Oh the times they are a changin'

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Hagoth

Oh the times they are a changin'

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:03 am

What do you think of Krysten Sinema's swearing in?

Exmo Lesbian BYU graduate Krysten Sinema was sworn into congress by Mike Pence with her hand on a law book that contains the constitutions of the United States and Arizona, rather than the Bible. I wonder what a) Mike Pence and b) Mitt Romney were thinking?

Come to think of it, it really does make a lot more sense to swear on the constitution of the country your serving than to swear on an ancient middle eastern law book. For one thing, one of those two documents outlaws slavery while the other gives instruction for properly beating your slaves.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Corsair

Re: Oh the times they are a changin'

Post by Corsair » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:38 am

I rather liked Sinema's choice for her book during her swearing in. It's a hopeful sign that she will be interested in the rule of law, not just the whims of one side of her constituency.

I will have to bring this up with my conservative in-laws, primarily for their reaction which I will find humorous. I live in Arizona and I saw the senatorial race between an interesting Democrat and a largely uninspiring Republican (Marth McSally). Furthering the humor is that while Sinema is openly opposed to President Trump, McSally was a Never-Trumper. The Trump voters in Arizona really didn't have a clear choice if they like President Trump's agenda. This is simply an observation, not a complaint.

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:32 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:03 am
Come to think of it, it really does make a lot more sense to swear on the constitution of the country your serving than to swear on an ancient middle eastern law book. For one thing, one of those two documents outlaws slavery while the other gives instruction for properly beating your slaves.
I can't help but think about all those states passing laws banning Shari'a Law- and then using the Bible for oaths to uphold the constitution- with little thought to the similarities with Mosaic law.

I am hoping to see success for Sinema- she seems articulate and carries herself well.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:43 pm

Times are changing, but the law hasn't. It's a huge fallacy across the Christian world that the Christian god founded and rules everything our federal and state governments do. I used to think that way. According to WikiP, Theodore Roosevelt did not use a Bible when taking the oath in 1901. Both John Quincy Adams and Franklin Pierce swore on a book of law, with the intention that they were swearing on the constitution. Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in on a Roman Catholic missal on Air Force One.

According to Constitution: Article VI, Clause 3, our elected officials are bound only “by oath or affirmation” to support the Constitution; "...no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.” So don't help me God!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

alas

Post by alas » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:34 pm

And speaking of Shari’a law, two members of our new Congress were sworn in on a Koran. I believe that is a first and second.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:46 pm

I believe agnostics and atheists get a raw deal in the USA. I'm all over the spectrum in religion and politics, but I'd rather vote for Michael Shermer than Pat Robertson.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:08 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:46 pm
I believe agnostics and atheists get a raw deal in the USA. I'm all over the spectrum in religion and politics, but I'd rather vote for Michael Shermer than Pat Robertson.
That may be getting better due to a cultural shift, but there's still a lot of momentum from the days when it was political suicide to be an atheist. Honestly I can never remember needing somebody to be religious to get my vote, so I'm not sure what the turn off is for most voters.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

crazyhamster

Post by crazyhamster » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:31 pm

crossmyheart wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:32 am
Hagoth wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:03 am
I can't help but think about all those states passing laws banning Shari'a Law- and then using the Bible for oaths to uphold the constitution- with little thought to the similarities with Mosaic law.

I am hoping to see success for Sinema- she seems articulate and carries herself well.
Exactly. The hypocrisy makes reason stare.

misterfake371

Post by misterfake371 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:06 pm

I wish Sinema would have sworn in on the Bible. I'm a Christian conservative Republican, in that order, just like Mike Pence.

I'm also a Bob Dylan fan, so I clicked on the the title of this thread. :)

Swearing in on the Bible is tradition in this country, a good tradition, and I think it's important to keep good traditions going.
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. Ecclesiastes 12:13

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:48 am

Why do they have to swear on anything? Why can't they just raise a hand and swear by their own integrity? Heaven knows plenty of liars and scoundrels have sworn on the Bible.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."