Nelson visit

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
slavereeno

Nelson visit

Post by slavereeno » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:07 am

Sigh.

This is giving me fits right now, can't sleep. Sunday is our day with DS and DDIL, it was supposed to be a birthday thing, but now its been usurped by the Nelson fireside. DW confesses she really doesn't want to go at all, neither do I, I know at least two of our kids wouldn't go if they really could voice their opinion, but everyone (except me) will feel guilty or self conscious if they don't go. I could stay home and send them all, but that's not much of a party, me sitting at home alone, wondering what's being said about the "doubters." :evil:

Red Ryder

Re: Nelson visit

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:42 am

Don’t you believe in miracles?

You know how hard those tickets are to come by?

Don’t you want to listen to the Prophet? The Prophet of God?

Which section are you sitting in? Asking for a friend who may have heard the above quotes from his/her spouse! :lol:
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:49 am

slavereeno wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:07 am
Sigh.

This is giving me fits right now, can't sleep. Sunday is our day with DS and DDIL, it was supposed to be a birthday thing, but now its been usurped by the Nelson fireside. DW confesses she really doesn't want to go at all, neither do I, I know at least two of our kids wouldn't go if they really could voice their opinion, but everyone (except me) will feel guilty or self conscious if they don't go. I could stay home and send them all, but that's not much of a party, me sitting at home alone, wondering what's being said about the "doubters." :evil:
There's nothing worse than going to a family event where no one really wants to go in the first place.

I doubt that Nelson will rip doubters- I would assume he would leave that to those beneath him, but if he does cue the sirens.

græy

Post by græy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:46 am

I had a lot of the same thoughts when the Pres came around our part of the world a few months ago.

It took a lot of work to get there, and once we made it into the conference young kids were NOT cooperative. We knew that would happen weeks before when we learned of the schedule and location of the meeting. A few families who were wiser than us decided to just stay home rather than keep kids up through naps and try to eat dinner in cramped stadium seats. But we (DW) knew this would be an important spiritual experience for each of us. I dared to hope that something relevant would be shared that could shed some scrap of light on some portion of my personal doubts.

It was all in vain.

In the end Nelson spoke about the Book of Mormon. He bared his testimony of those prophets "who really lived." (paraphrasing) And testified that the BoM has initiated the gathering of Israel both here on Earth and "beyond the veil."

There was nothing really helpful. The kids hated the whole night. Parents where stressed from trying to keep kids happy. We would have been far better served to take the family out for pizza. But DW doesn't see it that way.

Edit to add: DW was just a stressed, frazzled, and angry as the rest of us but somehow still thinks blessings were or will be received because of our sacrifice. What a blessed night! :roll:
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:55 am

slavereeno wrote:
Sigh.

Do you have the physical tickets in your possession?

What would happen if they magically were ruined in a terrible soda spill accident and were so soaked they fell apart?

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:17 pm

You don't want to go, your wife does not want to go. That should be enough right there. You and your family are not going. If your son and his wife want to go, that's up to them, including up to them to work out any logistical details needed. (transportation, childcare, etc.)

We have multiple adults, why not let everyone act like one?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:32 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Sigh.

This is giving me fits right now, can't sleep. Sunday is our day with DS and DDIL, it was supposed to be a birthday thing, but now its been usurped by the Nelson fireside.
I offer my deepest sympathy, Slavereeno.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster smiled upon me and none of my children actually wanted to go. My youngest, in particular, hates crowds and was quite content to simply attend at the stake center (5 minutes away) instead of the stadium (45 minutes away if traffic is perfect plus be in your seat 30 minutes early or you might lose it). So, I'm going to see it, but it will be a simple evening.

My dear wife is going and probably carpooling with a cousin. They won't be sitting together, of course. The tickets for our ward are way up at the top of the stadium so she will largely be watching it on the jumbotron. This is largely how I will experience the event at my stake center, but my drive and wait will be short and boring. We'll see if the message matches the circumstances.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:27 pm

Thanks all, venting here helps.
Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:42 am
Which section are you sitting in?
To clarify we are just planning on attending a the stake building, not driving to the stadium. I am still assuming this is going to use up the bulk of the evening.

jfro18 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:49 am
There's nothing worse than going to a family event where no one really wants to go in the first place.
Yes, this is interesting to me, I don't think anybody wants to go that badly, and they will all be bored. Maybe with the exception of DIL.

græy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:46 am
In the end Nelson spoke about the Book of Mormon. He bared his testimony of those prophets "who really lived." (paraphrasing) And testified that the BoM has initiated the gathering of Israel both here on Earth and "beyond the veil."
If this is as bad as it gets, maybe sprinkled with a few "covenant paths" at least I am unlikely curl up into the fetal position and start crying out of frustration.

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:55 am
Do you have the physical tickets in your possession?
No just attending at the stake center, what a waste of a good evening.

Just This Guy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:17 pm
We have multiple adults, why not let everyone act like one?
Would be nice! Mormonism has turned us all into emotional children, just waiting to be told what to do next.

Corsair wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:32 pm
So, I'm going to see it, but it will be a simple evening.
Thanks, this is all we will be doing, DW has started the process of moving the other family activities to another day so I don't walk around all day on Sunday with a rain cloud over my head.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:42 pm

Go. Sit where many people can see you on your phone the whole time reading sports pages, watching YouTube videos, doing everything but paying attention to the profit.
~2bizE

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:41 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:42 am
Don’t you believe in miracles?

You know how hard those tickets are to come by?

Don’t you want to listen to the Prophet? The Prophet of God?

Which section are you sitting in? Asking for a friend who may have heard the above quotes from his/her spouse! :lol:
At first I thought this was an ad for scalping the tickets.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:44 pm

Corsair wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:32 pm
slavereeno wrote:
Sigh.

This is giving me fits right now, can't sleep. Sunday is our day with DS and DDIL, it was supposed to be a birthday thing, but now its been usurped by the Nelson fireside.
I offer my deepest sympathy, Slavereeno.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster smiled upon me and none of my children actually wanted to go. My youngest, in particular, hates crowds and was quite content to simply attend at the stake center (5 minutes away) instead of the stadium (45 minutes away if traffic is perfect plus be in your seat 30 minutes early or you might lose it). So, I'm going to see it, but it will be a simple evening.

My dear wife is going and probably carpooling with a cousin. They won't be sitting together, of course. The tickets for our ward are way up at the top of the stadium so she will largely be watching it on the jumbotron. This is largely how I will experience the event at my stake center, but my drive and wait will be short and boring. We'll see if the message matches the circumstances.
I have friends from the Old Pueblo travelling to it. I kept thinking, why not stay close to home and go for a hike afterwards?

I think they are just excited about going to Neilson's Custard and Cafe Rio afterwards.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:16 am

Raylan Givens wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:44 pm
I think they are just excited about going to Neilson's Custard
I think it closed in 2015. That place was a dump.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:07 am

:? Doubt your doubted doubts before you doubt the doubters.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:07 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:16 am
Raylan Givens wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:44 pm
I think they are just excited about going to Neilson's Custard
I think it closed in 2015. That place was a dump.
It looks like you are right. Apparently all the youth temple trips couldn't support it.

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:57 am

So...what did Russ have to say? I was at a baby shower w/ 2 of my daughters. DH made 2 of my boys go w/ him to listen via broadcast at the church. I didn’t bother asking DH about it and my boys said something like it was “most boring 1.5 hours ever.”

Today my FB is filled with pics of families at the stadiun saying “so blessed to be hearing our prophet speak” and “I can’t wait to hear from our prophet!!!!” But no one has shared anything he said. If Russ were really a prohet, and he got up and revealed the future, and God’s actual words for our day, wouldn’t you be dying to share/hear about it???

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:04 am

StarbucksMom wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:57 am
So...what did Russ have to say?
I read that he spoke on the Abrahamic covenant and the gathering of Israel (challenging them to pray for a way each day to help gather Israel). But, I'd love more details too!
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:47 am

StarbucksMom wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:57 am
Today my FB is filled with pics of families at the stadiun saying “so blessed to be hearing our prophet speak” and “I can’t wait to hear from our prophet!!!!” But no one has shared anything he said. If Russ were really a prohet, and he got up and revealed the future, and God’s actual words for our day, wouldn’t you be dying to share/hear about it???
I saw a few recaps last night but nothing that seemed noteworthy.

The one thing I saw that was funny was how RMN gave a priesthood blessing to someone with a spiral injury (I think it was spinal) and that Nelson said he didn't know if he would heal or not... just funny to hear the prophet of the church have to acknowledge that not only do priesthood blessings do nothing, but that as prophet he has no idea what is going to happen in the future.

Other than that I didn't see much but to be fair I didn't look around either. I'm sure there are a ton of recaps on the ex-mormon reddit since a lot of those people had to go because of family.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:50 am

I had the privilege to be in attendance. Here's my report. Any normal person traveling west along the I-10 freeway had to wonder why all these white shirt people were on the freeway. It was embarrassing to be part of one giant mormon caravan. We left at 3:30 and got to the stadium by 4:50 and I purposely parked away from the masses and near the bar and restaurant district. Parking spaces were plenty. We had to walk a little bit farther than we probably needed to but the exit later paid dividends. We walked past a few "anti-Mormons" who were setting up shop. One guy had a nifty utility belt with 6 speakers attached and was giving some street preacher style sermon about Jesus. Another family with 4 or 5 kids dressed in blue "Jesus Saves" t-shirts were handing out flyers. The 5 year old kid stepped in front or me and handed me a flyer. I tried to walk around him but he was taught to block very well. I took his flyer and said thanks buddy! It was a born again Christian flyer. I thought to myself, these people have it all wrong. They should hand out copies of the essays or Fanny Alger flyers but they're clearly fighting a different battle.

We got there about 5:15 and the stadium was half full. Mormon standard time played a part of this. By 5:45 the stadium was mostly full with seats near the top of the third deck empty. The floor space reserved for the youth was a bustle of kids socializing and a few random adults trying to get them to take their seats. The large jumbo screen above the stage area was playing mormon YouTube videos. You guessed it, different alterations of "stay in the boat" themed commercials. Some rugby guy named Sid who went on a mission giving up his professional debut until after.

At about 5:50 everyone stands up when some guy in a suit walked on stage. False alarm. Not the Prophet. Everyone stands for the remainder until the screen lights up with the prophet with Wendy on his arm, waddles through the walkway with his entourage of people. They had a camera man with big lights focused on the prophet similar to a UFC fighter making his entrance to the Octagon. Oaks and his wife were rightfully in 3rd and 4th position behind the Nelson's.

They took the stage, stood for 3 or 4 minutes waving at the crowd then Nelson motioned for everyone to sit down. 15 minutes of standing and you could see people were getting ancy. The camera panned from the back and as it zoomed in, nearly all the kids in the from section were waving and making grand gestures. Nelson thought they were all waving at him so he waved back with a huge grin. Each time the camera panned in, the same hand gestures as waving continued. The kids were simply excited to see themselves in camera. They stopped zooming in from that angle after the 4th or 5th time. I seriously thought Oaks would get up and blast them but he didn't.

They didn't turn any heat on in the building and this was probably expected because out bishop announced it would possibly be cold inside and to bring coats and blankets. Most people did.

Oaks wife spoke first. She was inexperienced in TelePrompTer reading because she seemed lost and scattered. Eyes were flipping to her right then left, then right, then right, then center, then left, then where am I? Her facial expressions were robotic and she quoted Holland the whole time. At one point she even pointed and wagged her finger, then paused to explain that holland originally did that and she was following his example.

Oaks then got up and as he walked past his wife, they embraced in a strange hug as if Kristen wasn't sure what to do. As he talked there was a lot of reverb and echo from where we were sitting. We sat at the top of the first floor section right below the main concourse. From there you could hear the constant noise from the toilets and hand dryers. We must have been right near the bathrooms. During the event there was a constant stream of people walking in and out similar to any other sporting event.

After Oaks was done speaking, Wendy got up to speak. She didn't seem to acknowledge Oaks as they passed on her way to the pulpit. She was carrying her iPad, one of those really big ones. She didn't use the TelePrompTer but rather her iPad. Her make up was heavy, with 80's style blue eyeshadow and heavy red blush. It reminded me of Tammy Faye Baker. She reminisced on the last 13 months, spending her time telling everyone she knew Rusty was a Prophet. She repeated their revelation ritual where Rusty either gets out of bed and goes to the closet with his yellow notepad, or she gets out of bed and leaves the room. She said she's seen the man get increased vigor and is a witness to his Prophetic call. Sometimes a participating witness, and sometimes an "absent" witness when she has to leave the bedroom. Edited to add: she mentioned 2 personal experiences that have her sure knowledge that he was called as a prophet by god and could testify in any court across the country; but they were to sacred to share from the pulpit.

My mind was caught up in the amount if time and energy she took to sell Rusty as the Prophet. As if the Emperor was standing naked and she was convincing the audience of his fine clothes.

Nelson spoke last and looked aged. He told a story of "Robert" who was a friend or relative of Wendy's that severed his spinal cord and that The Lord was going to heal him in due time. Then he tried to compare that to keeping covenants and not getting disconnected from the Abrahamic Covenant. It was a mishmash of mormon buzzwords that seemed lost on the audience. He had lost everyone's attention when he drones on about gathering Israel and preparing for the last days. Early during his talk, 2 vehicles drove up behind the stage area. A big black SUV and a silver luxury sedan.

As he said amen, the traffic beaters got up and hurried for the exits as the choir sang a song. At the end everyone stood up and we walked out while most people stayed standing. As we walked out I could hear people singing "we thank thee o god for a prophet".

We met up with the our kids and the ones in our care (nieces and nephews) got on the freeway and the wife asked how they felt. They complained about the cold, the poor sound, and said they would have rather sat with us in our seats. Then we went to In-N-Out nearby since it was a little after 8:00pm and nobody had eaten anything since 2:00. There were probably 15 other Mormon families who had similar inspiration and disregarded keeping the sabbath day holy by not frequenting restaurants. It was rather funny because some were avoiding eye contact and others just smiled as if they were thinking "that guy gets it!" We got home at 9:30.

Six hours of time spent worshipping the prophet! All I could think of was the fact that this could have been all done by broadcast. There was nothing special said or done that couldn't have been accomplished from satellite broadcast. It seemed to be an ego thing for Oaks and Nelson.

The Emperor is building his legacy!
Last edited by Red Ryder on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:52 am

The things we do for our marriage....

I didn't recap the actual talks because frankly I didn't pay enough attention to them nor do I care to repeat it. The wife recorded the talks for her Sister who is out of town and wanted to go.

Here's a summary from Reddit:
Kristen Oaks

"You Arizona folks must be super spiritchul and super special, because you get to hear from two of the most awesome people (men) in the entire world tonight. Seriously, out of the top fifteen most awesome people (men) in the world, God sent two of them to talk to you tonight. You really should listen because they are awesome and they will tell you awesome things. Also I know times are challenging but if you listen to these two awesome men your life will be better"

Dallin Oaks

"Here are some things that other men (whose names I won't mention, cause they weren't the top fifteen most awesome men in the world, so who cares) said in recent conferences. Also, don't give yourselves labels other than child of God (aka member of the Church of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), cause everything else is temporary, including this list of things that won't specifically include "gay," but you all know that I'm mostly talking about not labeling yourself as gay, wink wink."

Wendy Nelson

"My husband is the number one most awesome man in the world, and despite the fact that he's getting older, he's actually getting younger! Seriously, it's a classic case of Benjamin Button. Sometimes he kicks me out of bed at night so he can write down his random thoughts, other times I preempt it and see myself out of the room so he can write down his random thoughts—sometimes a whole page and a half! He won't let me see what he wrote (that's only for the other 14 most awesome men in the world), but I'm pretty sure it's mind-blowing revelations. Amazingly, this is happening more frequently as he is getting older since he became the prophet, and I know he is the prophet because I had some vague super special experience twice! No, sorry, can't give the deets, it was too super special. Anyway, you should really listen to him because, trust me, he's a prophet."

Rusty Nelson

"I recently tried to heal a close relative with a serious injury, it's something my best friend Jesus could have healed with his eyes closed, but I'm not sure yet how this one will turn out. I'll keep you posted (but only if he is healed by modern medicine, in which case I'll retell this story in an upcoming conference but leave out the modern medicine part)."

[standard general conference gibberish]

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:29 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:50 am
I had the privilege to be in attendance. Here's my report.
I am one of the possibly more privileged who simply went to their local ward building instead of going to Mormon-palooza and see the prophet in person. My dear wife went and she also did not get home until 9:30, but did not avail herself of In-N-Out Burger.

The talks were pretty much how Red Ryder and Reddit described them. I could go into more detail if anyone has questions, but it was largely forgettable. I await what the faithful will take away from the experience. My wife admitted that she probably would not do this kind of event again because of the traffic, crowds, and all of the waiting around.