Dan Vogel on Mormon Stories right now... really fascinating stuff

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
jfro18

Dan Vogel on Mormon Stories right now... really fascinating stuff

Post by jfro18 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:00 pm

I think he's been going a good 3-4 hours now and he's only up to treasure digging and getting the plates, but Dan Vogel is just amazing at his wealth of knowledge along with being able to debunk some of the conspiracies about Joseph that critics use as well. He definitely doesn't believe but he's also corrected John Dehlin a few times when he's stretching a story to mean something it doesn't.

You can find it live on Facebook live right now (just go to the MOrmon Stories Podcast page) or check it out later on their Facebook page or once he posts it on the site.

Just wondering if anyone else is listening and what you think... I'm amazed at listening to some of the treasure digging stuff and how it all plays into the Book of Mormon's creation as well.

Red Ryder

Re: Dan Vogel on Mormon Stories right now... really fascinating stuff

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:25 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:00 pm
He definitely doesn't believe but he's also corrected John Dehlin a few times when he's stretching a story to mean something it doesn't.
You mean when he's leading and redirecting the interviewee to answer his question in a certain way? :lol:

I still have to laugh at the FARMS review and calling Dan a modern day Korihor.
Many of Vogel's books have been critically reviewed by members of FARMS. For example, in 1991, Mormon religion professor and FARMS scholar Stephen E. Robinson suggested that Vogel's arguments closely resemble those of Korihor, an atheist polemicist in the Book of Mormon.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:34 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:25 pm

Mormon religion professor and FARMS scholar Stephen E. Robinson suggested that Vogel's arguments closely resemble those of Korihor, an atheist polemicist in the Book of Mormon.
Now there's some circular reasoning....using the item that is in question and unproven as proof of the falsity of someone who is real....🙄
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:49 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:25 pm

You mean when he's leading and redirecting the interviewee to answer his question in a certain way? :lol:

Haha... he was certainly being led in many directions but was really great at rebutting anything he couldn't prove in a scholarly way which was actually really helpful to me as a listener because you knew that he was looking to be fair to what the evidence states.

Was a great interview although I think overall it was about 6 hours long and they basically went from Joseph's origins to the Book of Mormon... they didn't get into Book of Abraham much or anything produced after for the most part! :shock:

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:25 am

I keep checking the episode list. I hope it will show up soon.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:15 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:25 am
I keep checking the episode list. I hope it will show up soon.
You can view them at https://www.facebook.com/mormonstories/ -- you don't even need to have a FB account to watch the videos. They're near the top since he just recorded them the other day.

I thought they were really great- especially when discussing the pre-Book of Mormon stuff and how/why JS did it.