we will compare the word to a seed...

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

we will compare the word to a seed...

Post by deacon blues » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:19 pm

Alma 32:28 .....so we planted the seed. I didn't cast it out. I watched it grow, and so did my friends and family. I noticed it grew, but when I heard others describe it I thought, "it doesn't quite look that way to me. Others said they saw strong branches of obedience, and I saw some branches that looked a little twisted with pride. Others said they saw perfectly formed leaves of temple worship, and I saw some misshaped leaves of self justification. Others boasted of the strong trunk of doctrine, but I saw that it leaned toward the angle of accommodation with prejudice and tradition. Then I saw the others were looking at the leeward side of the tree and I was walking around the whole tree, and saw both the windward and the leeward sides. So I said, "come and look at this side of of the tree," and the others said, "No, I like this beautiful side." I said, "yes that side is beautiful, but it isn't the whole tree. The tree looks straight from the leeward side, but from the other sides you can see it's leaning. Maybe we could do something to make this tree grow straighter." But no matter what I saw, or said, many of the others stood obstinately on the leeward side of the tree. They said, "We can clearly see from here that the tree is perfectly straight." I replied, "All you have to do is walk around the tree, and you can see that it is leaning, and if it keeps leaning farther, sometime in the future it may fall. A couple of the others walked around the tree with me. But the rest of others convinced each other not to look at the tree from any other angle, than the one from which it looked perfectly straight. And the tree kept growing, and the winds blew ......
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

RubinHighlander

Re: we will compare the word to a seed...

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:37 pm

Noice!

We should do a whole new NOMish allegory for the olive tree and the vineyard. 2nd Nephi could stand to gain some entertainment value.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:53 pm

Hey, that's not a tree at all, it's just a cardboard cutout of a tree surrounded by people shouting that it is the most beautiful tree they have ever seen.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:54 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:37 pm
2nd Nephi could stand to gain some entertainment value.
or spiritual value.

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:58 pm

The emperor's clothes are from the fibers of this plant....

græy

Post by græy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:51 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:19 pm
And the tree kept growing, and the winds blew ......
Oh man, now I'm in suspense! What happened to the tree? What happened to the people standing under the tree?
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:28 pm

græy wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:51 pm
deacon blues wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:19 pm
And the tree kept growing, and the winds blew ......
Oh man, now I'm in suspense! What happened to the tree? What happened to the people standing under the tree?
The same thing that will happen to the crusty old captain of the rusty old dinghy and the poor people on that boat that are drinking stale water and eating crappy crackers.

“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE