Temple changes

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Tudor_Princess

Temple changes

Post by Tudor_Princess » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:15 pm

I've just seen on another forum that there's been some changes made to the endowment session, particularly for women. No one will say what they are, of course 'out of respect to their sacred nature'.
It just strikes home to me again how this us all just down to Nelson re configuring the church to his specifications. Most of the changes seem to be positive thankfully but how can anyone think this is God's doing? They are following the whims of a group of old men. I feel so relieved I'm following my own path and making my own decisions about life now, not waiting for someone over in America (no offense) to tell me what to do.

wtfluff

Re: Temple changes

Post by wtfluff » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:34 pm

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:07 pm

Since we've been discussing this on the thread linked above, maybe we can talk about the other point you're making in your post Tudor.

It's clearly not God's doing. It's clearly the work of humans who think they know and speak on behalf of God according to their own interests and interpretations of will.

I think it's interesting when you step back and compare the last 3 Prophets and their accomplishments. You can see unique patterns of leadership and direction and minuscule progress. For example, generally speaking:

Hinckley - he was clearly an effective leader at a pivotal time in the church. He was savvy enough to recognize the need for good PR and to turn the church into the media company it is today. He was a smart leader during good times. The church advanced forward.

Monson - he was ineffective as a leader in his advanced age and rumored dementia. Nothing significant happened other than the missionary age change towards the last part of his reign as prophet. He steered clear of many social issues and leaving the church with a bland sense to always "steady the good ship Zion!"

Nelson - pardon the pun, but he's had to revive the heart of the church. While Monson was busy wiggling his ears and wondering what day it was the church was challenged from every direction. Nelson must have had a lot of grudges to settle from past years as a junior apostle. He's single handedly confused the members by rebranding the namesake of the church, kicked Dieter out of the FP, and opened the eyes of temple attending women across the world.

The church has always been boring and while it fundamentally still is and always will be, at least President Nelson will keep everyone on their toes. He may just be the Elder Packer everyone wanted to see run the church into the ground!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Tudor_Princess

Post by Tudor_Princess » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:00 am

Red Ryder my bad.i didnt realise there was already a thread. But the points you make about leadership aeiinteresting and spot on.

hmb

Post by hmb » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:40 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:07 pm
While Monson was busy wiggling his ears and wondering what day it was the church was challenged from every direction.
Hahaha. Makes me think of Hermey from Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer. "Wiggling his ears..."

I would consider going back IF they did away with all the interactive stuff, and provided popcorn for the movie. Alcohol could be available at your own expense.

dareka

Post by dareka » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:46 am

hmb wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:40 am

Hahaha. Makes me think of Hermey from Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer. "Wiggling his ears..."

I would consider going back IF they did away with all the interactive stuff, and provided popcorn for the movie. Alcohol could be available at your own expense.
If they still charged 10% to get in (for the popcorn experience), they could very well throw in some alcoholic beverages at no charge. ;-)

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:02 am

Tudor_Princess wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:15 pm
It just strikes home to me again how this us all just down to Nelson re configuring the church to his specifications. Most of the changes seem to be positive thankfully but how can anyone think this is God's doing?
I was at a primary teacher meeting and one of the other teachers expressed his thoughts that the 2 hour church with home study was the lord accelerating the separating the wheat and tares. I presume he thinks this because only the wheat will do home study and the tares will have even less church. We didn't discuss the new endowment...
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:30 pm

Linked wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:02 am
Tudor_Princess wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:15 pm
It just strikes home to me again how this us all just down to Nelson re configuring the church to his specifications. Most of the changes seem to be positive thankfully but how can anyone think this is God's doing?
I was at a primary teacher meeting and one of the other teachers expressed his thoughts that the 2 hour church with home study was the lord accelerating the separating the wheat and tares. I presume he thinks this because only the wheat will do home study and the tares will have even less church. We didn't discuss the new endowment...
Every time that wheat and tares business comes up, I remind whoever brought it up that the parable says you can't separate them, not that you can. It's usually a 100% backwards interpretation like the BS you heard in the meeting.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.