Took DW to the temple today

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
MalcolmVillager

Took DW to the temple today

Post by MalcolmVillager » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:26 am

We are in Bangkok and hit up a few Buddhist temples (Emerald Buddha, Reclining Buddha). I found some commonalities with LDS temples, and certainly many differences.

Both require payment for admission (LDS 10% of gross or net income, audited by the BP : Biddhist payment of flat rate tithing / admission ticket).

Both have strict dress codes (LDS modesty enforcing undies : Buddhist no shorts, sleeveless, shoes, or miniskirts).

Both rent clothes to visitors who come unprepared for the dress requirements (LDS, Inc rents directly : Buddhist have vendors outside to rent pants and shirts to cover immodest legs and arms/shoulders).

Both have strict codes of health (LDS use self proclaimed compliance with abstinence of prohibited smoking and drinking : Buddhists charge fines up to $5k USD for smoking onsite and up to $10k USD for drinking onsite).

Both require the removal of street shoes.

Both have holy areas where only the worthy of certain criteria may enter.

Both have symbolic hand signals/tokens used during worship.

Both have space that has moved me to a higher plan, frame of mind, and eternal perspective. (We meditated in front of a buddha for 20 minutes and I found it profoundly moving and centering).

Both discouraged the use of tattoos by its adherents.

Both had worshipers who appeared more focused on outward appearances than inward connection to spirituality.

Only one claims to have authority to speak and act for god.

Only one claims to be the excluding source of salvation and eternal purpose.

Only one acknowledges suffering as the common human experience.

Only one let's visitors in with open arms.

1smartdodog

Re: Took DW to the temple today

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:59 am

Perhaps one of the great misfortunes of the church is it’s tendancy towards exclusionary policies. The temple being at the forefront of that misguided belief.

Keeping out the unclean and degenerate out makes the privileged feel more comfortable, but does little for those that may need the support the most.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Newme

Post by Newme » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:09 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:59 am
Perhaps one of the great misfortunes of the church is it’s tendancy towards exclusionary policies. The temple being at the forefront of that misguided belief.

Keeping out the unclean and degenerate out makes the privileged feel more comfortable, but does little for those that may need the support the most.
I so agree! In that sense, lds temples seem anti-Christ.

That, and they are used to make money. I sometimes fantasize about getting up in testimony meeting and saying, “I believe that if Christ would come to see how this church is run, he would whip those using the temples to make money - just as he did before. In his name, amen.”

Newme

Post by Newme » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:15 am

Malcom,
Sounds like an interesting experience! I do love how though they have standards, they’re open to all. I took my kids to a Buddhist temple (no entrance fee) and I so wish I could have a picture of their expressions. At the time, they were pretty hyper, mischievous & just non-stop. But the moment they walked into that temple with the insense, chanting, monks in robes etc, their jaws dropped and for once they were speechless. But one guy was so nice to them & helped them feel more relaxed & comfortable.