What are you drinking right now?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
IT_Veteran

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by IT_Veteran » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:31 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:04 pm
IT_Veteran wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:18 pm
https://imgur.com/a/fuOjFMj

This was last nights adventure!
Looks like you need some real tasting glasses.
I definitely do, but we're in the process of moving right now for a new job and don't want to add more to the list.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:09 pm

IT_Veteran wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:31 pm
wtfluff wrote:
IT_Veteran wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:18 pm
https://imgur.com/a/fuOjFMj

This was last nights adventure!
I definitely do, but we're in the process of moving right now for a new job and don't want to add more to the list.
:mrgreen:

Though I can't just smile at your reply without saying: A little box of Glencairns would be easier to move than all those bottles of tasty ethanol you have there. (Unless of course you're going to drink it all before the move. :o )
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:51 pm

I got dressed up and went to a Christmas party Saturday night. I had a lot of fun. When people say things like “you don’t drink” or “she doesn’t drink” I alway jokingly add yet. Well during the night I was handed two shots and drank them and then I had some sangria punch, if that’s how you spell it. I didn’t feel more relaxed and I actually felt tired haha... but that could have been the time. Maybe I should drink more next time? Or maybe it’s over rated? I passed on flip cup, let’s ease into this haha. I am afraid what may come out of my mouth if I drink too much.

I had coffee last week from a bottle. Thought the caffeine may help with exams... it was gross and I’m not looking for sugary drinks to add to my diet.

So pass on coffee but this drinking thing is not off the table.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:23 am

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:09 pm
IT_Veteran wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:31 pm
wtfluff wrote:

:mrgreen:

Though I can't just smile at your reply without saying: A little box of Glencairns would be easier to move than all those bottles of tasty ethanol you have there. (Unless of course you're going to drink it all before the move. :o )
Oh, they definitely would be easier to move than the bottles. And no, I won't be drinking all of that before the move. Wait - maybe. There's a month left and I still have the holidays coming up...

Anyway, the difference is that I *already* have the bottles, don't plan to add more before the move.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:36 am

Lithium Sunset wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:51 pm
I didn’t feel more relaxed and I actually felt tired haha... but that could have been the time.
If you are already tired then some light drinking will tend to bring out your tiredness in the same way that relaxing on a nice comfy couch in a warm room when you are tired will make you sleepy. The crazy energy generally associated being drunk in common media requires some sort of emotional fuel, you get a group of friends being silly together and the booze lowers inhibitions and they get sillier. While it is biologically a depressant think of it as an amplifier.
Or maybe it’s over rated?
Common perceptions of it are over-rated. The alcohol commercials, the Sitcom portrayal of a night out drinking, the fear mongering that it'll make you microwave your baby, friends telling stories about the epic night they got loaded and had an adventure, they all tend to overplay what alcohol actually does to most people. Now, I enjoy some alcohol, I don't find it overrated in the sense that it is a waste but I'm more inclined to relax with a drink enjoy the sensual experience of the beverage itself and enjoy the actual effect of the alcohol as a relaxer and social lubricant while watching a movie, playing a game (either video or with friends). One thing I love is just sipping some whiskey and playing some nerdy game like Magic: The Gathering.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:47 pm

Four Roses single barrel, quickly followed by some High West bourbon.

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:49 am

Dravin wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:36 am
Lithium Sunset wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:51 pm
I didn’t feel more relaxed and I actually felt tired haha... but that could have been the time.
If you are already tired then some light drinking will tend to bring out your tiredness in the same way that relaxing on a nice comfy couch in a warm room when you are tired will make you sleepy. The crazy energy generally associated being drunk in common media requires some sort of emotional fuel, you get a group of friends being silly together and the booze lowers inhibitions and they get sillier. While it is biologically a depressant think of it as an amplifier.
Or maybe it’s over rated?
Common perceptions of it are over-rated. The alcohol commercials, the Sitcom portrayal of a night out drinking, the fear mongering that it'll make you microwave your baby, friends telling stories about the epic night they got loaded and had an adventure, they all tend to overplay what alcohol actually does to most people. Now, I enjoy some alcohol, I don't find it overrated in the sense that it is a waste but I'm more inclined to relax with a drink enjoy the sensual experience of the beverage itself and enjoy the actual effect of the alcohol as a relaxer and social lubricant while watching a movie, playing a game (either video or with friends). One thing I love is just sipping some whiskey and playing some nerdy game like Magic: The Gathering.
Thanks! Good to know.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:25 pm

A few friends, A bottle or two of wine, and a game of Cards Against Humanity can make for a VERY fun evening.

Talking from experience here...
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:51 pm

Eggnog latte - surprisingly delicious.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:53 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:25 pm
A few friends, A bottle or two of wine, and a game of Cards Against Humanity can make for a VERY fun evening.

Talking from experience here...
Indeed. A little booze takes Cards Against Humanity to a new level.

BringEmYoung

Post by BringEmYoung » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:11 pm

New favorite from the liquor Advent calendar: Disaronno amaretto liqueur
Least favorite: Redneck Riviera Whiskey LOL

Will be making some Amaretto mixed drinks in the very near future!

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:01 pm

BringEmYoung wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:11 pm
If what amounts to a hazelnut cousin of Disaronno sounds good keep an eye out for Frangelico.

BringEmYoung

Post by BringEmYoung » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Dravin wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:01 pm
BringEmYoung wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:11 pm
If what amounts to a hazelnut cousin of Disaronno sounds good keep an eye out for Frangelico.
Yes, very. Thanks for the tip.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:03 am

Green tea with a little honey.

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:16 am

I usually don't like cocktails, but the other night I tried the Christmas special at a favourite watering hole...... real eggnog. Eggnog (probably from a carton) but with spiced rum on ice with a light dusting of cinnamon on the rim. Sweet to a fault but brought out happy memories with a twist. Merry Christmas
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:45 pm

No Tof wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:16 am
I usually don't like cocktails, but the other night I tried the Christmas special at a favourite watering hole...... real eggnog. Eggnog (probably from a carton) but with spiced rum on ice with a light dusting of cinnamon on the rim. Sweet to a fault but brought out happy memories with a twist. Merry Christmas
Rum (unspiced) has become my go-to for spiking eggnog from a carton. If you really want to elevate your eggnog though light sprinkling of freshly grated nutmeg makes a big difference. It's gotta be freshly grated though, the preground stuff has lost some of the oomph that makes it pop against the stuff already in the eggnog.

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:31 pm

Little bit of Bulleit Rye for me tonight.

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:59 pm

And onto the Basil Hayden’s Dark Rye now.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:53 am

We went to DW's work Christmas party over the weekend. Part of it included giving out a bunch of mini alcohol samples (about 2 shots worth each) We got half a dozen different bottles. They included a couple different Vodkas, An Irish Whisky, Bourbon, and a couple specialty liqueurs. So needles to say we will be having fun with those over the holiday...
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Random

Post by Random » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:06 pm

I should have come on this thread a couple of nights ago. I was drinking Absente (French for absinthe, apparently) mixed with apple cider (the sparkly kind that is sold as a substitute for champagne this time of year). I would not have thought the two flavors compatible, but I liked it.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK