QuitMormon is back online!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
RubinHighlander

QuitMormon is back online!

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:18 pm

Some of you here are already privy to this story about QuitMormon.com, especially if you are on exMoRedit, but wanted to post up about it here on NOM in case any of you reach escape velocity.

I had used QuitMormon.com and submitted resignations for myself, DW and DD late last November. About that same time the COB decided it was no longer accepting resignations from that service. Working with Kirton/McConkie (the COBs strong arm), QuitMormon worked it out and is hopeful this new way of submission flows much faster.

The requirements now includes an uploaded picture ID and signature, which QuitMormon only used for verification and does not send to the COB.

These good folks are providing this service for free, so if you want a tax deductible donation to something more worthy than the COB, you might throw a little thanks their way.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Re: QuitMormon is back online!

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:01 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:18 pm
These good folks are providing this service for free, so if you want a tax deductible donation to something more worthy than the COB, you might throw a little thanks their way.
Anything less than 10% would still be a bargain.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:27 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:01 pm
Anything less than 10% would still be a bargain.
Truth!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

Random

Post by Random » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:46 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:18 pm
The requirements now includes an uploaded picture ID and signature, which QuitMormon only used for verification and does not send to the COB.
It's nice to know that the ID won't go any further than QuitMormon.

I went through the guy before he started QuitMormon. Two of my kids used QuitMormon. I'm glad we were able to get out before this mess arose.

And I am very, very grateful. Going through an attorney meant I wouldn't have to deal with church leaders threatening my very salvation if I left (and I probably would have caved in and not resigned because of trained obeisance to "the man").
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:02 am

Random wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:46 pm
And I am very, very grateful. Going through an attorney meant I wouldn't have to deal with church leaders threatening my very salvation if I left (and I probably would have caved in and not resigned because of trained obeisance to "the man").
Yes, working with local leaders is a roulette wheel, never know what you'll get. For a couple of years after sending the email to those local leaders I didn't want to be bothered. Last month a couple of former ward friends "ministers" came over and I had a very open conversation with them. I'm sure I was then labeled toxic and it will be interesting to see if anymore show up. I'm sure once my name is off the books that might also send them a sign they should not or need not come by anymore. Of course, I wouldn't put it past some new zealot in the ward that feels his or her obligation to save those that jumped off the old rusty dinghy and bring them back onto the boat. We'll see.
--Douglas Adams

Random

Post by Random » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:58 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:02 am
Yes, working with local leaders is a roulette wheel, never know what you'll get.
So true. And you never know what kind you'll get. (I was never active in that ward. I had a visiting teacher after a while, and the bishop's counselors came over about a year or so after I moved here. They thought I had just moved in. The RS pres may have come over once. So, my interaction with them was very minimal.)
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:17 pm

Well it's the middle of Feb 2019, we resubmitted the requests with ID verification and we are still waiting. Quickmormon did it's work, now the bottleneck is at Kirton and McKonkie...

https://quitmormon.com/queueTimes
QuitMormonWaitingFeb19.JPG
QuitMormonWaitingFeb19.JPG (36.93 KiB) Viewed 7377 times
--Douglas Adams

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:21 pm

The submissions to TSCC are piling up, currently at 4k+, with the estimate to a response out into April. Either Kirton and McConkie don't have their $hit together or they are putting resignations way down on their priority list. Maybe we the 4k people need to spin up a class action suite against the COB to motivate them a bit.
--Douglas Adams

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:29 pm

Isn't there already a legal precedent?

Once you send in your letter, you're out?

Isn't that why most people sent a certified letter in the mail before Quitmormon? Once that certificate comes back recognizing receipt, you are legally no longer a member.

So by that standard, you use quitmormon and you're out. No longer a mormon. Confirmation is then just an administrative function to reflect you've been flagged in the database as "removed name".

Quit mormon is just a tool for convenience so that church people don't have to contact you, they contact your (power of) attorney.

Is the church not processing them fast enough, or not at all?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:53 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:29 pm
Frozen like deer in the headlights.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:05 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:29 pm
Isn't there already a legal precedent?

Once you send in your letter, you're out?

Isn't that why most people sent a certified letter in the mail before Quitmormon? Once that certificate comes back recognizing receipt, you are legally no longer a member.

So by that standard, you use quitmormon and you're out. No longer a mormon. Confirmation is then just an administrative function to reflect you've been flagged in the database as "removed name".

Quit mormon is just a tool for convenience so that church people don't have to contact you, they contact your (power of) attorney.

I get it Red, legally we can consider it done, but I really want that letter back from the COB. I plan to make a victory drive around Tsquared with my middle finger out the window when I get it. It's cathartic.
--Douglas Adams

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:11 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:05 pm
I plan to make a victory drive around Tsquared with my middle finger out the window when I get it. It's cathartic.
Wait... You have to resign before you can give the middle-finger wave to Tsquared?

I'm doing it WRONG! :mrgreen:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:17 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:11 pm
RubinHighlander wrote:
I plan to make a victory drive around Tsquared with my middle finger out the window when I get it. It's cathartic.
Wait... You have to resign before you can give the middle-finger wave to Tsquared?

LOL! No rules there Fluff! Actually got the idea from a NOM coworker. He's dealing with lots of anger issues and I told him we could head over there anytime. I just decided getting the letter would be a good excuse to finally do it. I might even walk up and touch the sacred COB building. I'll have to leave it at that. As much as I'd like to take it to the next level, it's probably not a good idea to get sited for public urination.
--Douglas Adams

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:55 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:17 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:11 pm
RubinHighlander wrote:

LOL! No rules there Fluff! Actually got the idea from a NOM coworker. He's dealing with lots of anger issues and I told him we could head over there anytime. I just decided getting the letter would be a good excuse to finally do it. I might even walk up and touch the sacred COB building. I'll have to leave it at that. As much as I'd like to take it to the next level, it's probably not a good idea to get sited for public urination.
I get a bit sad on some evenings when I drive towards home on UT-85 and I crest one of the hills and can clearly see all three of the great-and-spacious fake-mason buildings in the southern part of the SL valley... And I only have two middle fingers. :cry:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:17 am

RubinHighlander wrote:

I get it Red, legally we can consider it done, but I really want that letter back from the COB. I plan to make a victory drive around Tsquared with my middle finger out the window when I get it. It's cathartic.
I live in non-Mormonville, and the LDS church isn't located somewhere I usually go so I rarely drive by it. That said, shortly after I resigned, I was doing some externship work that required me to drive by the LDS church every morning. It felt freaking great to drive by it the first few days flipping it off while drinking my morning coffee. I always say one of the best things about leaving Mormonism is that it set the bar so low for feeling like a badass. ;)

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:33 am

Finally!

Congratulations!

We have received confirmation from the church's law firm, Kirton McKonkie, that your name has been removed from the church's records.

The church no longer provides confirmation letters to QuitMormon.com. This email is the only confirmation available at this time, but we plan to add an official QuitMormon.com resignation certificate, and will contact you when it's available.

Sincerely,
The QuitMormon.com team
--Douglas Adams

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:08 pm

Considering the backlog of registrations is piling up, up to 4,562 as of me writing this, sounds like TSCC, sounds like some doesn't want to put any more labor into handling these than they have to. They are still not keeping up with incoming resignations.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Random

Post by Random » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:49 pm

Congrats, Rubin.

This email is the only confirmation available at this time, but we plan to add an official QuitMormon.com resignation certificate, and will contact you when it's available.
I'm glad I got a letter I could print out (even though it was to the attorney and not to me), but I'm sad that I didn't get a certificate.

I'm guessing they no longer send out letters once K&M got hold of it and began to streamline things.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:50 pm

Yep, Just This Guy. Exactly.

PK