Sci-Fi of Choice

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Ghost

Re: Sci-Fi of Choice

Post by Ghost » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:48 am

moksha wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:24 am
Those books culminating with Urth of the New Sun would make for nice twenty episode HBO series, eh?
I've thought about what a potential film adaptation might look like, and it's hard for me to imagine anyone taking a chance on it without seriously compromising the story to make it more accessible to audiences. I'm ambivalent toward Urth of the New Sun, but unlike the rest of the series that one could perhaps benefit from being made more accessible.
Mad Jax wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:41 am
Shadow of the Torturer
I would recommend continuing with the series if you liked that book. They only get better as you go along, in my opinion. (Until you reach the fifth book, which is quite a departure.)
moksha wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:24 am
The Expanse
I enjoyed both the book series and the television show. I thought both started out good but not great but I got more invested as I went along. (I'm only on book 4, though.)

Philip K. Dick is one of my very favorite science fiction authors. Although there have been many popular adaptations of his writing, nothing ever lives up to the original material for me.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:07 am

Ghost wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:48 am
Mad Jax wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:41 am
Shadow of the Torturer
I would recommend continuing with the series if you liked that book. They only get better as you go along, in my opinion. (Until you reach the fifth book, which is quite a departure.)
I enjoyed the first four books so much that I was overjoyed when the fifth book came out several years later. It seemed at the time like an ingenious way to tie them all together, while at the same time adding something new.

If this was ever to be made into a limited TV series, like The Game of Thrones, it would need to have enough episodes to do the series justice. Most likely 20-22 one-hour episodes would do the trick. I imagine many of the settings could take place in Eastern Europe, although such settings as the Citadel and the Piteous Gates would be CGI. Do you think Emilia Clarke would make a good Dorcas?

Was also thinking The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever would make for an excellent HBO series.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:48 pm

Oh no. Those books are so boring I wouldn't read them if I was stranded on Mars.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

crazyhamster

Post by crazyhamster » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:28 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:18 am
So a random poll to get to know people. What do you prefer:

Star Trek
Star Wars
Firefly
Yes to all of those. I'm also a big "Stargate" TV franchise fan (all 3 shows) as well as my most recent favourite (but unfortunately cancelled by SYFY) Dark Matter.