Abducted in Plain Sight

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Just This Guy

Abducted in Plain Sight

Post by Just This Guy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:16 pm

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3444312/
On Netflix & Amazon Prime

If you want to scream at your TV...

A Mormom family in early 70's Idaho, had their 12 year old daughter abducted by a ward member. if you want to see how screwed Mormonism can make people,
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Re: Abducted in Plain Sight

Post by Hagoth » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:13 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:16 pm
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3444312/
On Netflix & Amazon Prime

If you want to scream at your TV...

A Mormom family in early 70's Idaho, had their 12 year old daughter abducted by a ward member. if you want to see how screwed Mormonism can make people,
I watched it. Yikes. The FBI agent even said it wouldn't have happened if the parents didn't have such sheltered worldview (or something along those lines). That story is truly jaw-dropping, and a testament to how severely people can be manipulated if they don't know how to critically analyze a situation.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:06 pm

My son was just talking about this a couple of days ago. He highly recommended I see it.

One thing it points up for me is how innocent and sincere a manipulative person can make themselves appear.

When the scriptures talk about "false prophets in sheep's clothing", I think too many people dismiss that, thinking they're sure they would know a bad guy pretending to be good.

Someone once said, "Most often, what I don’t know will have a vastly greater bearing on my life than what I do know."
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:24 am

If anything, The biggest fault I can find with this is that they didn't give this the time it deserved. This could easily be a miniseries to really get into just how messed up everyone is in this.

One thing I was reading about was that the infidelity was not mentioned in the book that was written. It was first made public as part of this documentary. They producers also stated that they suspect that there was more to the handjob, but that is all that the dad would admit to.

According to B's obit, he remarried in the 90's (temple) and was an ordinance worker for 7 years. So there is more punishment church for the dad than there was for a serial child molester and kidnapper.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:58 am

I haven't seen it, but a TBM friend of mine mentioned it to me a couple weeks ago. It reminded me of when my in-laws gave their retirement to their hometeacher to invest for them and my husband and brother in-law confronted them about it. "He's our hometeacher, he wouldn't do anything bad to us!" (My response to my husband: "So was Ted Bundy.")

I think this write up in The Atlantic was good.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... gs/582145/

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:22 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:24 am
They producers also stated that they suspect that there was more to the handjob, but that is all that the dad would admit to.
Undoubtedly, they did play a sound bite of the father referring to it as a "homosexual affair."
Just This Guy wrote:
According to B's obit, he remarried in the 90's (temple) and was an ordinance worker for 7 years. So there is more punishment church for the dad than there was for a serial child molester and kidnapper.
Whoa.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:34 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:22 pm
Just This Guy wrote:
They producers also stated that they suspect that there was more to the handjob, but that is all that the dad would admit to.
Undoubtedly, they did play a sound bite of the father referring to it as a "homosexual affair."
Just This Guy wrote:
Whoa.
Folks that were in B's stake in Las Vegas area have said he was in a bishopric there too. As a convicted child rapist and admitted kidnapper, he would then be able to interview children his victim's age behind closed doors about sex.

Say it again for the people in the back-- the church protects and enables predators.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:41 am

Is this on Amazon Prime? I couldn’t find it.
~2bizE

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:05 am

It's on Amazon Streaming, but it is not included with Prime. You have to pay to rent it from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Abducted-Plain-S ... B07JFQGBJZ

It is streaming on Netflix.
Last edited by Just This Guy on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:18 am

Just finished this yesterday. I was flabbergasted. I wanted to scream out "dumb ass!!" multiple times. Those were different times when trust was just default.

græy

Post by græy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:32 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Do you have a link to this? I tried searching but every obit I could find only listed family who survived him and funeral service times.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:40 am

Okay, it gets even more interesting.

The original was on Findagrave.com. Apparently it has been taken down. This person kept a screenshot of the original.
https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... berchtold/

græy

Post by græy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:40 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:40 am

The original was on Findagrave.com. Apparently it has been taken down. This person kept a screenshot of the original.
Just... wow. Who is orchestrating this kind of cover-up?
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:28 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:34 pm
Folks that were in B's stake in Las Vegas area have said he was in a bishopric there too. As a convicted child rapist and admitted kidnapper, he would then be able to interview children his victim's age behind closed doors about sex.
Wow, all of this is unbelievable! Here's a more detailed update of his life:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AbductedInPlai ... ding_more/
I decided to post an update for the latter part of B’s life, in order to give more insight and story line for those that wonder wth happened during the times no one filled in the blanks.

In 1990, B married an elementary school teacher. He became worthy enough, in the church’s eyes, to become a temple ordinance worker. Even though he was already a registered sex offender, for a child he victimized after Jan. Broberg’s lack of intervention affected many children besides their own. B continued adding to his victim count, instead of spending that 20 years in prison he was facing for taking Jan to Mexico.

In 1997, they moved to a small, predominantly Mormon town, in Nevada. B frequently volunteered at his wife’s elementary classroom, even though he had already spent time in prison, and was a registered sex offender.

Also, he became involved in the Mormon church there as well, like he had elsewhere. He was appointed to a leadership position in what’s referred to as the Bishopric. A registered sex offender! He sometimes conducted what is called “worthiness interviews” with church youth.
Does anyone know if this guy was ever ex'd???

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:25 am

AllieOop wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:28 pm

I can't find any info on it. Based on the fact that he was a temple worker up until his death, I would guess he was not, but that is just a guess.

Note that he was "disciplined" after the first kidnapping, but that was just a dis-fellowship. Given that he was later a temple worker and in a bishopric, He obviously got though that unscathed.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:43 am

græy wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:40 am
Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:40 am

Just... wow. Who is orchestrating this kind of cover-up?
Okay, this is purely speculation on my part, I welcome being proven wrong:

Findagrave.com is a part of the Ancestry.com umbrella of websites. Ancestry.com was founded by two Mormons form BYU. While I can't find anything about the current CEO, It is a reasonable assumption that LDS people are still heavily involved in the company. We do know that They bought genealogy data from the church in the past.

I could see a couple different reasons for taking it down:
1. The information was not flattering to the church, so it was pulled.
2. With the release of the documentary and people subsequently linking to the obit, it was attracting too much traffic to the site and their servers couldn't handle the traffic load.
3. They were unable to verify its authenticity. The original posing looked like it was scanned out of a newspaper archive. However, I have been unable to find anything about where it actually was published. So it would be reasonable to take it with a grain of salt.

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:25 am
AllieOop wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:28 pm

I can't find any info on it. Based on the fact that he was a temple worker up until his death, I would guess he was not, but that is just a guess.

Note that he was "disciplined" after the first kidnapping, but that was just a dis-fellowship. Given that he was later a temple worker and in a bishopric, He obviously got though that unscathed.
Unbelievable. Thanks.

I've been reading more over on reddit and there are more posting who knew him later in life. They confirm that he was allowed access to elementary school kids and was also serving in a Bishopric. The leaders really failed this child (and other children he abused) and so did her parents....big time.

This documentary appears to be getting quite a bit of attention and Jan Broberg is speaking out too:
https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archi ... GRISlxKiUk

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:01 pm

I downloaded a copy of the documentary. Hope I get around to watching it.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:26 am

I was disappointed that the Church was mentioned so little in the documentary. Not because I wanted the Church to get bad press - not that I mind that - but I think it is difficult for the non-Mormon viewer to understand the context of the manipulation the family experienced. Without the Church, it would have been much harder for Berchtold to gain the family’s trust. We all know that the Church creates the perfect environment of trust for a con man to work in. It’s easy to see the family as stupid - which they were - but they had also been conditioned to be trusting and helpful to their fellow ward members.

Given the ripe environment for cons in the LDS Church, I’m honestly surprised this kind of thing doesn’t happen way more often than it does. If serial predators had any idea how easy the pickings are in the Church, they’d be joining in droves.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph