How to Reconcile LDS Doubts

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:40 pm

I think there are good things to find in the LDS Church. One of the best things in my estimation are the members. There are so many kind members who continually go out of their way to help those in need.

Those other so-called "churches" might have inspiring sermons and kind members, but what is their stand when it comes to Jell-O salads? That could be an important question if you are prone to having an allergic reaction to peas and carrots. Can those groups make fry sauce boasts like ethnic Mormons?

Much of the rest depends on your ability to compartmentalize information or to suspend your disbelief by seeing truth claims as being allegorical in nature.

As to any unpleasantness and untruthfulness on the part of some Church leaders, reactions may vary per each member's tolerance for that sort of thing.

Your thoughts?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Re: How to Reconcile LDS Doubts

Post by moksha » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:04 pm

Khan D. Kane wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:40 pm
Can those groups make fry sauce boasts like ethnic Mormons?
Those French and Italians make claims with Remoulade and Aioli by adding curry, garlic, and a splash of olive oil or those Alabamians might do a name switch to Comeback sauce, but do they have the fullness of the truth? Doubt those sauces before you doubt Fry Sauce™.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:02 pm

moksha wrote:
I think there are good things to find in the LDS Church.
Yes, the exits are clearly marked!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:31 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:02 pm
moksha wrote:
I think there are good things to find in the LDS Church.
Yes, the exits are clearly marked!
:D :D
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:56 pm

I don’t have a calling. I don’t pay tithing. Don’t believe any of it. But still I stay engaged with the tribe because they are my people and it is still a good group of friends.

I don’t really care what the leaders say. It does take a bit of patience when conversing with a believer but that is OK

I just came to the conclusion some time ago that the average member tends to be a kind soul. They are not all the gay hating, conservative warmongers they get portrayed as to often.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:07 pm

Sure, there are good things about the LDS church There are quite a few wonderful caring Mormons. Even if they don't call themselves Mormons any more because so and so in a suit says it's a wrong thing to do. The Devil likes it, but God does not. So the man in the suit says.

But this church is supposed to be the one and only true church. Hmmm. Pro-lem-os there. It's, uh....not...true. (sigh)

It "is" a lot of things- but true is not one of them.

It is "not"- a lot more things, one of which is the fastest growing. Good grief, how long were we fed that lie? Fifty years ago there were just over a billion Muslims in the world. Now there are well over a billion. That is growth. Are there good things in the Muslim faith? Yes. Their version of the golden rule being the top of the list. If we all did that one thing, as we know, we would not need any religion at all.

So there is the rub. Is the Mormon church really living the golden rule if it is based on so many untruths?

A person much wiser than myself has said, "In this church (meaning the LDS) we don't have to believe anything that is not true.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:44 pm

The Holy Ghost will let you know, should you follow the directions in the scriptures.

I believe Holy Ghost will guide different people to the Church he wants them in.

There can be only one 144,000 in the Elect, I suspect this will be a broad cross section across many religions: Especially after Messiah consolidates all religions as part of his mission on Earth next time around.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:47 pm

Azrael wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:44 pm
The Holy Ghost will let you know, should you follow the directions in the scriptures.

I believe Holy Ghost will guide different people to the Church he wants them in.
I hope so. I suspect that my bishop will not appreciate some of the things I have felt inspired to do.

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:49 pm

Corsair wrote:
Azrael wrote:

I hope so. I suspect that my bishop will not appreciate some of the things I have felt inspired to do.
If he is a good Bishop he will know to make sure you understand the difference between ‘inspired’ and ‘compelled’.

There is opposition in all things, one comes from Father, one from The Adversary.

It is up to our Spirit to decide which we choose, Free Agency is a truest principle and promise.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:08 pm

Azrael wrote:
Just want to make sure I know which scriptures we're talking about here?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

George Washington

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:10 pm

Palerider wrote:
Azrael wrote:

Scriptures are most often the writings and accounts of the teachings of Prophets.

Which religion do you subscribe to?

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:13 pm

Azrael wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:10 pm
Palerider wrote:
Azrael wrote:

Scriptures are most often the writings and accounts of the teachings of Prophets.

Was Joseph Smith a prophet?

George Washington

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:21 pm

Palerider wrote:
Azrael wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:10 pm
Palerider wrote:

Was Joseph Smith a prophet?
I believe he was a fallen prophet; tasked with restoring The Priesthood and building the Temples of God which the LDS have succeeded in. I suspect he fell to temptation and instituted plural marriage without Command and was removed because of it.

I believe if the Holy Ghost doesn’t want you in the LDS Church, then I believe he won’t guide you to it. If you should pray to know if Joseph Smith was indeed a Prophet of God, the Holy Ghost will manifest that truth if it His will for you.

There are many religions to follow. The Church of Man who claim to be Christians, but deny the Holy Ghost is not a safe place to be in the Book of Life in my opinion.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:25 pm

Ya the HG is the OG. He’s so dope he confirms gods will and leads the peepz back to the HF, bro!

Jesus only wants you for a sun beam!

Fallen Prophet, ha ha ha ha ha. Like he couldn’t keep his weenier in his pants?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:29 pm

144,000 get out alive.

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:31 pm

Red Ryder wrote:Ya the HG is the OG. He’s so dope he confirms gods will and leads the peepz back to the HF, bro!

Jesus only wants you for a sun beam!

Fallen Prophet, ha ha ha ha ha. Like he couldn’t keep his weenier in his pants?
He prophesied himself that if he should fall away from his calling that he’d be removed and another called to serve as Prophet of the LDS.

https://www.biblestudytools.com/passage ... w+12:31-33

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:51 pm

Azrael wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:21 pm

I believe he was a fallen prophet;
I'm not familiar with you Azrael but welcome to NOM. Maybe you have introduced yourself elsewhere and I have missed it.

I'm just wondering if you think it might be possible that Joseph was never a prophet in the first place? In your mind, is that even a remote possibility?

George Washington

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:57 pm

Palerider wrote:
Azrael wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:21 pm

I believe he was a fallen prophet;
I'm not familiar with you Azrael but welcome to NOM. Maybe you have introduced yourself elsewhere and I have missed it.

I'm just wondering if you think it might be possible that Joseph was never a prophet in the first place? In your mind, is that even a remote possibility?
It’s not a possibility to me personally because the Holy Ghost did strongly testify of this truth.

I can not deny this testimony. My Eternal Progression depends on it.

I just found this forum today.

Last edited by Azrael on Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:58 pm

Azrael wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:29 pm
144,000 get out alive.
What happens to the other billions?

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:59 pm

Anon70 wrote:
Azrael wrote: