The only good option to replace "Mormon"...

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

The only good option to replace "Mormon"...

Post by Hagoth » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:22 pm

...is "Brighamite." No descriptor better represents the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in its current form.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Re: The only good option to replace "Mormon"...

Post by jfro18 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:34 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:22 pm
...is "Brighamite." No descriptor better represents the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in its current form.
I for one would love that change... they'll never do it as the only two important figures in the Mormon church are Joseph Smith and whatever prophet is clinging to life at the moment, but it would at least be an honest depiction of what this church is today.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:19 pm

If I were a believer in ongoing revelation in the current church I would have to call them Nelsonites and then in the not too distant future they would become Oaksites, Ballardites, Hollandites.....you get the picture.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

alas

Post by alas » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:07 am

I suggested this in another thread. But really, the way the church really wants to be known, they should call themselves, “The Only Church More Christian Than Jesus Christ. That might get the message out.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:26 am

Hagoth, why did you choose Brighamite over Josephite?

If the Church would like to steer itself a bit closer to traditional Christianity, the best name I've heard has been the Community of Christ. That name has its own built-in neurolinguistic programming (but I suppose Brighamite and Josephite also have a bit of the same. Together with the now satanic term Mormon, they could well keep adherents permanently in peculiar mode).
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:37 am

If they really want to make the point of who they believe is running things keep it simple “Christ’s Chirch”. No latter day thing a ma bob.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:19 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:26 am

If the Church would like to steer itself a bit closer to traditional Christianity, the best name I've heard has been the Community of Christ. That name has its own built-in neurolinguistic programming (but I suppose Brighamite and Josephite also have a bit of the same. Together with the now satanic term Mormon, they could well keep adherents permanently in peculiar mode).
I chose Brighamite because there are many churches based on Joseph Smith. Ours is one major step away from him via the tinkerings of Brother Brigham. Also, Brigham made everyone get rebaptized into his church. Those who stayed behind simply kept their original baptism into the Josephite church.

BTW Mormon backwards is NOMrom. What do we make of that?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:21 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:19 pm
moksha wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:26 am

I chose Brighamite because there are many churches based on Joseph Smith. Ours is one major step away from him via the tinkerings of Brother Brigham. Also, Brigham made everyone get rebaptized into his church. Those who stayed behind simply kept their original baptism into the Josephite church.

Not sure where you're going with this, but in Reformed Egyptian, "nomrom" means "doog erom."
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:34 pm

alas wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:07 am
I suggested this in another thread. But really, the way the church really wants to be known, they should call themselves, “The Only Church More Christian Than Jesus Christ. That might get the message out.
:lol: :lol: Funny 'cause it's true! They don't worship Christ, they worship Rusty. Who needs Jesus when you have Rusty? :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:50 pm

Reuben wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:21 pm

Not sure where you're going with this, but in Reformed Egyptian, "nomrom" means "doog erom."
[/quote]
A movie about the romantic antics of disaffected Mormons would be a NOMromcom.