How are we not talking about this

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Kishkumen

How are we not talking about this

Post by Kishkumen » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:48 pm

the first story currently on LDS dot org

https://www.lds.org/blog/a-message-of-g ... 9?lang=eng

Red Ryder

Re: How are we not talking about this

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:57 pm

TLDR; thanks sisters for participating in my challenge. We need you!

Love Wendy, errrr I mean Russell!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:00 pm

Well let's see, if he heard back from around 10k women...let's triple that number because not all of them took time to post on RMN's social media. So 30k women did at least one or more of the challenges. 16m members, 30% of which are active, so 7.7m and let's say 30% of those are adult women? So 2.3m women means he had about a 1-2% success rate.

He could have directly appealed to them with his temple changes and said "Look what I did for you with the temple changes! You don't have to veil your face or promise to your husband, it's shorter, church is shorter...don't you see I'm the prophet/seer man!? What did TSM or Hinkley ever do for you?"
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:39 pm

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:48 pm
the first story currently on LDS dot org

https://www.lds.org/blog/a-message-of-g ... 9?lang=eng
I'm not reading through that drivel, so yeah... Nothing to talk aboot.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:34 am

My ward took on that challenge with great fervor. January 2019 Fast and Testimony meeting was all about the experiences that the women in our ward fulfiling these prophetic goals, not about two hour church. My dear wife certainly gave her testimony during that meeting and it was really weird seeing her recount her feelings of finishing the Book of Mormon in December. Because I had literally just walked into the room as she finished and she told me about her renewed testimony of the Book of Mormon as she closed the last page in Moroni.

She had a mystical experience and got the encouragement of her social group after she bore her testimony. I'm still the bad guy because it simply looked like defiance at my unbelief. I'm quite certain that my subjective view was simply a stark contrast to her own experience.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:18 am

Boy, the definition of the literal gathering of Israel had really changed. Now by not reading tweets for a while you are somehow accomplishing it.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Random

Post by Random » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:58 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:18 am
Boy, the definition of the literal gathering of Israel had really changed. Now by not reading tweets for a while you are somehow accomplishing it.
It really has changed. "We've always been at war with Eastasia" type of thinking.
. . . my four invitations to help gather scattered Israel. You will remember that the four invitations included:

Participate in a 10-day fast from social media and any other media that bring negative and impure thoughts to your mind.
Read the Book of Mormon by the end of 2018.
Establish a pattern of regular temple attendance.
Participate fully in Relief Society.

If you participated in any of these challenges, I want you to know that you are helping to gather scattered Israel.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:39 pm

I took a sh*t today....“what a blessing!!”

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:44 pm

Hermey wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:39 pm
I took a sh*t today....“what a blessing!!”
In that case, I've got a blessing currently in progress.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:05 pm

Corsair wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:34 am
My ward took on that challenge with great fervor. January 2019 Fast and Testimony meeting was all about the experiences that the women in our ward fulfiling these prophetic goals, not about two hour church. My dear wife certainly gave her testimony during that meeting and it was really weird seeing her recount her feelings of finishing the Book of Mormon in December. Because I had literally just walked into the room as she finished and she told me about her renewed testimony of the Book of Mormon as she closed the last page in Moroni.

She had a mystical experience and got the encouragement of her social group after she bore her testimony. I'm still the bad guy because it simply looked like defiance at my unbelief. I'm quite certain that my subjective view was simply a stark contrast to her own experience.
This must be painful and difficult....

It's also very unfair.

For instance if you had just finished reading the BoM and told your spouse or the SP that you had been given a testimony that the book was not true, they would feel quite at liberty and within their rights to castigate you and tell you you are deceived by Satan. No hesitation or consideration of your feelings.

But when the shoe is on the other foot and you're talking about their testimony, you have to shut up and say nothing. You are not allowed to express your opinion of the BoM without some dire consequences coming your way.

And really it isn't your wife's fault. It's mainly the fault of the cultish organization that has brain washed her.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:21 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:00 pm
He could have directly appealed to them with his temple changes and said "Look what I did for you with the temple changes! You don't have to veil your face or promise to your husband, it's shorter, church is shorter...don't you see I'm the prophet/seer man!? What did TSM or Hinkley ever do for you?"
Church is shorter now? I've been out of the loop for a while, fill me in.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:34 pm

Mad Jax wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:21 pm
RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:00 pm
Church is shorter now? I've been out of the loop for a while, fill me in.
2hr block Jan 1, big “revelation” to the new prophet.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:35 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:34 pm

2hr block Jan 1, big “revelation” to the new prophet.
I saw on reddit that if you look at the Come Follow Me manual it's got a 2017 copyright on it, which is just perfect to negate the idea so many church members have that Nelson just was inspired to do it and implemented it quickly. I need to look at DW's manual and confirm that, but it's hilarious to me.

sunstoned

Post by sunstoned » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:31 pm

I think they are looking at ways to stop the exodus of members, especially the millennials. one way do do this try and make church suck less by cutting down the amount of time you have to be there.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:59 am

sunstoned wrote:I think they are looking at ways to stop the exodus of members, especially the millennials. one way do do this try and make church suck less by cutting down the amount of time you have to be there.
It almost worked on me. I currently leave after sacrament and come back to pick up the family after the block. It was actually better for me and more convenient when I had 2 hours of free time rather than 1 hour before going to get them.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:13 pm

One hour less on the block won't put much dent in it. With PEC at 0700, then an hour for your calling's meeting, then set up, followed by the block, then home teaching four families, then maybe you get two hours before a fireside, which has to be set up, then broken down afterwards, you're still looking at the whole day being filled up. The LDS day of rest is busier than a lot of days where I had to work.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Random

Post by Random » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:35 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:35 pm
I saw on reddit that if you look at the Come Follow Me manual it's got a 2017 copyright on it, which is just perfect to negate the idea so many church members have that Nelson just was inspired to do it and implemented it quickly. I need to look at DW's manual and confirm that, but it's hilarious to me.
Mine says: ©2019 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc.
All rights reserved.
Printed in the United States of America

English approval 2/17
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:41 pm

Random wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:35 pm
Mine says: ©2019 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc.
All rights reserved.
Printed in the United States of America

English approval 2/17
Maybe it's the English approval they were referencing - that they had created the manual two years ago knowing this was coming, and yet Nelson proclaims it as if it's revelation that just happened under his watch.

It's incredible, really. He's revealed nothing but a game of musical chairs and people eat it up. How did I ever believe this stuff?!

Random

Post by Random » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:05 pm

Maybe it's the English approval they were referencing
Probably.

I think when one is raised in something, it's difficult to see anything else. But over time, the weight gets heavier. For example, I heard people around me extol the value of paying tithing to the corp and how they got financial help from God when they paid it. That never happened to me. It was one among many things, but finally something happens to split things wide open and you begin to see. Then, you can't really unsee.

PK

sunstoned

Post by sunstoned » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:40 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:59 am
sunstoned wrote:I think they are looking at ways to stop the exodus of members, especially the millennials. one way do do this try and make church suck less by cutting down the amount of time you have to be there.
It almost worked on me. I currently leave after sacrament and come back to pick up the family after the block. It was actually better for me and more convenient when I had 2 hours of free time rather than 1 hour before going to get them.
This is actually the same type of thing that I did for years. i would attend Sacrament meeting with the family, then either hang out in the foyer or leave and come back just in time to pick everyone up. It was nice to live within walking distance from the Ward house, because sometimes I would just go home and take a nap for an hour or so.