Cocaine Mummies

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Just This Guy

Re: Cocaine Mummies

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:08 am

You took 26 words: I'll counter with 5: Joseph Smith made it up.

I win! :mrgreen:
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:52 am

...Dammit...

I can feel Holey the Ghost tell me it's true. I have a testimony that JS was a profit, because the book JS wrote says it's true.

Prove the ancient Egyptians didn't trade with Ancient Americans. You can't prove it didn't happen.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:35 pm

dogbite wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:22 pm
Your view assumes a linear authorized writing that was never rewritten. I think the evidence of Bible origins and timing don't support that view.

But there is no evidence of an Exodus, a Canaanite conquest or a general external settling of Canaan. Canaan collapsed over a period of 1000 years and Israel slowly assembled itself from the local leftovers.

I think the first book of the OT written was Deuteronomy in the 650-600 era BCE. The others were assembled from related traditions and harmonized generally but edits for political and priestly purposes continued into second temple times.

Rather than the Jews tending toward pagan practices readily, yhwh was an existing pagan deity that Hezekiah gave monolatrist support for in the pantheon. Monotheistic Judaism appears to have first originated in the Exile and been refined in second temple times. Jewish monotheism is a late development, not an early one.
Similarly to what Hagoth mentioned above, I am coming at this from a more traditional Biblical approach than an academic or critical one. I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff out there for me to learn. It's frustrating having all this come at me at this stage of life.

So many books, so little time....

I'm seriously thinking of just spending more time enjoying the great things life offers at this point and letting someone else worry about the mysteries... 8-)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:03 am

Palerider wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:35 pm
dogbite wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:22 pm
Jewish monotheism is a late development, not an early one.
Similarly to what Hagoth mentioned above, I am coming at this from a more traditional Biblical approach than an academic or critical one.
As would have Joseph Smith, the fictional Lehi, and the LDS Magazine sponsored archaeologists. I'm totally with your assessments about the realities of the ancient world, dogbite. I'm just trying to differentiate between that and the version that comes to us through religious tradition.

Check out this update of some of the amazing new Book of Mormon evidence they have found at "Bountiful." In light of this I may have to reevaluate my faith crisis :lol: :
http://www.ldsliving.com/Photos-of-the- ... nd/s/81470
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:04 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:03 am
Check out this update of some of the amazing new Book of Mormon evidence they have found at "Bountiful." In light of this I may have to reevaluate my faith crisis :lol: :
http://www.ldsliving.com/Photos-of-the- ... nd/s/81470
They found a bead! That does it, my faith has been restored.
:lol:

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:48 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:03 am
I think I may have discovered even more evidence of an ancient Bountiful.

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha