Ministering Secretary

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

Ministering Secretary

Post by Linked » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:34 am

My EQP asked me if I would accept a calling to be the Elder's Quorum Ministering Secretary at the Ward Christmas Dinner last night. He described the calling as "You and I would just go visit people to talk about ministering." I held in a laugh at how awful that sounded and asked if I could get back to him. Then went and enjoyed a really nice Christmas Party.

Now I just have to find the right words to put in my text message for "no"...
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Anon70

Re: Ministering Secretary

Post by Anon70 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:35 pm

It’s failing spectacularly in our ward. Our RS and EQP are constantly sending out pleas to “don’t forget to minister!” And they sent someone to our door last week to talk to us about it-i wonder if that was their calling!? We just smiled and nodded. Even my TBM DH. He’s not doing his either.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:46 am

Secretary usually means that you get to be the one to call and harass everyone each month on reporting who they visited.

Just say no.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

sparky

Post by sparky » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:38 am

Anon70 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:35 pm
It’s failing spectacularly in our ward. Our RS and EQP are constantly sending out pleas to “don’t forget to minister!” And they sent someone to our door last week to talk to us about it-i wonder if that was their calling!? We just smiled and nodded. Even my TBM DH. He’s not doing his either.
Same for our ward, nothing has changed from how home teaching was, except instead of being hounded to report monthly we are hounded to report quarterly. Did they really think that doing a "find and replace" of "home teaching" for "ministering" would have any material affect on how people act?

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:28 am

If the goal was really to eventually shut down the program by giving more freedom to the individual per the plan of salvation's code of agency it is working perfectly! Less accountability tracking is the sure sign of non-conformance.

Brent

Post by Brent » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:35 am

"Theres just so much going on right now i could not possibly do the job as well as it needs to be done."

Linked

Post by Linked » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:45 pm

I am not really sure how ministering is going in my ward. I stopped home teaching a couple years ago, and my home teachers stopped coming over around the same time. I still don't make visits and am not visited.

I texted the EQP, who I consider a friend, that I appreciate him considering me for the calling but I am going to decline.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut