The long rumored temple changes are happening now?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
jfro18

The long rumored temple changes are happening now?

Post by jfro18 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:59 pm

Saw a post on reddit that the long rumored changes to the temple are happening possibly tomorrow (and were "tested" in Nauvoo today)...

Will be curious to see what they are. Bill Reel had posted before GC that it was effectively shortening them so more people will be willing to go.

The image below is where the news came from (he apparently deleted it soon after posting it) -- gotta love that it's considered revelation to rollout something that's been rumored for a long time and has no actual revelation to it (prove me wrong, Nelson!).

jfro18

Re: The long rumored temple changes are happening now?

Post by jfro18 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:20 pm

Also from reddit:

"I suspected the big change would be nothing bug at all and I was right. Starting tomorrow, the sessions will be 20 minutes shorter and a new sessions will start every 30 minutes (instead of ever 45 minutes I think). There won’t be any announcement it will just happen. So, anyone who shows up tomorrow for a New Year’s “I’m going to the temple more often” resolution, will be the first to see new Adam and Eve. It was confirmed by my parents who are temple in charge people."

If true... lol.

Brent

Post by Brent » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:40 pm

They knew you would talk so they lied for the Lord!

GAY MARRIAGE IN THE TEMPLE! Just no kissing over the alter.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:33 pm

Oh this is great. Let’s speculate on the changes for fun. How do you cut out 20 minutes?
1) cut out penalties of slitting throats. Already done.
2) cut out all the creation fluff?
3) remove the prayer at the veil?
4) skip middle stuff and go right to veil?
5) offer a speed line like at Disney. If you know your stuff and pay an extra tithing, you can speed through and go directly to the veil.
~2bizE

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:52 am

Is this the first time that rumours have been coming true?

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:14 am

So what got cut to be able to reduce the session time by 20 minutes? Is there that much fluff in the video script that they can take out that much time?

The next question is why cut the time down? From what I have gathered, temple overcrowding isn't a problem that the church is facing these days. At least in my area, they have been scaling back temple operation hours and shutting down for whole days each week. No one has really complained.

Is it some perceived notion of temple attendance that is not backed by reality (we can't let the brethren know the real attendance), is temple use really that high in certain areas, or is this some underhanded way to reduce operating costs? Move people though faster so they can shutdown earlier?

How long before New Name Noah posts the new videos on Youtube?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:49 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:14 am
How long before New Name Noah posts the new videos on Youtube?
He has noted that plans are now in the works for this to happen. Brother Norton has been recruiting women to assist in getting the new women's initiatory where many of the changes are rumored to be.

As many of you know, I still hold a current temple recommend. I will probably make my own foray into the new movie within a week or two. It would please my dear wife and I can easily get a name to take through. I will return and report once this takes place.

While I am no prophet, I nevertheless prophecy that the changes will be underwhelming, trivial, and "too little, too late". Tithing and Word of Wisdom ain't changing at this point.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:32 am

Easy - put all the funny clothing on before you go in and sit down. Without all the dressing and struggling with the switching around of that apron, robe, chef's hat and string, I'd estimate you'd chop 20 minutes off the session. The sisters would also appreciate getting rid of that veil over their faces; it a pain and it makes them feel like suppressed Muslim women.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

felixfabulous

Post by felixfabulous » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:50 am

I heard these rumors on Monday and have a friend going today to check it out. At this point, I do not think the changes are being rolled out today as spelled out in the rumor or yesterday in Nauvoo (that seems really suspicious that the Nauvoo temple would have been open yesterday, all the other temples were closed and it was closed last year on January 1). I think we would have some solid confirmation of the changes at this point in the day and I have not been able to find anything that sounds reliable or detailed so far.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:56 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:32 am
The sisters would also appreciate getting rid of that veil over their faces; it a pain and it makes them feel like suppressed Muslim women.
That's actually part of the rumor mill... :o
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:24 am

The Mo Fems are saying a ton of sexism has been removed or downgraded. Allegedly women are not asked to veil or covenant to their husband and Eve has a larger speaking part.

I think this is it for me though, the temple and the LDS gender issues hurt me. Set my daughters up to be abused and not believed by church or extended family.

Now, just kidding! We finally got it right now!

It's all BS and I feel like I'm strangling from the gaslighting. I need to resign.

It's it better to inform my bishop or sit in the QM queue indefinitely?

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:14 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:24 am
https://quitmormon.com/

Super easy and painless. Takes less than 5 minutes to fill out the paperwork online and a week or two for SLC to process it. Additionally, this way you can build yourself a number of legal protections in to the process to keep the locals from harassing you.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:28 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:14 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:24 am
https://quitmormon.com/

Super easy and painless. Takes less than 5 minutes to fill out the paperwork online and a week or two for SLC to process it. Additionally, this way you can build yourself a number of legal protections in to the process to keep the locals from harassing you.
Yes, but they have a queue of 9000 or some odd names and have to be reviewed by Kirton McConkie before the church will honor them. QM requires you to upload your ID now as well.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:33 pm

This is being shared elsewhere:
"This is what I've seen so far:

The Initiatory

- No change to the male initiatory.
- We are awaiting any report from a female initiatory.

The Endowment

1. It begins with a short, two minute message from the First Presidency, explaining that at times we update the endowment, that this came by revelation, and that members should not talk about any aspect of it, or even that there have been changes to the endowment. This explanation is not part of the Endowment, per se, but will play for a temporary period to explain.

2. The movie is new, consisting of little live action at all, mostly still pictures, even of Adam and Eve, with voice-over narration. There is new music, beautiful and appropriate.

3. Much of the repetitive "return and report" was eliminated.

4. God no longer speaks just to the man, but to both Adam and Eve equally.

5. The separate covenants of obedience for man and woman are integrated into a single covenant for all, with new language to obey god, which this temple worker found to be very uplifting.

6. The robes are no longer applied for the Aaronic Priesthood, but rather, only done once for the Melchizedek/Terrestrial Kingdom. Slippers are no longer considered part of the robes and thus are not removed.

7. Instead of "That will do" after covenants, the text now says 'Thank you'.

8. The Law of the Gospel is now referred to as the "Higher Law".

9. The Law of Chastity is expressed with more equality.

10. At the end of the dramatic / movie section, BOTH Adam and Eve direct comments to the audience, and Eve has the last word.

11. No veiling of women.

12. Total time was between 1 hour 20 and 1 hour 22 minutes, compared to over 1 hour 40 for the prior endowment.

Sealings:

We are awaiting any report as to if the Sealing has changed."

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:40 pm

People I know who have used them reticently state that even with the backlog, it only takes a week or two for SLC to process them. They must be getting better with pushing them though the process despite the noticeable uptick in volume. Also note that with most businesses, things usually get back logged around Christmas due to people being out of the office. They may very well get back to a more normal number as people get back from brake and are able to tackle to backlog.

Additionally, I think that QM writes the removal request in such a way that they must process it within 60 or 90 days Failure to do so will invoke legal penalties. They can't drag their feet. I'll have to dig out my paperwork from my computer at home.

The ID thing is new. They didn't need that when they processed mine. If you are concerned about what info is getting sent, you could always message QM and talk about your concerns with them.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:42 pm

Despite any actual changes, it's still just lipstick on a pig. One of the most damaging policies still remains... the 'one-year penalty/no civil marriage before' is still in place.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:43 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:33 pm
2. The movie is new, consisting of little live action at all, mostly still pictures, even of Adam and Eve, with voice-over narration. There is new music, beautiful and appropriate.

So even with the temple being "spared no expense", they cheap out and go to extremes to minimize the cost to film the new movie. Wow!

To be fair, the whole 'return and report' section was really annoying and anti-dramatic. I would be glad to see that gone if I ever attended.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:03 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:40 pm
People I know who have used them reticently state that even with the backlog, it only takes a week or two for SLC to process them. They must be getting better with pushing them though the process despite the noticeable uptick in volume. Also note that with most businesses, things usually get back logged around Christmas due to people being out of the office. They may very well get back to a more normal number as people get back from brake and are able to tackle to backlog.

Additionally, I think that QM writes the removal request in such a way that they must process it within 60 or 90 days Failure to do so will invoke legal penalties. They can't drag their feet. I'll have to dig out my paperwork from my computer at home.

The ID thing is new. They didn't need that when they processed mine. If you are concerned about what info is getting sent, you could always message QM and talk about your concerns with them.
I don't know if you've followed their recent announcement. The church told them they will not process resignations from QM to the church. QM has to submit them to KM now for review and to avoid "fraud". I don't think anyone is getting confirmation for submissions for the last several weeks, and QM paused submissions to them to make some updates.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:04 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:43 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:33 pm

So even with the temple being "spared no expense", they cheap out and go to extremes to minimize the cost to film the new movie. Wow!

To be fair, the whole 'return and report' section was really annoying and anti-dramatic. I would be glad to see that gone if I ever attended.

Sounds a lot like a powerpoint presentation.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:06 pm

Disregard: I typed basically the same thing Thoughtful said a couple posts earlier:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3837#p51834
Last edited by wtfluff on Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...