Called in to Meet with SP Counselor

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
slavereeno

Called in to Meet with SP Counselor

Post by slavereeno » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:57 pm

DW is getting called in to meet with a counselor in the SP. Of course, there is no indication as to what it is about. This will happen on Sunday.

Linked

Re: Called in to Meet with SP Counselor

Post by Linked » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:30 pm

Were you invited to go with her? Or is this a solo meeting?

Maybe she is getting called into a stake calling. But don't they usually invite the spouse for those?
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

achilles

Post by achilles » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:21 pm

I'm really in favor of boundaries regarding this kind of thing. "In order to make an appointment I need to know the reason for the meeting."

We've been taught to just accept this stuff without asking why. Boundaries are totally healthy and important.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:26 pm

Stake Ministering Coordinator?
Stake Funeral Potato Baker?
Stake Gynecologist Exam Scheduler?
Stake 2 Hour Block Coordinator?
Stake Building Cleaning Coordinator?
Stake Temple Veil Unwearing Monitor?
Stake Relief Society Bulletin Board Mgr?
Stake Sleeve Length Checker?
Stake Feminist Leanings Squasher?
Stake Social Media Fast Coordinator?

The possibilities are endless?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Brent

Post by Brent » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:12 pm

Hubby should bw there if a calling is extended...

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:29 pm

It always amazes me when a church official sets up a meeting as if a member is one of the official's employees. The secretary calls you -- "Hey, the boss want to meet with you in his office." (Say, what??? ) Just reply, "May I please ask what is the purpose of the meeting?" If the secretary says, "He'll tell you the purpose when he meets with you", then say, "Well no, then I won't be attending". Seriously, why do they think they are that members should attend meetings without knowing the topic in advance? Your wife should decide if the meeting is of benefit to HER, not the other way around. JMO -- Wndr.

slk

Post by slk » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:55 pm

My DW already does RR's #3, but actually gets paid for it.

We give them way more power than they ought to have. I'd have to go with Wonderment on this one.

alas

Post by alas » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:06 pm

While I agree with those who suggest you should know what the appointment is about for YOURSELF, this appointment is for your wife and she should be allowed to either go without any idea what it is about, or choose to demand to know what it is about. Allow your wife to be the kind of Mormon she wants to be, rather than demanding that she be the kind of Mormon you want her to be. Mormonism has taught men that they get to make decisions for the wife as if she is a three year old. Please treat your wife as fully adult and let her do the “good obedient Mormon” thing and go to the meeting and to accept or reject a calling as she sees fit. Without having you be involved, it is most likely a small calling. For bigger ones, they ask the “presiding authority” first.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:04 pm

I have been asked to tag along to the interview. I suppose its for her, I changed my mobile phone number a few months ago and until a few days ago I had not updated my contact info in LDS.org :o So its remotely possible the meeting is for me but it was worded like "Sister Slavereeno, would you and you husband be able to meet with president so-and-so..." We have decided we think we know what it is about, and its likely a stake calling for her. I have tried to have no opinion about it other than to support her decision either way.
Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:26 pm
Stake Ministering Coordinator?
Stake Funeral Potato Baker?
Stake Gynecologist Exam Scheduler?
Stake 2 Hour Block Coordinator?
Stake Building Cleaning Coordinator?
Stake Temple Veil Unwearing Monitor?
Stake Relief Society Bulletin Board Mgr?
Stake Sleeve Length Checker?
Stake Feminist Leanings Squasher?
Stake Social Media Fast Coordinator?

The possibilities are endless?
:lol: Those sound like callings we needed back when wards had 600+ people in them.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:36 am

This seems to be a Mormon thing for the love of secrecy. You can't know that purpose of a meeting until you are there. You can't know the commitments you make in the temple until you have already agreed with them.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Random

Post by Random » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:49 pm

Slavereeno, what was the meeting for?
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:33 am

Random wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:49 pm
Slavereeno, what was the meeting for?
Steak calling for DW, which she ended up turning down. I am not entirely sure what to think about that. I should have done a return and report on this, but I am in a bit of a whirlwind right now with what I perceive to be DWs NOMish behavior. She is not being very TBM of late.

I definitely have done too much pushing with DW, I did almost everything wrong. I am really making an effort to back off and give her as much space as I can.

On a side note the SP councilor was awesome about it. Of the three members of the SP, he is the most nuanced and when serving he was the easiest to get along with. It went well, great outcome, no drama.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:57 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:33 am
Steak calling for DW, which she ended up turning down.
I would love a steak calling. Ribeye, T-bone, or even a London broil. Even better with a side lobster calling. ;)
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

græy

Post by græy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:22 am

slavereeno wrote:
Steak calling for DW, which she ended up turning down. I am not entirely sure what to think about that. I should have done a return and report on this, but I am in a bit of a whirlwind right now with what I perceive to be DWs NOMish behavior. She is not being very TBM of late.
This is promising? Maybe?

It is so strange how much concern/fear it causes when a spouse starts behaving unexpectedly, from the perspective of both the believing and non-believing spouse.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:44 pm

moksha wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:57 pm
slavereeno wrote:
Steak calling for DW, which she ended up turning down.
I would love a steak calling. Ribeye, T-bone, or even a London broil. Even better with a side lobster calling. ;)
That's how they wrangled me into my Stake calling, I thought it had something to do with savory roasted bovine flesh. It was actually just a part time unpaid job doing secretarial work and babysitting a grown man so his wife would feel secure that he he wasn't secretly humping the female congregants.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:47 pm

græy wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:22 am
slavereeno wrote:
This is promising? Maybe?

It is so strange how much concern/fear it causes when a spouse starts behaving unexpectedly, from the perspective of both the believing and non-believing spouse.
Who knows? DW seems to still feel a considerable amount of pain from my disaffection.