Sci-Fi of Choice

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Just This Guy

Sci-Fi of Choice

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:18 am

So a random poll to get to know people. What do you prefer:

Star Trek
Star Wars
Firefly
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

crossmyheart

Re: Sci-Fi of Choice

Post by crossmyheart » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:41 am

Firefly

then Star Trek- Next Gen... because Patrick Stewart ;)

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:07 pm

2001 Fan
Mild to Medium Trekkie
Tolerate Star Wars, but they get worse with each one

Blade Runner is my number one
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:35 pm

Firefly for sure, but I really like most sci-fi in general.

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:34 pm

Star Trek
Firefly
Star Wars

But I like them all. Trek and Wars are different, but both do a good job at what they do. Although, the latest Star Trek movies are probably more like Star Wars movies than Trek movies; still fun though.

I recently watched 2001 for the first time to cover my sci-fi bases. It was awesome. They should show that for the temple video, it was almost a spiritual experience for me (are we allowed to bring up mormonism related stuff here?). My 7 year old even liked it!
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:56 pm

Favorite authors:
Larry Niven
Arthur C. Clark
Ray Bradbury
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:01 pm

I have been working through the StarTrek TNG series on Netflix. (Usually in the background while doing something else) Star Trek takes on a myriad of social issues that I think I glossed over as um you know (a believer) that I am kind of fascinated with now.

For example watching S5:E17 "The Outcast" they are addressing the LGBT issues by turning it on its head a little bit. One of the crew falls in love with an alien whose species is supposed to be androgynous. However this alien has female feelings and when it gets caught acting on those feelings, its fellow aliens sentence it to some kind of de-genderizing psychological therapy to cure her of her femaleness. :o

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:33 am

The Star Trek Series. Looking forward to season two of Star Trek Discovery.

Favorite sci-fi/fantasy author - Gene Wolfe. Mr. Wolfe is also my favorite writer in any genre.

Speaking of sci-fi movies, I hope the general public will be accepting of the new movie Alita: Battle Angel. I remember how the movie Dune was hurt by movie reviewers, back in 1984, not being used to complex materials and basically panning the movie because of it. That hurt the box office receipts. I thought the movie was great.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:45 am

Heinlein tops my list, many authors mentioned here also make it. Neal Stephenson and David Weber have written some pretty solid books. Still love Dune, feels trendy to hate it now but I still like it.

Blade Runner 2049 is one of my favorite films despite only being a couple of years old, love The Fifth Element even though it kind of lost something over the years for me. And I have a few staples of Sci Fi that I'll always love:
Attachments
23435334_307428543090194_1637063849_n.jpg
23435334_307428543090194_1637063849_n.jpg (47.86 KiB) Viewed 8644 times
Latest 345.jpg
Latest 345.jpg (14.68 KiB) Viewed 8644 times
23513356445.jpg
23513356445.jpg (49.21 KiB) Viewed 8644 times
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:49 am

moksha wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:33 am
Favorite sci-fi/fantasy author - Gene Wolfe.
I'm with you on this one. Book of the New Sun is amazing. I can only assume that you've also read some Jack Vance.

Evil_Bert

Post by Evil_Bert » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:35 am

I like Star Wars for nostalgic reasons, Original Star Trek for the campiness. I really enjoyed the Expanse.

Reading, I don't read as much Sci-fi as I used to, now most is dystopic futures. I have been reading all of Marko Kloos' books. William Forschten's apocalypse books are good too. A. American's Home series.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:38 am

Seven of Nine.... Enough said!

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:23 pm

I enjoyed Star Trek in their time, particularly Deep Space Nine. The Star Wars movies have profoundly disappointed me in the past couple of years, although I actually liked "Solo: A Star Wars Story" quite a bit.

If I find a magic lamp genie to grant me three wishes, it is possible that I will wish for the 10 season, full series box set of "Firefly" that got fully made in an alternate universe.

I am particularly interested in finding some newer sci-fi authors. Certainly I have read most of the Asimov, Clarke, and Heinlein classics, but I spend far too much time reading non-fiction to keep up with the best sci-fi releases.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:39 pm

As far as reading I loved the "Old Mans War" and its sequels by Scalzi

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:48 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:01 pm
I have been working through the StarTrek TNG series on Netflix. (Usually in the background while doing something else) Star Trek takes on a myriad of social issues that I think I glossed over as um you know (a believer) that I am kind of fascinated with now.

For example watching S5:E17 "The Outcast" they are addressing the LGBT issues by turning it on its head a little bit. One of the crew falls in love with an alien whose species is supposed to be androgynous. However this alien has female feelings and when it gets caught acting on those feelings, its fellow aliens sentence it to some kind of de-genderizing psychological therapy to cure her of her femaleness. :o
That's actually an episode that really sticks out in my mind. I saw that episode when it first came out and it invoke a lot of thought. They showed the benefit of the peace that no-gender offers, but also the problems with taking away choice.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:49 pm

The older they are (Star Trek, Star Wars) the more I like them. I have a pathological desire to relive my youth. :roll:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:20 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:38 am
Seven of Nine.... Enough said!
Oh hells yes! Who here among us who appreciates the female body can say they have not fantasized about the awesomeness under that trekster uniform?
--Douglas Adams

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:14 am

crossmyheart wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:41 am
Firefly
I saw that there was a new "Serenity" move coming out and at first I was exceited for a sequal to the 2005 movie. I was rather disappointed to see it had nothing to do with Firefly.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:24 am

Ghost wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:49 am
moksha wrote:
Favorite sci-fi/fantasy author - Gene Wolfe.
I'm with you on this one. Book of the New Sun is amazing.
Those books culminating with Urth of the New Sun would make for nice twenty episode HBO series, eh?

-----------
Did anyone here watch The Expanse or Killjoys?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:41 am

moksha wrote:
Favorite sci-fi/fantasy author - Gene Wolfe. Mr. Wolfe is also my favorite writer in any genre.
The only book of his I remember reading was Shadow of the Torturer. Which I did enjoy quite a bit.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.