Snow Day

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
2bizE

Snow Day

Post by 2bizE » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:10 pm

How was the weather in your neck of the woods?
It snowed about 12 inches or in Mormon lingo, several inches shy of 2 feet.
~2bizE

wtfluff

Re: Snow Day

Post by wtfluff » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:12 pm

Headed out to shovel some of that "2 feet" right now. :?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Evil_Bert

Post by Evil_Bert » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:46 pm

We got the snow Monday and Tuesday. About 8 inches of snow in the valley. Some of the upper elevations of the Sierras got 6-8 feet or more.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:34 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:12 pm
Headed out to shovel some of that "2 feet" right now. :?
That was some heavy stuff. Not fun to push around. Good exercise though. :)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:57 pm

About 15 inches and still snowing. Sheesh.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:27 am

What is snow?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:29 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:27 am
What is snow?
I had that "Snow" when I lived in Canada for two years, but I so rarely encounter it now.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:32 pm

It's been an interesting week here. Last Wednesday, it was -4F, with windchill to -20 and lower. By Friday it warmed up to +20 and snowed 6 inches. really light and powder stuff. Easy to shovel, but surprisingly slick.

My Tuesday we hit 63F. Yesterday it was cooler, about 45 and raining. On one hand the snow we got has basically all melted, but it is muddy all over the place. Taking the dog out is a mess.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:36 pm

The sun is shining and my office window is open.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:44 pm

Wednesday was a great day to work from home along the Wasatch Front, from Happy Valley to O-Town. Red and orange colors on this map for I-15 and Legacy to 215 are reflective of the lack of skills the average Utah driver has:
Image from iOS.jpg
Image from iOS.jpg (128.34 KiB) Viewed 7271 times
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:33 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:44 pm
Wednesday was a great day to work from home along the Wasatch Front, from Happy Valley to O-Town. Red and orange colors on this map for I-15 and Legacy to 215 are reflective of the lack of skills the average Utah driver has:
Average Utah driver? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say pretty much everyone's driving is not great during a major snow storm that lasts over 24 hours. Well... OK, some are worse than others, but calling out Utah drivers? I'd say Arizona drivers are gonna be worse in a snow storm. :mrgreen:

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:44 pm

14 inches in Sandy yesterday, with two more last night. I just noticed this new category. :o How long has it been up?

PS Thank goodness the kids gave us a snowblower this Christmas. :)
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:56 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:44 pm
I just noticed this new category. :o How long has it been up?
We took a page out of Rusty's Rebranding play book!

Rusty"s Playbook
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:12 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:44 pm
14 inches in Sandy yesterday, with two more last night. I just noticed this new category. :o How long has it been up?

PS Thank goodness the kids gave us a snowblower this Christmas. :)
So who here is old enough to remember the 70's and 80's and how much snow the northern Utah valleys would get on average? It seemed like storms like that last one would roll in every week and there would be snow in the valley from Thanksgiving to March. I remember driving my young family through 2-3' snow drifts trying to get to grandmas's for Thanksgiving dinner. It seemed like it was normal to have 2-4' of snow in the valley all winter long.

Then there was 1985 when we had that record winter and then a hot spring and all the snow melted at once. They had State St sandbagged so City Creek could run down it like a river; I remember seeing a guy canoeing through the city on TV. There are still pumps out on the other side of the Great Salt Lake because in the mid 80's it was rising quickly, it nearly covered I-80 and threatened the SLC airport. Irony is that by the time they got the pumps working the lake was receding naturally. In fact, I remember when I got back from my mission in 85 there was so still so much snow up in the mountains we drove up to Powder Mt. resort and went snow boarding the first week in July.

Times have sure changed. The past couple of years I've only had to plow the driveway a half dozen times or less.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:14 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:33 pm
RubinHighlander wrote:
Average Utah driver? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say pretty much everyone's driving is not great during a major snow storm that lasts over 24 hours. Well... OK, some are worse than others, but calling out Utah drivers? I'd say Arizona drivers are gonna be worse in a snow storm. :mrgreen:
I can't argue with that Fluff! But being on a regular 35 mile commute every weekday, I can attest that at least 30% of Utah drivers should not be on the road even on a dry sunny day.
--Douglas Adams

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:34 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:14 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:33 pm
RubinHighlander wrote:
I can't argue with that Fluff! But being on a regular 35 mile commute every weekday, I can attest that at least 30% of Utah drivers should not be on the road even on a dry sunny day.
All-Righty then... I'll leave you to stew in your "Utah Drivers Suck" confirmation bias.

(Kidding... Only Kidding!)

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:05 am

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:34 pm

All-Righty then... I'll leave you to stew in your "Utah Drivers Suck" confirmation bias.

(Kidding... Only Kidding!)
LOL! Guilty!!!!
--Douglas Adams