The Crying Game--New RFM Podcast

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
consiglieri

The Crying Game--New RFM Podcast

Post by consiglieri » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:43 am

A two-part free-for-all with Bill Reel and RFM dissecting Henry J. Eyring's BYU-I talk from September was released yesterday.

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... me-part-1/

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... me-part-2/

The only thing you need to ask yourself is, "Am I true?"

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Corsair

Re: The Crying Game--New RFM Podcast

Post by Corsair » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:16 pm

This should be fun. Thanks Consiglieri!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:16 pm

Can't wait.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:23 pm

I am not quite done, but I have some thoughts about why HJE would introduce students to the BoA problems. I think he knows that virtually all people in that room are going to find out about the problems anyway. He also knows that they will realize that there is no answer. He also knows that half or more are going to leave the church to one extent or another in the course of their lives. So, why not try to get some of the rest inoculated? It probably can't hurt and it might keep a few of them stay active longer than they otherwise would be.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:22 pm

Haven't listened to the breakdown yet but did listen to Eyring's talk.

THAT is some seriously damaging, incorrect and misguided doctrine. Basically he's saying, "If you find yourself doubting anything about the church, you need to stop thinking about it and start looking for something...ANYTHING you can find that might be wrong in your own life and work on fixing what's wrong with you."

As long as any doubts return, just keep looking for more stuff that's wrong with you.

Henry B. has really done a number on his own kids, hasn't he. This guy is sick and he doesn't even know it.

You know I go down to my barn and clean my horse stalls quite regularly. I promise you I can recognize $h!+ when I see it and there's a ton of it here.

An individual can be a serial killer in prison or Mother Theresa and it won't make one iota's bit of difference as to the truthfulness of church claims or historicity of the BoA or BoM.

This talk makes me angry, frustrated and sad all at once. I feel terribly sorry for those kids that are sitting there being guilt tripped, brainwashed and propagandized at their own spiritual, emotional and monetary expense.

"Let's all go to BYUI and bend over and grab our ankles for a good time!!! Whatdaya' say!?!?"
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:42 pm

Palerider wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:22 pm
"Let's all go to BYUI and bend over and grab our ankles for a good time!!! Whatdaya' say!?!?"
Thank you sir, may I have another?!

Should be Henry G. Eyring. The G is for Gaslighting.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:25 pm

The fact that Pres. iRing tells college students to run away from facts that might make them think critically about their assumptions is awful enough. A close second it his advice about what to do if you are tempted to doubt anything. He says you should first pray for remorse. He wants you to ask God to give you feelings of guilt about thinking for yourself. Zoiks!

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:20 pm

Remorse for trying to find out what is really true and what is really false. Sometimes the blindness astounds me.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK