by the living room lamp, he probably goes into meltdown mode. I bet he has even witnessed to his own children and grandchildren that he is living scripture and to heed his words unto salvation.
~2bizE

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:18 pm

2bizE wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:52 am
Before looking at anyone else’s guesses, I came up with:
Round 1: Oaks, Holland, Bednar

I think Bednar gets in soon. Also, does Bednar remind anyone else of Monk? You know, the exacting, microphobe, tv character. I bet when the grandkids visit and move the small figurines by the living room lamp, he probably goes into meltdown mode. I bet he has even witnessed to his own children and grandchildren that he is living scripture and to heed his words unto salvation.
I'm betting the grandkids don't spend much time with ol' Grandad Bednar.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:55 pm

I was thinking since this is fantasy that we could choose physical attributes for the next prophet from all the candidates.

So Bednar's hair, Holland's jowells, and Tad Callister's mustache shadow.

Brent

Post by Brent » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:33 pm

Not good with rules so here goes...
Oaks ascends, brings Glenn Beck in as new apostle and first counselor, announces that the Mormon thing doesn't offend Jesus all that much BUT the wackadoodle succession policy really thrills Satan and now Counselor Numero Uno will take the reigns, Oaks then institutes blood oaths return to the temple ordinances allowing Courts of Love to ask apostate members to bring a 10 x10 plastic sheet and a sharp bowie knife to their counsel, Bednar, in a rage calls Beck out as apostate and gives him a Colombian Necktie, Uchtdorf issues a fatwa against Oaks who then alligns himself with Denver Snuffer, together they "complete the restoration" by ordaining Julianna Hough as a high priest and new first counselor, Hough is taken as Oaks "spiritual wife" Oaks doesn't survive the wedding night and the new President of the Church is now Dancing with the stars!

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:23 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:55 pm
+ Ballard's lipstick.

Brent wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:33 pm
Not good with rules so here goes...
Oaks ascends, brings Glenn Beck in as new apostle and first counselor, announces that the Mormon thing doesn't offend Jesus all that much BUT the wackadoodle succession policy really thrills Satan and now Counselor Numero Uno will take the reigns, Oaks then institutes blood oaths return to the temple ordinances allowing Courts of Love to ask apostate members to bring a 10 x10 plastic sheet and a sharp bowie knife to their counsel, Bednar, in a rage calls Beck out as apostate and gives him a Colombian Necktie, Uchtdorf issues a fatwa against Oaks who then alligns himself with Denver Snuffer, together they "complete the restoration" by ordaining Julianna Hough as a high priest and new first counselor, Hough is taken as Oaks "spiritual wife" Oaks doesn't survive the wedding night and the new President of the Church is now Dancing with the stars!
I'm completely lost/confused, but that was brilliant!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:10 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Round 1:

Oaks picks Holland from his BYU President alumni pool as a reward for his years in service knowing he will most likely die before becoming the Prophet. Bednar is picked to be Oaks enforcer and first hand man due to his rigidness, complete obedience, and his ability to get angry at petty stuff.
Here's why I don't think Bednar will be in the 1st Pres until he's the president. My reasoning is very speculative. It's probably nuts, but here goes. When RMN became president, I thought the choice of Eyring as 2nd counselor was a little weird. He's older and dealing with health problems both with himself and his wife. I can't believe he is able to be very engaged. I think RMN initially wanted Bednar as his 2nd counselor. That would give a 1P that are ideologically similar. However, I don't think RMN had the unanimous support for such a group. Eyring was picked as a compromise. He is acceptable to the more moderate members of the Q15 but won't be able to hinder RMN and DHO.

For that reason, I think DHO may be forced to bring in someone more moderate in order to get support. I think he goes with Ballard and Holland. Ballard will only use lipstick on GC weekends.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:41 pm

I’d probably stay active if this were the first presidency:

Brene Brown, Gina Colvin and Lindsay Hansen Park

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:13 pm

Anon70 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:41 pm
I’d probably stay active if this were the first presidency:

Brene Brown, Gina Colvin and Lindsay Hansen Park
Id tithe to that.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:36 pm

Lol. I realized my rules were for the LDS version of Fantasy First Presidency League.

I'd sustain Brene Brown with those two counselors any day!

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:17 pm

Red Ryder wrote:

FP = Bednar, the ghost of Boyd K Packer, and the ghost of Oaks.

Bednar picks these ghosts of Mormon past as he believes they influence the church for the better and because he also believes he doesn't need real life breathing counselors who will stand before he does. He follows the lead of Nelson and changes the name of the church to The Church of David Bednar otherwise known as Bednarism after he declares himself Lord and Savior of the Universe.
:lol: :lol:
I can just hear him giving a gas-lighty talk about it's totally the Lord's way to have His finest spirits come back to serve His most noble living servant, even David Bednar.
moksha wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:26 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Here's my picks!

Round 1:
That sounds spot on provided they are all alive and healthy.
I like this too, but I wonder if instead of Holland he will use Cook. The current FP seem to like Cook. The had him do the Face 2 face in Nauvoo and they let him announce the details of the 2 hour block.
FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:55 pm
I was thinking since this is fantasy that we could choose physical attributes for the next prophet from all the candidates.

David does have nice hair...
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound