What are you reading right now?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
crossmyheart

What are you reading right now?

Post by crossmyheart » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:37 am

In homage to the "What are you drinking right now" thread.

For pleasure/leisure I am currently reading the children's 5 book series titled Fablehaven by Brandon Mull. I am on book 4. This is definitely not my genre, but I have a tween and I am trying hard to connect with her. This has been a fairly successful endeavor. She has already read the series- so I am reading it slowly to bait her along and maintain the conversation. She loves giving me hints about what is going to happen next. I had no idea there was a movie until today- going to have to rent it on Vudu or something once we are done.

I tried to engage her with the Harry Potter series- but she likes the strong female lead. We recently read A wrinkle in Time and then saw the movie. Any suggestions for other series?

When I am not reading children's books, I prefer non-fiction, one of my favorites is Team of Rivals about Lincoln.

What are you reading?

wtfluff

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by wtfluff » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:58 pm

crossmyheart wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:37 am
What are you reading?
The Skeptics' Guide To The Universe

This is the first physical book I've actually read in quite a while. Purchased to help support the Rogue's. All my other "reading" lately has been of the audio version, a bit of Kindle here and there too. I'm hoping The Skeptics' Guide can help me untangle my mormon brain just a little bit.

If anyone else is reading it, let's "book club" aboot it. (Though I'm reading at a very slow pace. This one is gonna take me a while...)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:51 pm

I just finished rereading Chaim Potok’s The Chosen and My Name is Asher Lev. Before that I read Jonathan Haidt’s Coddling of the American Mind and Johann Hari’s Lost Connections. I have a stack of books and I’m not sure where to go next. A biography of Bing Crosby during the war years, I’m planning to reread The Book of Separation (Tova Mirvis) and Dr. Zhivago (Pasternak), I also see a copy of Will Cather’s The Professor’s House. And Buzz: the nature and necessity of bees (Thor Hansen).

I really love reading. I read mostly non-fiction now – I think it gives my brain something to do. I used to read fiction exclusively but good fiction is difficult to find and when I do find it, I become a really crappy parent.

Linked

Post by Linked » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:48 pm

I just finished listening to Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman, a great read on how our brains work and some of the fallacies people fall into because of how we naturally process information.

Currently listening to Masters of Doom, a book about how id software was started and how games like Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Quake were made. John Carmack is a genius.

Currently reading Wonderland by Stephen Johnson, a look at how if necessity is the mother of invention then play is the father, detailing some of the driving forces for the world's technological advances.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:56 pm

The trilogy The Tripods is a fun set to read out loud to children.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

hiding in plain sight

Post by hiding in plain sight » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:32 pm

On Book 8 of the wheel of time.

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:18 am

crossmyheart wrote:
I tried to engage her with the Harry Potter series- but she likes the strong female lead. We recently read A wrinkle in Time and then saw the movie. Any suggestions for other series?

When I am not reading children's books, I prefer non-fiction, one of my favorites is Team of Rivals about Lincoln.

What are you reading?
Have you read any of Diana Wynne Jones? I think she more than gives J.K. Rowling a run for the money -- but most of her books I can think of have male protagonists. Howl's Moving Castle has a female lead, and it might whet her appetite for more.

I love Team of Rivals too! -- I am a real Civil War buff, and just finished The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery. I am consistently amazed that while the moral issue of human chattel slavery tore the whole country apart, in the Mormon history of the time it barely registers.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:29 am

MerrieMiss wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:51 pm
I just finished rereading Chaim Potok’s The Chosen and My Name is Asher Lev. Before that I read Jonathan Haidt’s Coddling of the American Mind and Johann Hari’s Lost Connections. I have a stack of books and I’m not sure where to go next. A biography of Bing Crosby during the war years, I’m planning to reread The Book of Separation (Tova Mirvis) and Dr. Zhivago (Pasternak), I also see a copy of Will Cather’s The Professor’s House. And Buzz: the nature and necessity of bees (Thor Hansen).

I really love reading. I read mostly non-fiction now – I think it gives my brain something to do. I used to read fiction exclusively but good fiction is difficult to find and when I do find it, I become a really crappy parent.
I love your reading list! And oh, how I relate to your last comment -- when my kids were really little I got hold of Robin Hobbs' Liveship Traders and Royal Assassin series -- and decided that I would have to give up reading fiction until they were older. I would get lost in the world of her book and come back to find that my entire refrigerator had been emptied onto the kitchen floor, or all the silverware pushed through a new hole in the living room window screen. :lol:
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:01 pm

The Son, by Phillip Meyer. There is a TV show on AMC with Pierce Brosnan based on the book.

About Indians, theft, and oil. All in that order. I like it.

I am also looking at Wallace Stegners, Mormon Country. Lots of interesting tidbits about three intermountain west.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:02 pm

hiding in plain sight wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:32 pm
On Book 8 of the wheel of time.
Good series
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:04 pm

crossmyheart wrote:
In homage to the "What are you drinking right now" thread.

For pleasure/leisure I am currently reading the children's 5 book series titled Fablehaven by Brandon Mull. I am on book 4. This is definitely not my genre, but I have a tween and I am trying hard to connect with her. This has been a fairly successful endeavor. She has already read the series- so I am reading it slowly to bait her along and maintain the conversation. She loves giving me hints about what is going to happen next. I had no idea there was a movie until today- going to have to rent it on Vudu or something once we are done.

What are you reading?
I have been reading non-fiction, but switched back into fiction. I love a good character novel, authors like Charles Frazier or Richard Russo come mind.

Evil_Bert

Post by Evil_Bert » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:25 pm

I read a lot... a whole lot. I read 166 books last year. Read 28 so far this year. I keep track on goodreads.com.

Currently reading Blood Work: A Tale of Medicine and Murder and Admissions: Life as a Brain Surgeon.

Read about 80% non-fiction.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:30 pm

I’ve read all the Bosch series by Michael Connolly and now downloaded two books to take on a cruise. One is a John Grisham. And another is from a writer I haven’t read before. I like the spy novels by Robert Ludlum. I’ve reach most of the Jack Reacher books.
~2bizE

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:46 pm

Reading Starship Troopers again just because it's my favorite book. I don't think it's Heinlein's best in a critical way, but it's my favorite since everything in it is stuff that I like (philosophy, military tech and tactics, etc).
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Evil_Bert

Post by Evil_Bert » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:38 pm

Starship Troopers is a great book along with Forever War.

Bosch series is good along with the John Sandford Prey novels. James Lee Burke Robicheau books are another favorite.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

redjay

Post by redjay » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:52 pm

Black box thinking by Matthew Syed. Basically is about the ability of an industry to learn, i.e. aviation good at learning from mistakes, healthcare not so much.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:19 pm

Books finished recently:

The Year of Magical Thinking (Joan Didion)
Gift from the Sea (Anne Morrow Lindbergh) – the book has held up surprisingly well for being 60+ years old
Permanent Record (Edward Snowden)
We Need to Talk about Kevin (Lionel Shriver)
I Miss you When I Blink (Mary Laura Philpott)

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:09 am

Just finishing Sapiens. Starting Recovering Agency. Also, a new John Grisham
~2bizE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:45 am

Midnight in Chernobyl by Adam Higginbotham is the next book on my agenda. A friend recommended it after he had watched the Chernobyl miniseries. While the series was great, it concentrated on the failures in the thinking of the participants and some facts were change in support of the narrative. This did not at all make it a bad movie. But this book was intended to be entirely accurate and particularly talk about how other nuclear teams around Europe discovered the elevated radiation and what they did.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:26 am

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:58 pm
crossmyheart wrote:
What are you reading?
The Skeptics' Guide To The Universe
Ha! I'm actually still working on The Skeptics' Guide.

And truthfully, I've read, and re-read many sections. This is a book that I think will be my new scripture. I'm hoping that this type of scripture can untangle the more than half a lifetime of MORmON/religous knots that my brain is made up of. (Shout-out to FetchFace.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...